Low carb flax bread.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look for ground or milled flax seed which will have a fine-ish texture. Be careful about storage as apparently it can go rancid and get a fishy pong - I've not had this happen yet but others have.

Sesame flour also gives a nice fine texture - I make muffins savoury from this which cut in half are great toasted - I do cheese on toast this way. You can also use these for bacon butties with the bacon fat as "dip".

Robbity

Thanks v much, @Robbity - I'm keen to get cracking! I've got loads of linseeds, so might try making my own.

The muffins sound good, too, although I'll leave the bacon for you as I'm a pescetarian. Enjoy your extra portion!

RobPL

Yep, ground / milled.
This is the one in Tesco:
fb8cb8cf11ad40fcebe61e1d2c1c0e72.jpg

If you keep it in the fridge once opened it keeps for 45 days I think without going rancid. I only recently found this out. It does say on the back but it's not something you think to do with baking supplies.

RobPL

Hehe. I just hope you enjoy it. I went looking for a smaller tin yesterday to try and force it to be higher but couldn't find one.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about thinking laterally and slicing it longways?? :D
Robbity

dukidoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
I bought the almond flour in Sainsburys ,it was with the flours and bread mixes made by Sukrin.

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bear in mind, as in the pic the loaf came out very low so either use a mini tin to force it higher or possibly try extra baking powder.
Bear in mind, as in the pic the loaf came out very low so either use a mini tin to force it higher or possibly try extra baking powder.
You could use xantham gum (powder) - in the free from section of supermarkets - as it is used in gluten free cooking to make things rise!!

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - my middle fell out! :arghh:

I used a knife to check it was cooked then turned it out of the tin and the middle fell out! I poked it all back in and cooked it for about another 25 minutes. I guess the tin must make it a bit deeper than yours, @RobPL. I've tasted it and it's lovely, if a little beauty-challenged! I won't post a pic, I'll try to preserve its dignity!

Well, lesson learned for next time! :hilarious:

Reactions: 2 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear - my middle fell out! :arghh:

I used a knife to check it was cooked then turned it out of the tin and the middle fell out! I poked it all back in and cooked it for about another 25 minutes. I guess the tin must make it a bit deeper than yours, @RobPL. I've tasted it and it's lovely, if a little beauty-challenged! I won't post a pic, I'll try to preserve its dignity!

Well, lesson learned for next time! :hilarious:

sounds like my baking! :hilarious:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, ground / milled.
This is the one in Tesco:
fb8cb8cf11ad40fcebe61e1d2c1c0e72.jpg

If you keep it in the fridge once opened it keeps for 45 days I think without going rancid. I only recently found this out. It does say on the back but it's not something you think to do with baking supplies.

I have a pack of that stuff in my cupboard which I opened over 3 months ago, and it's still in perfect condition.

The 45 day thing is probably an old wives tale, she does get around a lot.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried doubling the baking powder and it's vile lol.
Yes I've done that a couple or times.

Try adding extra water as that's recommended to help things rise - I seem to vaguely remember it's something to do with the steam generated...:wideyed:

Something I've eaten has thrown me out of ketosis. I really hope it's not this bread.
I go in and out of ketosis all the time. I used to believe that it took time & effort to get back, but have since discovered that once you're "keto adapted" this switching is normal and not a problem. Also if you're using Ketostix test strips, they measure surplus ketones in your wee, and after a while they may stop registering as your body starts utilising them better. This happened to me.

Robbity

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recipe.
Most of the carbs were from the flax. Mine was 4g per 100g. If you use lower you can get this at 5-6g for the whole loaf.
I merged about 3 different recipes that I found.

2 cups flax.
1 tbsp baking powder.
1 tsp salt.
1 tbsp truvia sweetener.
1 tbsp Italian herbs (can use more or leave it out).
5-6 eggs (I used 6 medium).
1/2 cup water.

Mix all dry ingredients together.
Blend up the eggs.
Add the water and eggs to dry mix and stir well together.
Leave for 3 mins at least to thicken.
Pour into your greased / lined etc tin. I used a rectangular silicone mould and didn't use any grease.
Bake at 180 for 30 mins.

Is your 180 fan or non fan oven?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rock and roll! I've just taken a perfect loaf out of the oven! I turned up the heat a bit to gas mark 4.5 and left it in for 40 mins. Hey presto - my middle didn't fall out!

Feeling v pleased with myself (especially as it doesn't do a thing to my glucose levels!). Thanks again @RobPL for the recipe. :)

Reactions: 2 people