Dislikes
Dishonesty
I like the Tesco everyday value 2% lager as each 440ml can contains
Energy 320kJ (80kcal)
Protein 1.3g
Carbohydrate 4.4g
Fat 0.4g
Alcohol 7.0g

I have a question about a healthy topping to have on a jacket potato as I'm having one with my parents as they want to eat more healthy.

Ditch the jacket spud dude-It's the last thing you should be eating right now with your BG's being high like they have been-will just make things worse which is the last thing you need.

Reactions: 4 people

fatbird

"Ditch the jacket spud dude" the white bread-the pasta-the rice- the cakes and the biscuits. Be guided by your blood glucose meter! it does not lie!

FB

Reactions: 6 people

big_daddy

Ditch the jacket spud dude-It's the last thing you should be eating right now with your BG's being high like they have been-will just make things worse which is the last thing you need.

Well last night I couldn't ditch the jacket potato and had mince and gravy with it. I then took a 1 hour walk as suggested by my parents to walk off the jacket potato. My parents want to eat healthy and lose weight as they have both put weight on, but they still buy chocolate bars and crisps and I had some chocolate bars last night and no crisps. My mum decided to buy salad veg and bananas, grapes, oranges, apples for me and her to have as we are the only two in the family that tries and eat healthy

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you do have chocolate have the 85% Dark sort. Standard Milk chocolate is full of sugar; have a look at the packaging. Although fruit is OK in sensible quantities, bananas are high-GI carb so don't have them too often.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you have a massive chocolate craving try the Atkins chocolate bars. The are not cheap but possibly better for diabetics who want low carb.

I used to love jacket potatoes too but I love have feeling in my fingers more! Try cauliflower or swede instead.

It really is worth making the sacrifices.

Reactions: 7 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well last night I couldn't ditch the jacket potato and had mince and gravy with it. I then took a 1 hour walk as suggested by my parents to walk off the jacket potato. My parents want to eat healthy and lose weight as they have both put weight on, but they still buy chocolate bars and crisps and I had some chocolate bars last night and no crisps. My mum decided to buy salad veg and bananas, grapes, oranges, apples for me and her to have as we are the only two in the family that tries and eat healthy

Jacket potato, chocolate bars, crisps, bananas, grapes and oranges all high in carbs and would never appear in my list of healthy foods as a type 2. Even apples are debatable. Berries are the better fruit choice and salads are good, providing you are careful with the dressings which are often extremely loaded with sugars and carbs.

I'm sorry for saying this but I really think you need to be a bit more in charge of your diet, it's your body, you are the one with diabetes, you that will suffer the complications that will occur if you dont control your BG's, and to be totally blunt you need to accept responsibility and control rather than just going with the flow.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 9 people

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I don't low carb but you know it does not take a genius to work out that lot is a really bad idea. As for everyday lager..,

A long hard look in the mirror of personal responsibility.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
Although not great for lagers, for accurate carbs contents of all food types, try Cook & Count Carbs mobile app. It uses a government database and does not crowdsource data. You can add your own custom food types, but this is not shared with other app users.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cook-count-carbs/id779458642?mt=8

Myfitnesspal can be massively innacurate, the data for many foods and especially drinks are crowdsourced, that is, anybody can create a food or drink entry and put whatever they like into the carbs section. i find the figure quoted for carbs to be suspiciously low for that particular product.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
The thing about low carb l do around 20-30/day is l don't feel hungry between meals. So l don't need the snack back ups between meals. That is a big shock to me l thought it would be the other way.

I understand what you are saying about support, hub has decided to low carb with me

He has also joined me to do the 8 week weight loss at our keep fit, l did it for something to aim for he did it to support me..
l have told him he has paid the £10 entry fee for the weight loss and if he doesn't put effort into it l will chase him round with a meat cleaver
The low carbing he isn't held to and if he really wants to help stop eating all the cake he does...tasting bits of baking for sale is fine as a quality control but a whole large cake or more (not a slice an entire cake) on his own is really worrying me not just for diabetes although can have an effect but for things like cholesterol. He has promised to stop gave me all cake to take into work and stuck to his promise.

That to me is support not someone buying in a load of food for themselves that wont, with my medical condition, help me and them saying that they and hence us will eat healthy when it isnt.

Check out Kevs thread of Terminal and Scared and them decide what way you want to go.

Reactions: 2 people