ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1466529208.648736.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Wow stories like this have inspired me to start my low carb high fat diet today. Not radically low but between 20-30g a day is my aim. I have always had an hba1c of 9+ i worked really hard and got it down to 7 but i have been very unstable recently with major swings from low to high and the other way round. so i have decided to take control and go low carb. I love bread and carbs so i am expecting it to be tough. I have researches lots so i am well prepared. I struggle to lose weight followed slimming world lost 10lb but it just doesnt shift after that, i got about another stone to lose so i would love to see my weight and control decrease. I Love reading these stories thanks for sharing. Now im off for a coffee with cream feels strange after being brain washed low fat is the way to go.

You are so right, the continual brain washing for 40 years + still after 2.5 months on LCHF has me thinking..."I'm still not sure about the fat":)

It's a big issue to change in all our head spaces!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it is a big issue to change in our heads. Its nice to know that others are also wrestling with the thoughts and i often find myself thinking can i really have this.

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yep... me too every morning when I sink a glug of double cream into my first coffee of the day....haha:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We have endless debates and arguments about what constitutes a healthy diet. It seems one man's carb is another man's poision.
One common concern, however, is that newly diagnosed visitors will get mixed messages from the conflicting opinions. I have therefore decided that it's time for a wee census. I know of many members who have gained control of their condition by adopting a low(er) carb diet, but then found no further use for the forum, taken their normal blood sugars and disappeared. I would like us to gather statements from diabetics who have found success by restricting their carbohydrate intake, by whatever amount.
So please let us know if you have succeeded in managing your diabetes by restricting your carbs.
If you can supply before and after figures for diet, blood sugar readings, HbA1c, weight, weight or lipids it will all help to build a picture of how real people are getting on.
Oh, and the arguments won't be tolerated here but can be continued elsewhere!

All the best,

fergus
I have been a type 1 for 54 years. For the first 15 years I was controlled on 120g CH per day. It felt pretty mean because there were far fewer low-sugar foods and drinks.
When diabetic control changed and they told you just to have a healthy diet, I relaxed my grip and started to adjust my insulin for food.
I put on quite a lot of weight having two children and have never lost it. I was hypo a lot which didn't help.
I have hypothyroidism as well which doesn't help my weight.
2 years ago, I took to low carbohydrate again. I have a small bowl of bran flakes with prunes for breakfast to keep everything moving through my gut, vegetable soup or salad for lunch and protein and vegetables for tea. I don't eat puddings except on high days and holidays but I have a small piece of dark chocolate after tea each day. It's years since I ate pasta or rice although I have bread occasionally.
This year (after so long with type 1) I did my first course (Bertie which is like DAPHNE) to hep me get rid of hypos and achieve really good control.
My HBA1c was 7.4 last year and is now 6.4 but I've been advised at the clinic that it is really too low!
Shame. I want to avoid complications so much. I already have something like Charcot Joints but still have full sensation in my feet which are painful when I stand and walk so exercise except swimming is impossible and I have to use a wheelchair at work.
I have never lost weight on this diet and even on 800-1350 calories a day, I have lost no weight whatsoever. That's life. The doctor congratulated me on not putting on weight but I'd like less weight in the painful joints.
I very seldom crave carbs now and the diet is easy and nourishing. I believe I've done the best I can and will carry on like this.

