Low Carb soft foods

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m after some suggestions for soft foods as my dentist has put me on a very soft food diet as I’m having a terrible flare up of TMJ.
The diet leaflet he gave me has lots of carbs in it though! Such as porridge, mushed weetabix, mashed potato, custard, fruit purée etc, soft white bread with no crusts!
About the only thing I can see on the list I can eat is full fat Greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, soft fish, home made soup.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.
Thank you

• Hug
Reactions: MissMuffett

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @fiona35 What about a low carb version of porridge? I make mine with chia seeds, flaxseed and almond milk. Dark chocolate melted in cream makes a pud. Does mince count as a soft diet?(I genuinely don't know but in my head there is more chewing in white bread than mince) Lots of options for beef and pork mince if it does.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@fiona35 if you don’t have one, you might find a blender useful?

Almost anything can be pulped by a decent blender or stick blender (we have both but use the stick most), unless it contains bones.

A few years ago, a friend needed soft foods for a while, after a stroke. I was astonished by what he had, and that the hospital had it reformed, so that blended chicken, say, actually looked like a chicken drummer, or that his veg looks like veg.

You can always add a splash of cream if whatever you have needs “let down” a bit.

Being winter, tasty soups will just be the thing anyway.

I hope it feels better soon.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m after some suggestions for soft foods as my dentist has put me on a very soft food diet as I’m having a terrible flare up of TMJ.
The diet leaflet he gave me has lots of carbs in it though! Such as porridge, mushed weetabix, mashed potato, custard, fruit purée etc, soft white bread with no crusts!
About the only thing I can see on the list I can eat is full fat Greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, soft fish, home made soup.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.
Thank you
A friend of mine had surgery to his mouth, and he adored almost-pureed chicken breast with spices/herbs and mayo to make it less dry. Anything low carb you can put in a blender might need mayo or cream, but yeah... I did live off yog and scrambled eggs for a bit, so it can be done, but I ended up deficient in a bunch of vitamins, so the more variety, the better. Yay for soup! Soft cheeses too, maybe? Hope you feel better soon!
Hugs,
Jo

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @fiona35 What about a low carb version of porridge? I make mine with chia seeds, flaxseed and almond milk. Dark chocolate melted in cream makes a pud. Does mince count as a soft diet?(I genuinely don't know but in my head there is more chewing in white bread than mince) Lots of options for beef and pork mince if it does.
Thank you for suggestion of the porridge, I sort of make my own but I’ve not made one with chia seeds in, would love the recipe please.
Mince and gravy is on the list although I personally have always found beef mince to be dry and chewy lol! Probably the way I cook it lol! And I love the idea of dark chocolate melted into cream.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@fiona35 if you don’t have one, you might find a blender useful?

Almost anything can be pulped by a decent blender or stick blender (we have both but use the stick most), unless it contains bones.

A few years ago, a friend needed soft foods for a while, after a stroke. I was astonished by what he had, and that the hospital had it reformed, so that blended chicken, say, actually looked like a chicken drummer, or that his veg looks like veg.

You can always add a splash of cream if whatever you have needs “let down” a bit.

Being winter, tasty soups will just be the thing anyway.

I hope it feels better soon.
Thank you for your suggestions. I do have a blender but never thought of blending individual components of a meal, a useful idea.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A friend of mine had surgery to his mouth, and he adored almost-pureed chicken breast with spices/herbs and mayo to make it less dry. Anything low carb you can put in a blender might need mayo or cream, but yeah... I did live off yog and scrambled eggs for a bit, so it can be done, but I ended up deficient in a bunch of vitamins, so the more variety, the better. Yay for soup! Soft cheeses too, maybe? Hope you feel better soon!
Hugs,
Jo
Thank you, I think the blender might be my new best friend for a few weeks lol!
And I didn’t think of soft cheese either so thank you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want a low carb ‘porridge’ try this one I have it every morning:
I eat it with two or three strawberries, you could mash the strawberries.

• Love

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your suggestions. I do have a blender but never thought of blending individual components of a meal, a useful idea.
That’s where a stick blender could be helpful - an easier clean up, especially if you can blend in the tall beaker thingy they often come with.

We have something like this, with a decent motor to make light work of things. The littler processor pot is also good for spices, or making smaller quantities of pastes. Our professional grade processor rarely comes out these days.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Omelettes, broccoli cheese as a change from cauliflower. If you make a spaghetti bolognaise without the spaghetti, and use mince that is not the low fat variety, it won’t be dry. Have it with cauliflower mash.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Celeriac mash... add lots of cheese
Also swede, broccoli and Brussels sprouts mash well.
Meat stocks and soups..

Some of the " high protein " items in Lidl aren't too bad in terms of ingredients but depends whether you count carbs or restrict processed foods

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate it and there’s lots of items I would not have thought of. Maybe the next month won’t be as bad as I first thought!
And for some of the blended "stuff", it would likely freeze well, so ideal for batch cooking.
My feeling is you won't need smooth purees, necessarily,, but just minimal chewing, so your cauli cheese (just as a random example) would still be able to have lumpets in there, just not the full florets.