Try cooking them this way
Baked Turnips
4 turnips
3 cloves garlic
3 slices onion
1 tablespoon olive oil or clarified butter
1/4 tsp salt
pepper

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Peel turnips and make deep cuts into the turnip, as if you are going to slice it thinly,, but dont cut right through (have a look at the photos in the link below).
Slice onions and garlic, and tuck between the layers of the turnip.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over turnips and finally drizzle with olive oil, but I used clarified butter, YUMMY!!
Wrap the turnips in aluminium foil, place in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, until softened, open up the foil and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until turnips are golden and slightly crisp on top.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... neper.html

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone shed any light on where I can find some Banana Flavouring please? :?:
Can't seem to find it anywhere. :cry:

Thanks
Angie

Defren

New York style cheesecake

Crust:

New York Style Cheesecake
1 1/2 cups almond flour
6 Tbsp Splenda
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Filling:

24 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups Splenda
3 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
16 ounces sour cream

Make Crust: Mix Splenda and almond flour with melted butter; press onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside while mixing filling.

Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy, keeping the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process. Add Splenda a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat very briefly after each egg. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese add vanilla and mix briefly, just until combined. Add the sour cream last and beat briefly.

Pour cream cheese mixture into the springform pan. Bake at 325° (300° for dark, nonstick pan) for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check before an hour is up and if it's getting brown, turn oven off and begin the next step. When time is up, prop open oven door, turn off the heat and leave in oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove from oven. Cool to room temperature then chill 24 hours before serving.

APPROXIMATE NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SLICE (MAKES 16 SLICES):
327 Calories; 30g Fat; 10g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/cheesecake/02.html

Defren

Chocolate Almond Meal Cake

2 cups almond meal
1/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted (OR 1/4 cup your favorite cooking oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Sweetener equal to 1 1/4 cups sugar*
I used stevia/erythritol blend (6 packets) and powdered stevia (1 tsp).
Paleo/primal folks, feel free to use your favorite natural sweetener(s). Please know, though, that if you use honey or another liquid sweetener, you may need to reduce the water in the recipe.

*This is just enough sweetener to take away the bitterness of the cocoa and give the barest hint of “sweet.” If you like your cake sweeter than that, use sweetener equal to 1 1/2 cups sugar or more.
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8″ or 9″ cake pan and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together almond meal, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with whisk or electric mixer. Add water and mix well. Add butter and mix again. Add vanilla and sweetener and mix again.
Add dry ingredients to egg mixture. Stir/mix until thoroughly blended.
Pour batter into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 min, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let top of cake get completely cool to the touch before cutting or removing it from the pan.

Yield: One single-layer cake, 8 – 12 slices.

Nutritional Information:Each of 8 slices contains approximately 7.1 g carbohydrates, 4.0 g fiber, 3.1 g net carbs, 9.0 g protein, 20.8 g fat, and 235 calories.

http://flowcarber.com/2012/03/chocolate ... meal-cake/

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
Please look at this recipe. Would you say it is low carb, if so what sort of figures are we talking about?
scrambled egg muffins, they look good enough to have for brunch if not too heavy on the carbs
9 Eggs
½ cup Chopped Fresh Spinach
⅓ cup Skim Milk
one third cup
Spelt Flour, or whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil
1Small Tomato, chopped
½ tsp Sea Salt
½ tsp Cracked Black Pepper
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add the rest of your ingredients and mix it all together. Add spoonfuls of the mixture to a nonstick muffin tin or a tin sprayed with nonstick coating.. Pop them in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Oh Yes now Im cooking on Gas, plenty of recipes here for me to try, Fantastic thread, so is splender ok to sweeten with only I am finding really hard to enjoy my coffee without sweetning and which type tabs or granules :D :D :D

Defren

Day of baking all done, apart from cheeseburger pie two waiting for CB pie one to finish baking. I made, sausage Mcmuffins, Mrs xyzzy's cheese and onion pie, bacon and egg pie, chicken, broccoli and stilton pie and as I say two cheeseburger pies. Waiting for them all to cool, and in the freezer they go. Very productive day.

A

Anonymous

Almond Porridge Update

I have been experimenting with my morning porridge again..

10g Oats, 10g Ground Almonds, 10g Flax Seed - Absolutely horrible and a strange consistency, like melted plastic.