Excellent results for my diabetes

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been a type 1 for 54 years. For the first 15 years I was controlled on 120g CH per day. It felt pretty mean because there were far fewer low-sugar foods and drinks.
When diabetic control changed and they told you just to have a healthy diet, I relaxed my grip and started to adjust my insulin for food.
I put on quite a lot of weight having two children and have never lost it. I was hypo a lot which didn't help.
I have hypothyroidism as well which doesn't help my weight.
2 years ago, I took to low carbohydrate again. I have a small bowl of bran flakes with prunes for breakfast to keep everything moving through my gut, vegetable soup or salad for lunch and protein and vegetables for tea. I don't eat puddings except on high days and holidays but I have a small piece of dark chocolate after tea each day. It's years since I ate pasta or rice although I have bread occasionally.
This year (after so long with type 1) I did my first course (Bertie which is like DAPHNE) to hep me get rid of hypos and achieve really good control.
My HBA1c was 7.4 last year and is now 6.4 but I've been advised at the clinic that it is really too low!
Shame. I want to avoid complications so much. I already have something like Charcot Joints but still have full sensation in my feet which are painful when I stand and walk so exercise except swimming is impossible and I have to use a wheelchair at work.
I have never lost weight on this diet and even on 800-1350 calories a day, I have lost no weight whatsoever. That's life. The doctor congratulated me on not putting on weight but I'd like less weight in the painful joints.
I very seldom crave carbs now and the diet is easy and nourishing. I believe I've done the best I can and will carry on like this.

Excellent results for my diabetes

I am sure you have done the best you can and that's all you can ask of yourself - well done:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm living on double cream at the moment - probably 100-150ml per day = 600-700 calories. My figures are below............

having tried Atkins etc in the past and not being able to stick to it, I am now convinced that the high fat bit of LCHF is crucially important. Lots of reading has helped me keep the faith.........."big fat lie", anything by malcolm kendrick etc). Cholesterol is a total irrelevance - I'm not interested in my level. It is carbs that kill you in the long run

Reactions: 3 people

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been a very high carb type 2 diabetic in all the more than 25 years that I have had the disease. But this is not to say that low carb high fat diet is bad for me or for anybody else. It just happened that I love carbohydrates very much.

May I invite your attention to this link: https://www.diabeteshealth.com/living-with-type-2-diabetes-under-control-without-meds-for 25-years/

Thanks for your time.

Bonny Damocles
First T2D to reach his 25th year as a diabetic with no diabetes complications
Male, 80 years old, 5'7", 139 lbs
No pharma drugs for any health problems

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been a very high carb type 2 diabetic in all the more than 25 years that I have had the disease. But this is not to say that low carb high fat diet is bad for me or for anybody else. It just happened that I love carbohydrates very much.

May I invite your attention to this link: https://www.diabeteshealth.com/living-with-type-2-diabetes-under-control-without-meds-for 25-years/

Thanks for your time.

Bonny Damocles
First T2D to reach his 25th year as a diabetic with no diabetes complications
Male, 80 years old, 5'7", 139 lbs
Sorry, Link isn't working.

EDIT: the link takes you to the front page of an e-zine. The article is on Page #3 of the magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have always loaded up on the cream in coffee only I now feel NO GUILT!!

Me too...it's the same when I'm munching through a chunk of cheese for a snack or 3 or 4 poached eggs for lunch.....haha:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very healthy into middle age, then gradually declined as arthritis in my hip set in, thus reducing my mobility and increasing my weight. Diagnosed T2 in Oct 2011 and weighing in at 134kg. (Eating a healthy diet, non smoker or alcohol) I was unable to reduce my weight, which the GP attributed to Gliclazide. Joined this programme 15th May 2016 and following sage advice fron "BlueTit" and "AndBreathe", I took on a low carb (< 30 carbs a day) diet In that intervening period , I have lost 10.7Kg weight, having struggled in the previous four years and have a revised and educated view of what my "good" diet needs to be. Mobility improved with a titanium hip, but still limited to walking with a stick. The one thing I want to identify regarding my diabetes was every medical practioner i spoke with, even on the DESMOND course said "cut the carbs. NOBODY , until "BlueTit", told me to reduce them to less than 30 carbs a day My typical daily intake is 658 Cals, 22 Carbs, 38 Fat,41 Protein,5 Fibre, 14 Sugar, o Chol, 2 Iron, O Calc, and 240 Sodium. My readings are in the normal range, my blood pressure is normal range, I do not have hunger pangs and i cannot wait to read my Hb1Ac results in September! Thank you all you guiding lights on this site (I wonder if Louise is looking for an (aged) boyfriend?)

