low carb help

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm new to this forum I'm a type 2 diabetic on insulin fast acting and slow release. I'm thinking of going low carb to get a better control on my blood sugars and I was just thinking how I can do that. Is there anyone that can help me please? Carbs for me I think are a huge problem as I seem to be eating more and more each week since the cold weather has arrived. I know this as I have been keeping an eye for he past few weeks what impact they have on my blood sugars. I'm very active in work (online shopper) and I start at 2am and finish around 7am and I weigh round 10st8 so its not because I want to loose weight

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, try upping your fat intake, maybe full fat cheese like Cheddar, or perhaps putting double cream in coffee. If you eat meat try more fatty cuts, like lamb chops. Be careful not to up fat intake whilst still eating carbs, - the two do not go together!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The first thing is that you need to monitor your BG closely when injecting Insulin , and also make sure you adjust your insulin for the carbs you are (or aren't) eating - so as not to risk a hypo.
Just keep the total calories around the same, just add in sufficient Protein and Fat from real traditional foods to compensate for the reduced carbs. Don't fear traditional and animal based fats.
Our grandparents didn't get Type2 diabetes like we do, but (un)surprisingly that other well known grain-based society (the Ancient Egyptians) did get it along with cardio vascular disease as is shown by CT scans of their mummys).

Low Carb High(er) Protein & Fat works like magic for most people if they only trust enough to do it.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would follow a simple program. Eric Westman is one of the pioneers in the Low Carb Ketogenic movement. He keeps things simple by having an upper carb limit of 20 grams. He refers to this as a prescription setting which will ensure results are attained:

(found via Google search / images "page 4 eric westman"
upload_2021-1-22_13-46-44.png

My only disagreement is edamame beans (soy).

He has published papers (20 years clinical experience) does the protocol himself, learnt from Atkins directly, and still works with Jackie Eberstein (previous Director of Medical Education with Atkins (40 years experience)) , has real world results and has case studies of reversed Type 2's.