Low carb is the way to go says my diabetes consultant

beetle

Dislikes
sitting inside on my bum
HI
Oh this forum is fantastic. :clap:
Im waiting for my tets to know whats going and by reading all your stories I feel less paniky about having to do the GTT next week.
I tested myself after the meal and i had a reading of 11.3.I wonder how much carbs are in sweetcorn? I guess its REALLY bad for you since my reading was so high? :roll:Oh boy just try to eat healthy and i messed it all up. :oops:

I struggle to identify what food has carbs and which ones not and i am all confused now.I better stay away from rice and pasta since i found out this is giving me high readings too.
Maybe i just cut out everything what gives me high readings since that must be carbs then?
That way I may get a better test result next week :mrgreen: :?: :?:
Beetle

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
beetle said:
HI
Im waiting for my tets to know whats going and by reading all your stories I feel less paniky about having to do the GTT next week.
I tested myself after the meal and i had a reading of 11.3.I wonder how much carbs are in sweetcorn? I guess its REALLY bad for you since my reading was so high? :roll:Oh boy just try to eat healthy and i messed it all up. :oops:

I struggle to identify what food has carbs and which ones not and i am all confused now.I better stay away from rice and pasta since i found out this is giving me high readings too.
Maybe i just cut out everything what gives me high readings since that must be carbs then?
Beetle

Eat to your meter...

here's some practical advice on how to cut your blood sugar levels back:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

followed by a link to what you can eat while "cutting the carbs":
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18856280.php

And here's the parent site upon which the book "Blood Sugar 101, What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes" is based upon.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

beetle

Dislikes
sitting inside on my bum
HI Paul_c

Thanks for your reasurance. The website u have provided is great :) yeah i guess i am on the right track then 8) Will keep monitoring.Funny thing is i must have run 'high' for a while since i feel really wonky and faint when i am around 5 or 5.6. I feel much better when i am 7, 8 or even 11. Its really weird. :crazy:

I love my 'little friend the meter' since i am getting aswers why i feel how i feel. Big task is now to keep levels straight and still feel welll. that gonna be a big challenge :eh:.
Need to ask doc for help with strips.they r so exy.But i guess once i know what's exatcly wrong I can talk to doc and sort somthing out.

Beetle.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

There is a great book called Carbs and Cals. It ha photos of loads of foods and lists, calories, carbohydrates, fat and fibre. It also shows portion sizes which is quite revealing! I have found it invaluable along with my SD Codefree meter and strips which are cheap(ish) on Amazon

Cara

beetle

Dislikes
sitting inside on my bum
:clap: Yeah thanks. Gonna look on ebay for that book and amazon for strips 8) ha i feel im getting sorted. Maybe i can scip the test and heal mysefl????????? :think: :think: :think:
( sorry just dont like to go to doctors.......) :roll:

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I only go to the GP if I am nearly dead.

Weight loss and cutting back on carbs has helped me.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
[quote="sandysan]
ok i think im getting it slowly ,,, but fat has no sugars in whereas GI food spikes it ,,, so if i was to have a little fat instead of GI food then i wont be hungry ,,,,,?
im learning slow[/quote]

You will need to educate your stomach.
For me
This morning "massive" breakfast as a Sunday treat.

1 egg
1 rasher bacon
3 mushrooms
3 tomatoes
1 slice "livlfe" toast
no oil, all dry fried

Now, I feel stuffed, on a "big" plateful of food.
This will keep me going to a light snack mid afternoon.

Previously it would have been

3 or 4 rashers bacon,
2 eggs
2 sausage
6 mushrooms
4 tomatoes
3 slices white toast

all fried in oil, maybe with a bit of butter on the mushrooms.

