WhitbyJet

LOVELY FISH

ALMOND COD WITH PARMESAN PESTO

cod fillets (or could use any other white fish fillets)
salt & pepper
a little lemon juice
some pesto
fresh grated parmesan
almond flakes
a little melted butter

Grease an oven proof dish with a little butter. Rub the cod fillets with salt, pepper and a little pesto. Put them in the greased dish, drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with parmesan and top with flaked almonds. Drizzle with melted butter.
Bake in the oven at 200 degresse for approx 15 - 20 mnutes.

Serve witih a tomato, onion and fresh basil salad, and a dollop of creme fraiche.

Photo: http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... pesto.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FISH FINGERS

Use tilapia if you can get them, hey look a little bit like fish fingers, but you can use any white fish, cut them to size, similar to fish fingers.

For 4 persons:

1 egg
1/2 - 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan
4 tilapia fillets (or other white fish)
plenty of butter
4 lemon wedges
parsley, fresh

Beat the egg with the lemon pepper and garlic powder in a bowl.

Mix the ground almonds and grated parmesan in another bowl.

Cut fish into bite-sized pieces. Turn them in the egg mixture first and then into the almond mixture, make sure fish is coated on all sides.

Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the fish on medium to high heat until golden. Place fish on kitchen paper to drain off excess fat.

Serve with lemon wedges, a cucumber salad (thinly slice cucumber, season with lemon juice, olive oil, pinch of sweetener, salt, pepper and chopped parsley) and a remoulade dip (mayonnaise mixed with a little lemon juice, finely chopped capers and cornichons/gherkins)

Photo: http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... lapia.html

A

Anonymous

Here is our recipe for Shepherds Pie - I have found that this is pretty good for my levels.

Shepherds Pie

Beef Mince (about 1lb)
1 Onion
1 Leek
1 Carrot
1 Stalk of Celery
1/4 Cabbage
A large handful of button Mushrooms
1/2 Green Pepper
1 Clove Garlic (chopped)
1 Beef Stock Cube
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Tsp Marmite
1/2 Swede
1 Celeriac
1/2 Tsp dried Rosemary
1/2 Tsp Herbs de Provence
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
Olive Oil

Heat the oven to 180 deg.
Chop all the vegetables.
Cube the swede and Celeriac and put in a pan of cold water with a 1/2 Tsp of Salt. Put in on the heat to boil for about 20 mins or until tender. Whilst this is on, brown the meat and then remove it from the pan. Add a tablespoon of Olive Oil to the pan (medium heat) and saute the onions and leek. Add the green pepper, celery, carrot and cabbage and saute for another couple of minutes. Then add the mushrooms (sliced) and garlic for another 2-3 minutes.
Boil some water and dissolve the stock cube (in 1.5cups of water).
Add the meat, stock, Marmite, herbs, salt, pepper and sock to the pan of vegetables. Let it simmer for 20 mins.

When the Celeriac and Swede are tender, drain and mash with 1/4 cup of Whole Milk and a Tbsp Butter.

Place the Veg in to a 9"x9" Ovenproof dish, spread the Celeriac mash on top and place in to a preheated 180 deg oven for 30 minutes.

This makes enough for about 6 servings. I haven't calculated the carbs but it seems to agree with me.

WhitbyJet

Dreamy Lemon Meltaway Cookies

My lovely daughters, 17 & 8 yrs, enjoy experimenting in the kitchen, they made these yesterday.

Dreamy Lemon Meltaway Cookies
Makes about 22 to 24 cookies

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of almond flour
1 1/2 cups of desiccated coconut
1/3 cup coconut flour (the girls forgot to add this, so not sure if it is essential?)
2 pinches of salt
Mix all these together in a bowl

3 tbsp of water and sweetener of your choice (the original recipe uses agave syrup, but its a no no for us)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
Mix these in a separate bowl

Now using the electric mixer, slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients.Then add 1/4 cup of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of melted coconut oil. The mixture will thicken quickly now.

