Low carb low energy?

anon125

I take metformin during the day and13units of insulin at night.
All is well for years, happily following jennys book.
Never been over weight.
In spring i found i was 183 lbs and decided to lose 15 pounds.
Now have done so.
But shortly after a breakfast of 1 and a half low carb toast, 3 large eggs and 6 berries...
An hour and a half later during my usual half hour walk, my new tiredness begins.
Suggestions needed!
Thanks
Morning reading is about 5.6. Aic 6.2

Last edited by a moderator:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @anon125 You don't give much information to go on.
Did you say that you have just lost 15lbs in weight? Which method did you use in order to do that?

It is possible that if you used a low calorie diet you may have reduced your resting Metabolic Rate (meaning you have put your body into 'starvation mode'. This could account for the lack of energy.

Personally I believe that for most people a crash diet only works in the short term and ultimately just makes it easier to put back all the weight lost plus a little more because of lowering the metabolic rate.
I prefer the low carb method, boosting both the protein and the fat content in order to keep the calories roughly the same. That way you get to be 'fat adapted' and so able to 'burn your own stored body fat without ever needing to go hungry.
I used that to reverse my diabetes and as a side effect lost just over 2 stone in 4 months.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Are you able to measure your blood pressure as the tiredness sets in? You could have developed postprandial hypotension - a drop in blood pressure after a meal.

anon125

I would not call 5 months of gradual loss a crash diet!
Cut back on fattier meats and carbs. Been on low carb for many years.

Will look to test blood pressure

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
An hour and a half later during my usual half hour walk, my new tiredness begins.
Have you tried doing a blood test then to see if the fatigue is blood sugar related?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Also, as you have been on Metformin, are your B12 levels regularly checked? Deficiency could cause tiredness and supplementation with an oral spray is easy and effective.

anon125

B12 was included in the annual tests recenty. alls well there ( i take b12 pills)
blood pressure before and after 30 min walk. 122 then 102.
shortly after breakfast...blood sugar before, during and after... 7.5,6.5,5.5
thanks all

Last edited:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you have enough fat with your breakfast ?
Carol