Low Carb For Years And Now Low Energy

anon125

In JRs book low carb problems solved problem low energy

it reads in part...

All most people need to do is to raise their carbohydrate level enough that their diet stops being ketogenic. An intake level only slightly over 100 g of carbs a day will usually do this. Stick with this diet for a few weeks and you should find your energy level returning to normal. And you will still be getting the health benefits of low carb dieting, as that is still a very low carb intake level. What you don’t want to do is to go back to eating a high carb diet. Doing that is likely to get your blood sugar surging up and down again, which is likely to increase, rather than heal, your feelings of exhaustion.

so i just take more lantus at night? after increasing the carbs

for several years i am on 60gms carbs a day

thanks all

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - it seems to be relative - I have never been able to maintain control of my weight above 50 gm of carbs a day, so an increase would not be a good idea - but when told to increase carb intake for the sake of my health I would sleep, and sleep, and sleep. No increase of energy, quite the reverse.
I use fats as fuel easily enough, so I eat and burn those quite happily.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In JRs book low carb problems solved problem low energy

it reads in part...

All most people need to do is to raise their carbohydrate level enough that their diet stops being ketogenic. An intake level only slightly over 100 g of carbs a day will usually do this. Stick with this diet for a few weeks and you should find your energy level returning to normal. And you will still be getting the health benefits of low carb dieting, as that is still a very low carb intake level. What you don’t want to do is to go back to eating a high carb diet. Doing that is likely to get your blood sugar surging up and down again, which is likely to increase, rather than heal, your feelings of exhaustion.

so i just take more lantus at night? after increasing the carbs

for several years i am on 60gms carbs a day

thanks all
your profile doesnt tell us what type of diabetic you are and what meds you are on, so its a bit difficult to know what to suggest : (

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Being tired could be for plenty of other reasons not least of which, this heat! B12, iron or magnesium deficiency for example, Or having high blood sugars.
If type 2 and on lantus you increase that conservatively if you decide to eat more carbs.
If type 1 you would bolus at the mealtime in question.
Don't forget that even if mainly running on ketones, you are still using mixed fuel (glucose supplied from your liver and ketones) and the question is whether you are eating enough food in general and enough micronutrients in particular that help your metabolism work to its best?