Shape into cookies, place on a baking sheet and leave in the oven for 1 hour on the lowest setting, with the door slightly open. The cookies will be dry on the outside, but truly melt in your mouth on the inside, just like the recipe says. Place them in the fridge and let them cool down properly before you eat them.

Please look at the photos http://www.addictedtoveggies.com/2011/1 ... aways.html

1 cup = roughly 250ml

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Dear WhitbyJet, many thanks for letting me know how to copy and paste. I can do it now!, I used to write out each recipe individually so this is much better and I will definately be trying your lemon cookies, thanks again, Debra x

WhitbyJet

Awww diadeb - so glad it worked, I remember when I had to learn all these things, easy once you know how.
Enjoy cooking, stay healthy
x x

maggie2

Yesterday decided to try two new recipes (to me anyway) for lunch and it turned out really well. I made WhitbyJet's
courgette and red pepper bake with a german bread. To make a lunch lovely completely I would serve a green salad
with it in future.
Here's the recipe for the bread-

2tbsp white wine vinBread "Herbes de Provence" (Brot „Kräuter der Provence“)

5 eggs

egar

4 tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

200g grounnd almonds (with skin left on)

1 tsp herbs de provence

pinch of ground mace or nutmeg

Separate the eggs, whisk egg whites with salt until stiff. Whisk egg whites until pale and fluffy, add the herbs and mace/nutmeg. Then add olive oil and vinegar, one spoon at a time, beating well after each addition.

Carefully fold in the egg white, then fold in the almonds mixed in with the baking soda.

Pour mixture into a lined loaf tin (30 x 11 cm), sprinkle with some herbs, bake at gas mark 2, 160C for 25 - 30 minutes. Dont open the oven door during the first 20 minutes or the bread will collapse

Enjoy

maggie2

HI Judith
I made a quiche with crust but guess it would be just as nice without. I added one slice fresh salmon, poached first until
almost cooked through, one onion cut finely and cooked until just brown (nice and sweet) . As the quiche was only for the
two of us didn't use so many eggs but added cream and creme fraiche , onion first then added the salmon and topped
with the egg mixture. Took about 30 minutes in my woodburning stove so can't give you accurate time as it's hit and miss
with me!
Cheers
Maggie2 (Libby)

WhitbyJet

Spicy Prawns

Spicy Prawns

1 kg prawns
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots
1 garlic
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 tbsp tomato puree
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
4 tablespoons water
1-4 teaspoons sambal oelek (depending on how hot you want this dish to be)
salt
pepper

Heat olive oil in a sauce pan, fry chopped shallots until soft. Add the remaining ingredients, except the prawns, season to taste and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
Peel the prawns, then add to the sauce. Leave to infuse for a while or place in fridge, reheat before eating.

Serve with low carb bread and a green salad.

http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1491

Floralinda

Dislikes
Having to try to not eat chocolate and sweats and gooey puddings
Oooh can't wait to try the pancakes, think I need a new shopping list ! As for the chocolatey slab or fudge thing OMG anything that resembles the wicked CHoc but is good on carbs just has to be a winner.... have to go get cooking... I feel happeeeeeee :crazy:

maggie2

Asparagus and stilton cheese soup taken from Good food channel.Ingredients
350 g broccoli, florets and stalks cut into small pieces
150 g asparagus
400 ml vegetable stock
25 g butter
4 spring onions, finely sliced
50 g stilton cheese, such as Tuxford & Tebbutt, grated, or to taste
100 ml double cream
A pinch of freshly gratednutmeg
For the croûtons
4 slices French bread
100 g stilton cheese, sliced
Buy Ingredients at mySupermarketMore information

Method
1. For the soup: place the broccoli and asparagus into a glass bowl, then pour over the vegetable stock. Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the microwave. Cook on full power for four minutes, or until tender.

2. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan until hot, add the butter and when it starts to bubble, throw in the spring onions and cook for one minute.

3. Transfer the cooked broccoli, stock and half the asparagus to a food processor. Add the fried spring onions, stilton and cream and blend until smooth.