I felt I needed to do more than just drop off the carbs, ie the toast, to get a better breakfast/attitude to food overall.
I do still eat toast, but "livlife" is much lower carb, and smaller, and only 1 slice, but I genuinely believe I don't feel as hungry as I have trained my stomach to expect to eat less now, and indeed, probably couldn't face the amount of food I had before without feeling uncomfortably overfull.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Where is this wonderful consultant?
I've met a few and most advise against it.
Hana

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
beetle said:
HI

Beetle

You may find a change of diet to low carb in the period before the GTT may have an adverse effect on the results.
It'll be worth mentioning it when they do the test.

beetle

Dislikes
sitting inside on my bum
hi douglas
Thanks for your input ! Dont wanna screw up the test. Better start low carbs after test then...... :think: :)

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well a bit of everything they say for a healthy balanced meal ,, doug that sounds ok , I have to have my porridge of a morning and it keeps me going till afternoon , ill stick to the low carb , but if I am hungry then I will have to have a small snack on something but it wont be anything like I used to eat , rubbish , cakes biscuits ect , :D I could just eat a fry up haahahah

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
sandysan said:
well a bit of everything they say for a healthy balanced meal ,, doug that sounds ok , I have to have my porridge of a morning and it keeps me going till afternoon , ill stick to the low carb , but if I am hungry then I will have to have a small snack on something but it wont be anything like I used to eat , rubbish , cakes biscuits ect , :D I could just eat a fry up haahahah

Stick to what works for you.
If you're good with porridge that should be ok.

One way to reduce GL is to eat less, but more often.

So a big bowl of porridge to start the day, then nothing, still gives a lot of carbs in one go, that you have to contend with.

A smaller bowl, equals less carbs initially, and then another smaller meal later to "top it up" gives the same overall food, but more spread out. So less load overall.

Little and often normally works better for me.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:crazy:
I am having a bout of being hungry , its 9.30pm now and I have just had 2eggs scrambled and about 15 tiny button mushrooms with a spot of butter ,, I feel so guilty eating this , but again im struggling especially of an evening , I seem to be ok in the day , this is my so called low carbs for a day

porridge , I have to have this for breakfast,
salad, chicken /or omleets 3 eggs
tea time ,, meat/cabbage/sprouts/gravy

snack ,,, omelette,

winder if im eating enuff ?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
sandysan said:
:crazy:
I am having a bout of being hungry , its 9.30pm now and I have just had 2eggs scrambled and about 15 tiny button mushrooms with a spot of butter ,, I feel so guilty eating this , but again im struggling especially of an evening , I seem to be ok in the day , this is my so called low carbs for a day

porridge , I have to have this for breakfast,
salad, chicken /or omleets 3 eggs
tea time ,, meat/cabbage/sprouts/gravy

snack ,,, omelette,

winder if im eating enuff ?

I have about the same, maybe a bit more now, which is why my weight loss is a bit less than yours.

I would say it's a good low calorie diet, as well as being low carb.
And it's certainly healthy.

It's certainly low fat, which is what I've done, and gave me a good weight loss as well.

As to eating enough, I would say yes, keep at it.
It never hurts not to overeat, and will give you a good eating habit for life.
There's also nothing wrong with feeling hungry occasionally, and eating sensibly, as you have done.
Maybe a bit heavy on the eggs for one day, but then again, still healthier than a lot of other things.
I'd have had maybe one egg, and put onions, peppers, maybe tomatoes in it as well.

If you keep this up, it will have really good results for you, I know it has for me.
The other thing to look forward to is knowing you will be able to eat more when you reach your target weight.
The downside is you may not want to. (I was in IKEA today, I had the small meal same as my 14 year old daughter, and found it was enough - in the past it wouldn't even have been regular, it would have been large)

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Kat100 said:
Hi Claire....I have been a veggie for over 50 years....and on a diabetic diet for nearly one year with medication....gosh it's hard I don't eat fish meat eggs either...... It is hard.....just thought I would join the veggie club best wishes kat

Hi Kat, great to meet you :D. I found it harder to low-carb as a veggie, so I'm posting lots of recipes on the Low Carb Recipes thread here. I also add them all to my blog because like you said, not everyone eats eggs, meat or fish. Some of the recipes here might help: http://low-carb-recipes-online.blogspot.com. I keep adding more. Apple pies will be coming up next. Hopefully, some of these are useful to you.

Also, I don't know if you've tried the Atkins Mint Chocolate bar, but it's like eating a box of After Eights for just 2g carbs. My favourite chocoholic craving ^^.