1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb don't get enough fibre

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by satkins, May 12, 2016.

1. satkins

satkins Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just watching the morning news and they are talking about bowl problems. The lady (not a doctor or dietitian but is a pharmacist) says us low carb eaters don't get enough fibee. Not sure about the rest of you but i get tons of fiber from vegg and my low carb breads. Most carbs I take in ate almost all fibre.

Do the rest of you get enough fibre? I would like to call BS on that statement she made.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. mfactor

mfactor Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Funny you mention that but I posted a question yesterday about ordering some psyllium as I definitely don't get enough fibre (on Paper) but have no problems bowel wise............

But I do have Kefir every day :)

3. lizf4619

lizf4619 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Seeds, nuts, green veg, berries and high fibre low carb bread. The only thing I have really changed is no pasta, rice and spuds - all white anyway, never on the good list. You can never win with some people! Eat what makes YOU feel good.

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I get my fibre from my Lidl rolls, flaxseed in my yogurts, and vegetables. I am also lucky I can eat 2 or 3 small spuds and also peas. I have no problems bowel-wise as far as I know.

5. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I include a couple of tea spoons of psyllium husks in water each morning and I have no problems at all. It is available in a commercial product in powder form and also in capsules in Aussie.

6. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

@satkins.
    The pharmacist, like a lot of other people, thinks that if you lower your carbs then you must be living on protein.
    Lower carbs means the Atkins diet to a lot of people.

7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Yes I get enough fibre/bulk from green veggies, nuts & seeds, berries. etc...and I'm on a very low carb diet. A bit of fat also helps move things along nicely too!:D

The only time I ever had any issues was for a week or so when I was switching over to my low carb diet. Now I think I'm probably more regular than previously.

People eating a well balanced low carb diet ought not have any issues.

Robbity

8. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Since diagnosis, I was including bran (not bran cereal) with my breakfast and all went well. Ahem.

Whilst away for a protracted period, I couldn't source bran for weeks, but, as a revelation to me, I found my issues were completely resolved by upping my fluids further. I would have bet my pocket money I was drinking enough, because I consciously drink water, but clearly not.

Since then, I've been better than ever and haven't bought any bran. Just a thought.

9. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

My tummy troubles have improved since I stopped eating white starches, and reduced all starches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Here I am again with the magical avocado. That with green veg and nuts is all the fiber I need. Too much fiber causes me more issues than not enough and the type of fiber as well. No go on the flax chia etc.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook