Low-carb presentation at HETT show today

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I attended the HETT (Healthcare Excellence Through Technology) show today at Excel. Pleased to see a Low-Carb presentation by Ascensia who are licensing Southampton NHS for users to access Ascensia's digital support service to manage diabetics going low-carb. This was triggered by David Unwin who continues to do a good job for us in NHS Primary Care.

Reactions: Methepon

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I attended the HETT (Healthcare Excellence Through Technology) show today at Excel. Pleased to see a Low-Carb presentation by Ascensia who are licensing Southampton NHS for users to access Ascensia's digital support service to manage diabetics going low-carb. This was triggered by David Unwin who continues to do a good job for us in NHS Primary Care.

Which session was that in @Diabell?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was in the NHS Clinical Commissioners small open theatre on stand C16. It doesn't appear in the website show agenda but is listed in the Official Show Guide Page 8. There is another diabetes presentation tomorrow also at 14:00 which I plan to attend.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was in the NHS Clinical Commissioners small open theatre on stand C16. It doesn't appear in the website show agenda but is listed in the Official Show Guide Page 8. There is another diabetes presentation tomorrow also at 14:00 which I plan to attend.

Thanks for that. I'll be interested to hear of tomorrow's presentation.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. Todays' presentation related to diabetes was what Lewisham was doing to improve diabetes outcomes. They are joining disparate blocks of data together using EMIS etc to measure improvements in outcomes. They can do this by PCN, CCG or larger areas. The work is good but has a long way to go. There have been improvements but mainly in those having marginal HBA1C and there are still many undiagnosed etc. who have largely been unaffected. I was struck that the word 'diet' wasn't mentioned on any slide or discussion bearing in mind only T2 was under discussion; just the two standard training courses i.e. DESMOND and DAFNE. We know that whilst these courses can sometimes be good, all too often the presenter will still talk about 'carbs with every meal' and the Eatwell Plate. So in my opinion much of the good work is negated by lack of attention to the best diet approach for T2s i.e. LCHF. Medication is being measured, correctly, by Lewisham but not diet.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi again. Todays' presentation related to diabetes was what Lewisham was doing to improve diabetes outcomes. They are joining disparate blocks of data together using EMIS etc to measure improvements in outcomes. They can do this by PCN, CCG or larger areas. The work is good but has a long way to go. There have been improvements but mainly in those having marginal HBA1C and there are still many undiagnosed etc. who have largely been unaffected. I was struck that the word 'diet' wasn't mentioned on any slide or discussion bearing in mind only T2 was under discussion; just the two standard training courses i.e. DESMOND and DAFNE. We know that whilst these courses can sometimes be good, all too often the presenter will still talk about 'carbs with every meal' and the Eatwell Plate. So in my opinion much of the good work is negated by lack of attention to the best diet approach for T2s i.e. LCHF. Medication is being measured, correctly, by Lewisham but not diet.
Maybe at some point "we" can get a few fields into the Emis database.