10g Oats, 10g Ground Almonds, 5g Flax Seed, 5g of wife's salad topping sprinkle (with herbs) - even worse, tastes like curried porridge

10g Oats, 20g Ground Almonds - Much nicer, tastes like porridge again - with 2/3cup whole milk - I calculate at around 14g carb. Still quite high but it puts me at 6.3 on my +1 and +2 readings.

Next trick will be to try half water / half milk and see what happens.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Defren said:
Focaccia -Style Flax Bread

Ingredients:

2 cups flax seed meal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
5 beaten eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads ... sicfoc.htm
i have done this recipe a few times. in the end just the smell it had used to make me sick. i think it was the combination of alot of flax seed and eggs. i have started introducing flax seed again in my diet but the smell of it when it is ground is still horrible for me.

Defren

Mini Cocoa Swirl Cheesecakes

Makes Six Cheesecakes

6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/8 tsp stevia concentrate powder
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder

Heat the oven to 350°. Line 6 muffin tins with paper or foil liners.

Blend cream cheese and ricotta (or Greek yogurt) in a food processor until creamy. Add sweetener, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla; process until smooth.

Divide 1 cup of the batter among the muffin cups. Add cocoa powder to the remaining batter and combine.

Drop a heaping tablespoon of the cocoa batter into each muffin cup and gently fold to form a swirl.

Place the muffin tin in a large roasting pan and fill the pan with hot water to reach halfway up the tin.

Bake until the cakes are puffed and set, 18 to 20 minutes.

Remove from the water and cool at room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.

Nutritional Info for Batch:
928 Calories
82g Fat
12.1g Carbohydrates
0.8g Fibre
36.5g Protein

http://deliciousglutenfreeliving.wordpr ... eesecakes/

SweetHeart

RoyG said:
Oh Yes now Im cooking on Gas, plenty of recipes here for me to try, Fantastic thread, so is splender ok to sweeten with only I am finding really hard to enjoy my coffee without sweetning and which type tabs or granules :D :D :D

I had the same problem, but also found Splenda, Candarel etc to leave a revolting after taste (for days, I kid you not) Personally, I think the best sweetener for coffee is Stevia. You can make a Truvia type sweetener by mixing Erythritol with Pure Stevia powder;

I cup (225g/8oz) Erythritol
¼ Teaspoon White Stevia Extract Powder

Put both sweeteners in a jar, shake really well........and there you have it, for much less than the brand price! The equivalent of one teaspoon of normal sugar is one THIRD teaspoon of this home made Truvia.

Ju

Defren

Lemon Coconut Energy Bombs
Makes 9

1/4 cup coconut butter (see below)
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, high quality
1 Tablespoon of organic lemon zest
1 Tablespoon of organic lemon juice
stevia powder or liquid to taste, I used 1/8 teaspoon NuNaturals powder
toasted coconut to garnish (see below)
mini cupcake wrappers or pan

Combine all ingredients except toasted coconut and mix well. Scoop into cupcake wrappers. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top. Place in freezer for 20 minutes, then place in refrigerator. Lasts a very long time.

How to make coconut butter: Grind unsweetened coconut flakes in a nut/coffee grinder or food processor for at least 20 minutes, or until the consistency of nut butter. Or go here for pics/in depth.
How to make toasted coconut: Preheat oven to Broil. On a cookie sheet, put a single layer of unsweetened coconut flakes and broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until brown. Burns fast! Don't walk away!

http://untilthethinladysings.blogspot.c ... bombs.html

Defren

Fat Bombs

¼ cup cocoa powder
6 Tablespoons canned coconut milk – Native Forest brand has no BPA in the lining, FYI
3 Tablespoons peanut butter, or any nut butter you like
1 Tablespoon finely chopped nuts, I used pecans here in Louisiana
Stevia to taste, I used 22 drops of NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia** see note above
2 Tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil
½ cup coconut flakes, toasted under a broiler while watching carefully, about 30 seconds
a wire whisk or hand beater
cupcake papers

