LOW CARB: Shopping List.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morrisons have it

Interesting, bc mysupermarket doesn't have it listed and not seen any in my local Morrisons.

I guess that may mean that supermarkets supply veg depending on what they think their customers want but also according to the region they live in, too.

Reactions: 4 people

Gandrew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eden Organic Black Soy Beans, available on Amazon. 8 Grams of carbs but seven of it is fiber. Great in chili.

phatchef

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sugar, excercise
97% meat Pork chipolattas (tesco & asda)
Chicken
Turkey
Back bacon
Gammon joint (pressure cooker - or baked)
Beefburgers (high meat content)
Tinned tuna and fresh tuna steaks
Lidl's or Aldi's haddock or cod or salmon (cook in microwave)
Lidls loose almonds
Lidls walnuts
Lidls double Gloucester with chives cheese
Lidls smoked applewood cheese
Lidls venison grillsteaks
Lidls high protein rolls
Eggs and more eggs
Fritatta (tesco)
Tesco cauliflower cous cous ( 3 for 2 offer)
Strawberries raspberries
Double cream
Butter
Olive Oil
Burgen bread
M& S crispy bacon ( for snacking)

I'm sure that there is more but that's what I can think of now
Thank the Lord for Lidl's!!

phatchef

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sugar, excercise
Only 2% sugars (1.6g per biscuit). 5.5g of carbohydrate per biscuit. They were available to us on the DESMOND course I went on.
I have one or two with a cup of tea.
But if you define low carb as less than 30g of carb a day then two biscuits robs you of a lot of nutrition to be had elsewhere

Reactions: 5 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, bc mysupermarket doesn't have it listed and not seen any in my local Morrisons.

I guess that may mean that supermarkets supply veg depending on what they think their customers want but also according to the region they live in, too.
It tends to appear and disappear randomly ...I actually saw it this week for the first time in a while so I think it is pot luck if you find it in supermarkets

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lidl had lovely celeriac today

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive never tasted it and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it lol....any clues please?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
LOL, still hardly low carb at 5.5 g per biscuit , how much does a biscuit weigh ? All the rich tea's I've found are around 70 g of carbs per 100 g of biscuit. Not low carb. I imagine these are addictive, I couldn't stop at 2!
Before I was diagnosed T2 I could eat half a dozen or more biscuits with a cup of tea, and with much higher sugar content (chocolate covered, gingernuts, Jaffa cakes, chocolate chip cookies etc).
I do now stop at 2 with a cuppa. The most I've had in a day is 4. Today I've had 2. Total 11g of carbs and 4 gms of sugar. That's all I've eaten today. I will be having a toasted LIDL roll (10g carbs) with crab terrine shortly for supper. And some walnuts and some wine later. I don't think that is many carbs.
Yes the carb content is 71% in Rich Tea biscuits. I don't know how much a biscuit weighs, but I have received my new scales today, so I might weigh one tomorrow when I put the batteries in and set it up.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
But if you define low carb as less than 30g of carb a day then two biscuits robs you of a lot of nutrition to be had elsewhere
See reply to Wurst above.:)
And according to @Brunneria low carb is 130g or less of carbs a day. 30g would be at the extreme end I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I was a bit gobsmacked at some of the lists - mainly the lack of vegetables.. It would be very interesting to see how many carbs people (think they) are eating. However AFAIK low carb can be anything from around 100 odd grams of carbs a day downwards, so I'd actually identify anything less than 30g as ketogenic to distinguish it from higher low carb diets.

Robbity

PS There's recent thread about new foods we've tried which might be another useful source for of foods that can be added to low carb shopping lists.

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a former vegetarian (14 years and then I moved in with an omnivore) I put veg at the foundation of my food pyramid, where the refined carbs were. Out with pasta, in with kale.

From that point of view, dairy and egg loving veggies should have no probs doing low carb but for vegans that would seem more difficult, to me. There are Paleo vegans (Pegans) out there tho !

Most above ground veg is really low in carbs but there are a few exceptions eg peas, sweet corn, broad beans. So you can have a veggie main and a pile of veg and feel full and that you've had delicious food.

Rose Elliot wrote a book called 'The Low Carb Vegetarian'.

In the US there is a daily guideline amount for carbs of 130g so they tend to think anything under that is low carb. I've seen various definitions for very low carb but generally seems under 50g

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eden Organic Black Soy Beans, available on Amazon. 8 Grams of carbs but seven of it is fibrer. Great in chili.
Something to be aware of, since this is a UK based forum , although we have international members:

In the UK our nutritional content labelling lists fibre entirely separately from carbs (and sugar); in the USA they don't, but instead list fibre in with other carbs, so to find equivalent UK values fibre needs deducted from the total to get a net carbs value. It's important to be aware of this as it can make a big difference.

Robbity

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The EU signed a reciprocal agreement with the U.S. which gives US and EU origin organic products equal status.

Eden Organic tinned stuff is available on Amazon in UK and I've also seen it elsewhere. Amy's Kitchen is another American organic import and I'm sure we'll see a load more.

American and EU organic standards are not the same, however.

Amy's Kitchen is able to get away with using non-organic American dairy in an US-made organic product, even though the EU currently bans US dairy products, many of which use milk from cows fed on reject M&Ms (for example) and GM feed, kept on huge megadairies with slurry lakes and routinely given antibiotics and bovine growth factors.

U.S. has two organic labels 'organic'and '100% organic' so Amy's Kitchen is also able to get away with getting top £ for canned food that might only be 78% organic.

It used to be, that you could be confident that eating organic meant eating minimal additives. But imports now mean that checking labels is essential. I don't care whether High Fructose Corn Syrup or Fructose are organic, I don't want them in my food.

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pataks's curry pastes (not the sauces!)
Worcestershire sauce
garlic
lemon juice
good quality stock cubes (no MSG, or other cr*p)
pesto
jerk seasoning
olives
Aromhuset natural unsweetened water flavours
bovril, coffee, cocoa powder (for drinks)
Sambucol effervescent tablets
Xylitol or Erythritol sweeteners
70% coco choc, any quality brand
Lemon, rose, mint, vanilla oils and essences
sugar free jelly (watch for the artificial sweeteners)

She probably told you that because coconut oil is saturated fat. which means that her info is out of date. have a good read on Dr Google about the benefits of coconut oil, and you may come to disagree with her. I do.
My sister lowered her cholesterol from 7. something to 5 and she said the only thing she did differently was adding coconut oil to her diet! I think she used it in place of butter.

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant Celeriac, I'm vegetarian (verging on vegan) so I'm struggling a bit with lo-carb. I've have missed out the meat, fish, etc obviously, but it's a good start for a list for me too. If there are any other veg*ans out there with good lo-carb shopping list ideas I'd love to hear them! :)
Hummous aldi ( I make my own at times)
Pecans
Tahini( I use as butter w a little jam n bread)
Plain soy yoghurt(`free from` brand tesco)
Almond milk
Cocoa ((for the odd cup of comfort)
Xylitol
Spicy bean burgers (freezer aldi)
Olives
Dark choc
Berries
tomatoes
Rocket leaves
Flaked almonds( nice on plain yoghurt, with berries,maybe even a little grated dark choc )
Red wine
Popcorn ( I couldnt live without it)
Corncakes
Tapinade, if I come across it !
Salted pistacios.