4. Transfer the blended mixture to a pan and bring gently to a simmer. Add the remaining asparagus.

5. For the croutons: toast the French bread under a grill until golden-brown on each side. Top the bread with the slices of cheese and return to the grill until golden-brown and bubbling.

6. Season the soup with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Divide itequally among four warm bowls and top each with a stilton croûton. You could serve the crouton whole or cut into cubes.

WhitbyJet

CAULIFLOWER ROASTIES

CAULIFLOWER ROASTIES

We would be lost withut our cauliflower, its so versatile!

1 medium cauliflower ibrokennto small florets

50ml cream

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup grated cheese (mature is best)

4 egg whites

salt and pepper

any other spices / herbs to taste (tarragon and parsley is lovely)

Place butter, cream and cauliflower in a microwaveable bowl that can withstand microwave, cook on high for 2 minutes. The cauliflower should be cooked but still have some firmness, al dente is the expression I was looking for.

Add the cheese in the bowl with the cooked cauliflower. Mash cheese, cauliflower, butter and cream with an electric beater. Do not mash the cauliflower into a paste, leave it quite chunky. Season with salt, pepper and any other spices and herbs.

Whisk the egg whites stiff. Add 1/3 of whites into cauliflower mixture and stir well, then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites into cauliflower.

Use a spoon and place the small mounds of the cauliflower mixture onto a greased and kined baking sheet. If you want to be extra fancy, you can well use a icing bag with a big nozzle.
Roast in the oven at 180 degrees for approx. 20 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. .

These are not very crispy, if you wanted a bit more crunch you can take them out of the oven before end of cooking time and fry them in clarified butter

In the photo you can see the roasties have been seved with a pork chop cooked with cream sauce.(Melt clarified butter in a pan, fry pork chops until cooked, remove from the pan, add a good glug of cream, stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen all the meat juices, season as desired, we used salt, pepper, dash of Worcestershiresauce, pour sauce over chops, serve with cauli roasties and vegetables/salad of your choice)
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... etter.html

WhitbyJet

QUICK HOLLANDAISE SAUCE WITHOUT THE HASSLE

QUICK HOLLANDAISE SAUCE WITHOUT THE HASSLE

Perfect with fish or asparagus or eggs

4 egg yolks
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp creme fraiche
300 g butter
salt and pepper

Place egg yolks, creme fraiche, salt and pepper into a high sided container/jug, use the stick blender to mix to a smooth batter, melt butter and let it boil up just once, then slowly dribble the butter into the mxiture in the jug whilst running the stick blender all the time.

If you add a little chopped fresh tarragon and a tsp of mustard you will have a Sauce Bernaise.

Use up the spare egg whites to make the cauliflower roasties, see recipe above or make a nice meringue/pavlova.

WhitbyJet

Indian Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)

Indian Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)

1 kg chicken thighs

1 teaspoon garam masala

1 tsp ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground coriander

½ -1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger

3 cloves garlic, crushed or thiny sliced

2 tablespoons vinegar

½ cup tomato puree

1.2 cups greek yoghurt

80 g ghee

1 large onion - finely chopped

1 cinnamon stick

3 cardamom pods - slightly crushed

1 teaspoon salt

3 teaspoons paprika

1 can chopped tomatoes

200ml chicken stock

250ml double cream

fresh cilantro for garnish

Skin the chicken thighs and cut the meat into large cubes.
Mix together garam masala, cumin, coriander, chili powder, ginger, garlic, vinegar, tomato puree and yogurt in a bag. Add the chicken pieces and knead well so that all chicken pieces are well covered by the marinade.

Leave to marinate for at least four hours or preferably overnight.

Heat the ghee in a large pan. Add onion, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods and cook, stirring until onions are lightly browned.

Add the chicken and marinade and bring to the boil. Let it boil for five minutes while stirring. Add salt, paprika, tomatoes, and stock. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.