Last edited by a moderator:

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@busydiabeticmum
Congratulations on the great improvement of your HbA1c. I thought the Newcastle diet was drastic at 800 cals per day and it was hard. I admire you determination and understand it as I got to that point as well. I also understand that this is your choice and it has been getting great results. But please be careful at that calorie level and consider lifting it so you don't run yourself into the ground and can sustain it for longer.
Great results
Cheers
Sorry for late reply!

I am a muslim and fast regularly so only eat once every 24 hours any way. Thanks for the concern... truly i have energy and doing really good with the diet... still going any way... i get my good feelings from the good bg reaults instead of from food now, which for me is excellent, my bg only goes up to about 5.8 an hout after eating and then stays at a steady and constant 5.4 for the rest of the day. I guess this is what my body was designed for, and maybe why i became diabetic too! I am having another hba1c done in august and if it is below 44 then will be classed as non diabetic, i will still get annual hba1c test, i get regular eye tests because of glaucoma in the family... i kniw however this is for life (even if they find a way to cure my pancreas i still class myself as intolerant to carbs!) I am enjoying my new diet, my weight loss... i am fitting clothes that havent fitted me in over 10 years! I have found foods and recipes that are healthy and taste good! Not to mention i can taste better (i cant tell you how unbelievable peppers taste now and how much flavour is in them compared to before) i feel great in myself and i am abke to do things i couldnt before! O had no energy after eating (like after a really heavy meal) now i can exercise, i can run with my kids, i am not grumpy, and i can say that my outlook on life since that post has been greatly improved. I still eat less than 400 calories a day, but not by restricting myself! I find i get full quickly now rather than before, i no longer see it as torture. I think that is the best success story... i no longer have the torture which was the symptoms of diabetes which i didnt realise were so bad until i got rid of them!

Reactions: 6 people

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, Link isn't working.

Oldvatr,
The last time I checked, my story is now on page 3. Please scroll down and click on page 3. The date of the article was June 18, 2916.

For the information of the person who asked, most of my past A1c's were between 5.2% and 6.3%, the last one done in April 2016, was 5.8%.

Thanks.

Bonny Damocles

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for late reply!

I am a muslim and fast regularly so only eat once every 24 hours any way. Thanks for the concern... truly i have energy and doing really good with the diet... still going any way... i get my good feelings from the good bg reaults instead of from food now, which for me is excellent, my bg only goes up to about 5.8 an hout after eating and then stays at a steady and constant 5.4 for the rest of the day. I guess this is what my body was designed for, and maybe why i became diabetic too! I am having another hba1c done in august and if it is below 44 then will be classed as non diabetic, i will still get annual hba1c test, i get regular eye tests because of glaucoma in the family... i kniw however this is for life (even if they find a way to cure my pancreas i still class myself as intolerant to carbs!) I am enjoying my new diet, my weight loss... i am fitting clothes that havent fitted me in over 10 years! I have found foods and recipes that are healthy and taste good! Not to mention i can taste better (i cant tell you how unbelievable peppers taste now and how much flavour is in them compared to before) i feel great in myself and i am abke to do things i couldnt before! O had no energy after eating (like after a really heavy meal) now i can exercise, i can run with my kids, i am not grumpy, and i can say that my outlook on life since that post has been greatly improved. I still eat less than 400 calories a day, but not by restricting myself! I find i get full quickly now rather than before, i no longer see it as torture. I think that is the best success story... i no longer have the torture which was the symptoms of diabetes which i didnt realise were so bad until i got rid of them!

If you are only eating 400 calories a day, what is happening with your weight? Are you losing weight, and if so, is the weight loss rapid?

I have to say, on a general note, that I wouldn't find 400 calories sustainable, and for me I would be losing significant poundage; and I'm sure a decent proportion of that weight loss would be lean muscle, which would be undesirable for me. 400 calories is very low and far lower than the bariatric surgery mimicking diets.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are only eating 400 calories a day, what is happening with your weight? Are you losing weight, and if so, is the weight loss rapid?

