Low carb for T1

I am getting a lot of mixed answers about doing a low carb diet (30g of carbs per day) and having T1, some people say it’s dangerous, some people say it helps manange BG levels! I only want to be on low carb until I lose a stone and then I’ll probably go to 50g of carbs per day to maintain. Can people give me their experiences and advice?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not doing a very low carb diet per se, but the amount of carbs I eat per day varies a lot (anywhere between something like 30 and 150, I think). Which means the amount of insulin I take varies a lot as well. I guess if you are confident adjusting insulin to food it shouldn't be dangerous. Basal insulin need might change too on a low carb diet, as may your ratio's. Again, if you're fine adjusting your insulin I don't see why it would be a problem.

The other part of the supposed danger is ketones. Should you go low enough with your carbs you'll develop ketones. Normal starvation ketones, just like when people haven't eaten for some time. The problem is that with T1 ketones are usually very alarming.

Tagging @Mel dCP , I think she eats pretty low carb.

Good luck!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, thanks for the tag! I eat 30g or less a day, and my control has never been better - although after a few weeks I had to start dosing for protein. I haven’t lost any weight though.

cculleton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone advise how to make insulin pump adjustments basal/i:c ratios/bolus etc. to kick off and sustain a low carb diet?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am getting a lot of mixed answers about doing a low carb diet (30g of carbs per day) and having T1, some people say it’s dangerous, some people say it helps manange BG levels! I only want to be on low carb until I lose a stone and then I’ll probably go to 50g of carbs per day to maintain. Can people give me their experiences and advice?

Hi, if you are feeling more confident with your recent type 1 diagnosis and feel as though you want to go 'low carb' or as I call it reduced carbs, why not start at 60 to 75 carbs and gradually reduce it. Best to take little steps at first and keep testing your BG. I went down to 7 st 1 lb before diagnosis and obviously put the weight back on, which is normal as your body is getting the 'medicine' it needs to get you back to good health. Good luck and I hope you find a happy medium, take care.