Add cream and simmer until the chicken is tender, 15 to 20 minutes (halve the cooking time if you have used fillets instead of thighs or Increase cooking time if you do have used chicken on the bone).

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... khani.html

I served this with a cauliflower rice pilau style and made Indian type breads using the yeast dough recipe that I posted yesterday, plus mushroom bhajee and cucumber raita and green salad with lemon wedges and red onion.

SweetHeart

Rich Chocolate Mousse
serves 4 to 6
(no idea what the actual carb content is, but it's quite low)

DSCF2150.jpg

85g unsweetened chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
3 large egg yolks
5 large egg whites
2 - 3 tbsp Candarel (or similar) to taste
200ml double cream
1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1tbsp hot water and cooled (optional)

Break the chocolate into pieces into a bowl with 1 tbsp of water. Melt in a double boiler over low heat, or place chocolate pieces and 1 tbsp water in a microwaveable bowl and zap for thirty seconds or until melted. Do not over heat. Stir with a spatula. This will turn into a thick paste. If you're using the coffee add it at this point.

In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and half of the Candarel until thick and creamy. Gradually add the melted chocolate, beating continuously, and set aside.

In a separate bowl, beat cream with the rest of the Candarel until cream is thick.

Go back to the chocolate paste bowl and stir in a good dollop of the cream. You want a nice folding action here, so as not to take any fluffiness out of the finished mousse. Keep adding big dollops until all of the cream is folded into the chocolate.

In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks have formed, set aside. Make sure the bowl is grease free or your whites won't whip to stiff peaks.

Take a good dollop of the egg whites and fold this into the chocolate cream mixture. Then add the whole of the chocolate cream to the egg whites bowl and fold together until completely mixed. Remember to fold in gently to preserve the mousse's texture.

Transfer to 4 - 6 individual serving bowls (or one large one) and refrigerate for about three hours before serving......if you can wait that long!

You can add a little of your favourite tipple if you prefer that to coffee for extra flavour. :D

I used only half the quantity of sweetener listed as I found it was far too sweet otherwise. Also it might be pale in comparison to shop bought stuff, but it's very rich and satisfying and you only need a small serving. If you use 90% dark chocolate it will be richer still!

If you are pregnant please be aware that this recipe contains raw eggs.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am trying out Whitby Jets Nut and Chocolate cake with Berries from page 13, will let you know how yummy it is later. One piece of recipe advice though for any other idiots like me who get overexcited and dont THINK! It says 200g of grated hazelnuts - apparently they sell these in most supermarkets - you absolutely do NOT have to spend one hour and 20 minutes grating whole ones by hand!!!!! :crazy: This cake had better be good! :lol: I have sore fingertips..... :cry:

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi Sweetheart,

I just typed your recipe ingredients for the "Rich Chocolate Mousse" above into the weight loss resources website where it calculates everything for you and if you do your recipe as 6 portions it says 277.7 calories and 4.8 carbs per portion and if you do it as 4 portions it says 416.5 calories and 7.2 carbs per portion. I think I might be having this as my easter treat as well!!!!!

Please note the above calculations are based on Lindt 85% plain chocolate and if it is made with Lindt 70% plain chocolate it has 2 extra carbs per portion and one extra calorie - not worried about one calorie I'm sure, but just mentioning this for those watching the carbs....

Many thanks for the recipe xx

Clairy

SweetHeart

If you made it with 90% or 99% cocoa solids chocolate then I think you'd easily get eight portions from it, it really is that rich. I might get some stronger chocolate and try it - I'll let you know what it's like......

.......you see how selfless I am in the interests of research! :shifty: :lol:

Julia

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
The more research the better I say!! :lol: Just amended my post on the carbs and calories of the "Rich Chocilate Mousse" recipe above as I had based it on 85% plain chocolate and it does make a difference - less carbs slightly with that and richer!! yum yum.... just off to bake Whitby Jets cake now...

x

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trawling through all the yummy recipies but alot of them call for cream....what can someone substitute with if they are lactose intolerant?

Ta :)