Low carb don't get enough fibre

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just watching the morning news and they are talking about bowl problems. The lady (not a doctor or dietitian but is a pharmacist) says us low carb eaters don't get enough fibee. Not sure about the rest of you but i get tons of fiber from vegg and my low carb breads. Most carbs I take in ate almost all fibre.

Do the rest of you get enough fibre? I would like to call BS on that statement she made.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny you mention that but I posted a question yesterday about ordering some psyllium as I definitely don't get enough fibre (on Paper) but have no problems bowel wise............

But I do have Kefir every day :)

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seeds, nuts, green veg, berries and high fibre low carb bread. The only thing I have really changed is no pasta, rice and spuds - all white anyway, never on the good list. You can never win with some people! Eat what makes YOU feel good.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get my fibre from my Lidl rolls, flaxseed in my yogurts, and vegetables. I am also lucky I can eat 2 or 3 small spuds and also peas. I have no problems bowel-wise as far as I know.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I include a couple of tea spoons of psyllium husks in water each morning and I have no problems at all. It is available in a commercial product in powder form and also in capsules in Aussie.

C

catherinecherub

@satkins.
The pharmacist, like a lot of other people, thinks that if you lower your carbs then you must be living on protein.
Lower carbs means the Atkins diet to a lot of people.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I get enough fibre/bulk from green veggies, nuts & seeds, berries. etc...and I'm on a very low carb diet. A bit of fat also helps move things along nicely too!:D

The only time I ever had any issues was for a week or so when I was switching over to my low carb diet. Now I think I'm probably more regular than previously.

People eating a well balanced low carb diet ought not have any issues.

Robbity

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since diagnosis, I was including bran (not bran cereal) with my breakfast and all went well. Ahem.

Whilst away for a protracted period, I couldn't source bran for weeks, but, as a revelation to me, I found my issues were completely resolved by upping my fluids further. I would have bet my pocket money I was drinking enough, because I consciously drink water, but clearly not.

Since then, I've been better than ever and haven't bought any bran. Just a thought.

S

serenity648

My tummy troubles have improved since I stopped eating white starches, and reduced all starches.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here I am again with the magical avocado. That with green veg and nuts is all the fiber I need. Too much fiber causes me more issues than not enough and the type of fiber as well. No go on the flax chia etc.