Low carb online shop

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that’s called creamed coconut isn’t it. Have you tried it in the porridge, I’d wondered if it would work? On the odd occasion Tesco don’t have any of their tins I trasp across town to Waitrose. I do panic a bit if I don’t have a couple of spare tins in the cupboard! I think I’m addicted to the ‘porridge’! :oops:
Yes I think it may be, I will take a pic tomorrow and give it a try on Monday, tomorrow will be egg and bacon for brekkie as it’s sunday, it’s a treat for my significant other :)

Reactions: Rachox

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 26825

I’ve only ever made the ‘porridge’ with coconut cream, this one pictured from Tesco, it’s weird stuff especially in cold weather it separates into a thin oily liquid layer covered with a firmer layer. It needs mixing well before use. In this warmer weather it’s much easier to mix. Mine porridge is never powdery, it’s a very similar consistency to real porridge but without the lumpiness.
Thanks Rachox, I'll go to tesco tomorrow to make sure I get the right one. I'll report back soon.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to ask, can you make the porridge the night before and cook it in the morning? Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to ask, can you make the porridge the night before and cook it in the morning? Thanks

I’ve never tried it. I guess you could measure out the dry ingredients in advance, just then add the wet ones in the morning, however it doesn’t take long to cook. Once the ingredients are in the saucepan it takes as long to cook as my Nespresso takes to brew a coffee!

Reactions: mazza 2

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh I’m not sure, I don’t see why not, shall we try it? :)
O.k, I'll prepare it tonight and leave in the fridge, give it another stir in the morning and see what happens. It's got to be better than my first attempt!!!

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never tried it. I guess you could measure out the dry ingredients in advance, just then add the wet ones in the morning, however it doesn’t take long to cook. Once the ingredients are in the saucepan it takes as long to cook as my Nespresso takes to brew a coffee!
Well, maybe I'll try that and add the wet ingredients in the morning. So you just cook it for a few minutes? Sorry, but I'm such a terrible cook. It took me years to cook decent meals and now I can't have them, so I'm starting all over again lol

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always prep my the night before and leave in the fridge, but out of curiosity I will cook, cool and refrigerate then reheat in the morning, however as @Rachox says it really doesn’t take long to cook. I cook my on a low to medium heat and just keep stirring, gently but without stopping, this seems to help with keeping it all smooth, spreads the heat nicely too, the most important bit is making sure the egg cooks through but doesn’t scramble or over cook.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always prep my the night before and leave in the fridge, but out of curiosity I will cook, cool and refrigerate then reheat in the morning, however as @Rachox says it really doesn’t take long to cook. I cook my on a low to medium heat and just keep stirring, gently but without stopping, this seems to help with keeping it all smooth, spreads the heat nicely too, the most important bit is making sure the egg cooks through but doesn’t scramble or over cook.
I’m semi retired so I have the luxury of never being in a rush in the morning :)

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Jayney, I'll let you know if it goes o.k tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, maybe I'll try that and add the wet ingredients in the morning. So you just cook it for a few minutes? Sorry, but I'm such a terrible cook. It took me years to cook decent meals and now I can't have them, so I'm starting all over again lol
Ok just made some, it’s cooling down then I will pop it in the fridge until the morning. It looks a little less smooth than normal but I think that’s because I used a block of coconut cream and in hindsight I think I should have dissolved it a little bit before adding it, but I had a tiny taste and the texture is fine so hopefully in the morning when I heat it and add a dash of cream it will be ok.

Attachments

• AD0AC708-6898-4115-9E95-2D080BC463E6.jpeg
    AD0AC708-6898-4115-9E95-2D080BC463E6.jpeg
    976.1 KB · Views: 183
  • EBBA3298-17C3-4E10-ADA7-9E4E6C2BD1B7.jpeg
    EBBA3298-17C3-4E10-ADA7-9E4E6C2BD1B7.jpeg
    995.8 KB · Views: 173

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok just made some, it’s cooling down then I will pop it in the fridge until the morning. It looks a little less smooth than normal but I think that’s because I used a block of coconut cream and in hindsight I think I should have dissolved it a little bit before adding it, but I had a tiny taste and the texture is fine so hopefully in the morning when I heat it and add a dash of cream it will be ok.
Good luck, it looks like porridge, mine didn't look like that the first time, but this time, I'm hoping. Thanks

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Jayney, I'll let you know if it goes o.k tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Hi, how did you get on with the porridge? Mine reheated was fine, seemed a bit more filling, maybe it swelled overnight? Will make it fresh next time as it doesn't take long, but will continue to prep the ingredients the night before.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It tasted much better with the coconut cream as opposed to the milk. I think it was a little runny so I maybe need to cook it for more or put some more flour or cream into it. But, it was quite tasty. I put some cream on the top which was lovely. I'll try again, 3rd time lucky, but I think it will be on my list for a tasty breakfast.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It tasted much better with the coconut cream as opposed to the milk. I think it was a little runny so I maybe need to cook it for more or put some more flour or cream into it. But, it was quite tasty. I put some cream on the top which was lovely. I'll try again, 3rd time lucky, but I think it will be on my list for a tasty breakfast.

Sounds like you just didn’t cook it enough, I don’t think you need to change the ingredients. I have a blob of extra thick double cream and a couple of chopped up strawberries with it :hungry:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aww good, it’s nice to have alternatives otherwise it gets boring eating the same things. I add a couple of strawberries like Rachel does, it really does make the porridge seem very luxurious. I’m glad you liked it. X

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aww good, it’s nice to have alternatives otherwise it gets boring eating the same things. I add a couple of strawberries like Rachel does, it really does make the porridge seem very luxurious. I’m glad you liked it. X
As you know I never get bored of the coconut porridge! :joyful::hilarious:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s one of my favourite things to eat too, should make it more often :happy:
I actually take my own non stick saucepan and all the ingredients with me when we go on holiday if it’s self catering! :joyful::hilarious: