Low Carb Diets

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
kalettes are just a genetically modified cross between kale and brussel sprouts.
@hooose Each serve is only 210 kJ. Out of the average 8500 kJ the human body uses each day may I ask where the remaining 8290 kJ comes from. Of course you may be eating 2 kg of the stuff.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Surely not just unwilling but unable. I don't see how the world population even at the level it is right now can be fed on unadulterated animal protein. This is not to say that those of us who need to eat mainly animal protein to stay healthy should sacrifice ourselves for the welfare of the planet.

Please do remember the internet really IS global! Many, many, many folk live in thinly populated areas with cows grazing out the window, or near enough close by. Or buy meat that is sustainably farmed. There is such a thing as sustainable ecological agriculture. Some great docos on this subject which I can't google right now, I'm too busy eating my meat-y breakfast....

Reactions: zand

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
ps which will see a nice drop in my Dawn Phenonmenoned (excuse spelling) blood glucose level... (the meat and the cream and the cheese that is. Thanks cows!)

Reactions: ella b and zand

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting video by Peter Ballerstedt on the subject of sustainable agriculture with ruminants:

Reactions: Guzzler

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here here!
Meant to be posted elsewhere

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Interesting video by Peter Ballerstedt on the subject of sustainable agriculture with ruminants:

"A steak a day keeps the Doctor away". I'm sold. Peter's info on dietary protein needs is well documented as being too low and the figures referenced for ruminant protein v plant protein are also known to both sides of the divide. Which leads me to the conclusion that to obtain enough protein from a plant based diet (remembering that one would have to have 30% more plant based food to equal that of red meat) and considering this protein naturally comes alongside carbohydrates then for we people with a metabolic dysfunction wrt carbs a diet higher in animal based foods is only logical.
Note to self: Do not worry about pasture fed meat and its exorbitant price (another marketing ploy?, just call me a nasty suspicious minded old woman!).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"A steak a day keeps the Doctor away". I'm sold. Peter's info on dietary protein needs is well documented as being too low and the figures referenced for ruminant protein v plant protein are also known to both sides of the divide. Which leads me to the conclusion that to obtain enough protein from a plant based diet (remembering that one would have to have 30% more plant based food to equal that of red meat) and considering this protein naturally comes alongside carbohydrates then for we people with a metabolic dysfunction wrt carbs a diet higher in animal based foods is only logical.
Note to self: Do not worry about pasture fed meat and its exorbitant price (another marketing ploy?, just call me a nasty suspicious minded old woman!).

Where possible, I use the local butcher who announces vociferously that all his meat comes from local farms, excellent grass fed conditions, all animals traceable, etc. etc.

From what I have read the culture of meat production here in the UK is fundamentally different than in the United States where much of the information about grain fed animals in feed lots comes from. Also where much of the more... enthusiastic... vegan propaganda comes from. Unfortunately, many people don't realise this and confuse the different countries' information, both the farming/feed lot methods and the naming conventions of meat, whether is it 'grain fed' or grass fed' and all the gradations in between.

It is a minefield of misinformation and emotive propaganda.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Where possible, I use the local butcher who announces vociferously that all his meat comes from local farms, excellent grass fed conditions, all animals traceable, etc. etc.

From what I have read the culture of meat production here in the UK is fundamentally different than in the United States where much of the information about grain fed animals in feed lots comes from. Also where much of the more... enthusiastic... vegan propaganda comes from. Unfortunately, many people don't realise this and confuse the different countries' information, both the farming/feed lot methods and the naming conventions of meat, whether is it 'grain fed' or grass fed' and all the gradations in between.

It is a minefield of misinformation and emotive propaganda.

I just buy what I can afford, simple as. Coincidentally, I went up to the village yesterday and found the last remaining independant butcher has shut up shop. His meat and home made pies etc were of such high quality that it was worth the added expense and the traipse. I was so disappointed, the villsge lost its greengrocer years ago and the only independant shops left are a hair dressers and a funeral parlour.