Combine cocoa powder, coconut milk, and stevia in a small saucepan and stir. The cocoa will not mix in. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until smooth. Remove from heat and add the nut butter. Whisk or beat on low speed together until combined. Whisk in coconut oil. Stir in nuts, and most of the coconut flakes. Reserve some for topping. Spoon into 5 cupcake papers evenly and top with remaining coconut. Arrange on a plate and place in freezer until hardened. Then, transfer to refrigerator. Eat straight from refrigerator, they will melt at room temperature. Makes 5; 3g effective carbs each, and 18.8g good-for-you fat if you use peanut butter and pecans, slightly less if you sub walnuts for pecans. If you use cashew butter & pecans/walnuts, 4.25 ECC/4.15 ECC respectively.

http://untilthethinladysings.blogspot.c ... ssion.html

Defren

Diana’s Mexican Oopsie Bake

1lb ground beef
1/4 cup enchilada sauce (Diana used El Paso brand)
1/4 cup salsa (Diana used Herdez brand)
1 tbsp onion powder, or 1/3 cup onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1 small can chopped green chilis, divided
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
1 cup cheese, divided

Oopsie bread batter:
3 eggs
3 oz cream cheese
1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
2 to 3 Tbsp Flaxseed meal (or unflavored whey protein powder)
2 tsp sugar equivalent substitute
Green chilis
Cheese

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Cook ground beef. Add seasonings, enchilada sauce, salsa, half a can of green chili, and 1/2 cup cheese. Set aside.

Make Oopsie bread by separating the egg yolks from the whites. Whip the whites with the tartar until stiff peaks form. Combine the yolks with the cream cheese, flaxseed meal/protein powder, sweetener and the rest of the green chili’s and cheese.

Slowly fold the yolk mixture with the whites. Take the ground beef mixture and add to a 8×8 baking dish. Pour the Oopsie batter on top, spreading evenly. You can even add more cheese, chilis and some black olives on top of the batter.

Bake at 300 for 30 to 40 minutes. The top will be slightly brown.

Remove from oven and let cool slightly.

Serving size: 2 8X8″ bakes or 1 bake and a small pan of bread. Just divide the batter in half. Makes 12 servings.

Nutritional information per serving: Calories: 189, Carbohydrates: 2.3g, Fiber: .3g, Net Carbohydrates: 2g, Protein: 11.25g, Fat: 14.9g.

http://yourlighterside.com/dianas-mexican-oopsie-bake/

Defren

Sent from a friend in the US so no link back.

Southwestern Breakfast Squares

10 eggs
4 TBS cream
1 (4oz) can diced green chilies
2 TBS salsa
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup green or red bell pepper, diced
1 TBS onion, diced
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded ~ divided
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded ~ divided

Preheat oven to 350*

Beat eggs and cream. Add all ingredients except 1/2 of each cheese. Blend well. Pour into an 8x8 buttered non metal baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 40 minutes.

WhitbyJet

Asian pork balls in lettuce wraps with cucumber and sesame d

Asian pork balls in lettuce wraps with cucumber and sesame dressing

These are with lemon grass and chili. Dressing with sesame oil in it helps to give this dish an authentic, nutty, delicious taste. Use lettuce leaves as wraps, and eat with your fingers, no need for cutlery.. Yum!

1 egg

1 tablespoon fibre husk or freshly ground flaxseeds

3 tablespoons fish sauce

1 teaspoon onion powder (but I used a finely chopped onion instead)

1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon grass
1 teaspoon finely chopped red chilli

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves

1 small garlic cloves - finely chopped

450 g pork mince

ghee / butter / for frying

1 tablespoon sesame oil

2 tablespoons lime juice/rice wine vinegar

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 large cucumber

big heart lettuce leaves

sesame seeds

lime wedges

Whisk egg and fibre/flaxseed together. Add the fish sauce, onion powder (or chopped onion), lemon grass, chilli, garlic, mint and coriander and stir well. Add the pork mince and stir well.

Moisten hands with cold water. shape mixture into small meatballs, this recipe will give you over 30 meatballs, depends how big you make them.. Fry in ghee, or a mixture of butter and oil until they are thoroughly cooked.

Mix together the sesame oil, lime juice/rice wine vinegar and soy sauce into a dressing.

Use a julienne slicer to cut the cucumber. Or use a knife and cut the cucumber into thin strips.

Place cucumber on to the heart salad leaves. Top with meatballs, dressing and sesame seeds. Serve with a couple of lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... wraps.html