I have to say, on a general note, that I wouldn't find 400 calories sustainable, and for me I would be losing significant poundage; and I'm sure a decent proportion of that weight loss would be lean muscle, which would be undesirable for me. 400 calories is very low and far lower than the bariatric surgery mimicking diets.
My weight loss is slow but steady (or slower than i would like!) Every now and then i hit a platue. Since starting the diet in june i have lost 19kg, i went feom a bmi of 33 to now 27 (i dont look at the decimals tbh) i went from obese to over weight. I exercise and can say am seeing a massive improvement. I have started drinking vinegar at night to help speed weight loss and tackle dawn phenomena... only just started so will have to let you know how that goes if it works or not.

As to sustainable i have been on it since june... doing well, enjoying it, have energy... i know not all people can do it! Not all people fit into that box but i struggled to eat more than the 400 and looks as if before the diet i was only eating about 800 calories a day (and not loosing weight).

From may 2015 to june 2016 i was abke to loose the birth weight (started at 110kg down to my "normal" weight of 85kg) to be a healthy weight i have just 7kg more to loose! My waist (i have an ambilical hernia from having big babies) has shrunk by 19cm.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is such a success story and gives me hope since I prefer to be able to fast but so far have not done well fasting
If i wasnt fasting (religiously) i drink plenty of fluid and chew sugar free chewing gum, i keep busy and take a nap to keep my mind off things. Our prophet (saws) used to tie a smooth rock to his stomach so ge didnt feel the hunger pains so much!

As for while i am fasting religiously, i cant do this as no fluid or substance to pass my lips! So i keep active and busy more than i normally would. I find fasting easier than my friends... but usually after the 3rd day it gets easier. I am on day 5 today after taking a break for eid (at the end of ramadan).

Hope this helps as since i started fasting i saw a huge improvement in my blood sugars, for eid i was able to eat loads of sugar (the french opera cakes etc) it did go up but within 2 hours was down to 4.8! I dont think i am cured just think that i am giving my beta cells a break/rest and able to start catching up with basal line, storing insulin and hopefully reproducing and replacing the dead/non functioning beta cells. This is my theory anyway. So hopefully it will work... i hope also you do well... i teach my children that you will only go as far as your willing to push yourself!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight loss is slow but steady (or slower than i would like!) Every now and then i hit a platue. Since starting the diet in june i have lost 19kg, i went feom a bmi of 33 to now 27 (i dont look at the decimals tbh) i went from obese to over weight. I exercise and can say am seeing a massive improvement. I have started drinking vinegar at night to help speed weight loss and tackle dawn phenomena... only just started so will have to let you know how that goes if it works or not.

As to sustainable i have been on it since june... doing well, enjoying it, have energy... i know not all people can do it! Not all people fit into that box but i struggled to eat more than the 400 and looks as if before the diet i was only eating about 800 calories a day (and not loosing weight).

From may 2015 to june 2016 i was abke to loose the birth weight (started at 110kg down to my "normal" weight of 85kg) to be a healthy weight i have just 7kg more to loose! My waist (i have an ambilical hernia from having big babies) has shrunk by 19cm.

You have lost 19kg in a maximum of 44 days (30 in June, plus 14 elapsed thus far in July (not counting today)? That's averaging approximately 3lb a week, assuming you began on the 1st June, so I'd call that brisk enough.

If you only have 7kg to lose, how do you intend to manage things, looking forward? Does the 7kg take you into the "healthy" BMI range, or something else?

Finally, whilst I have no scientific back up on this, as I have never looked for any, I would suggest your DP may be exaggerated due to the severe restriction in your dietary intake. I personally don't set a huge amount of store in DP (which could of course be influenced by the fact that my own is very modest) is that your body makes a contribution from your stored energy to get you off to a decent start in the day. Once you eat, those stores will be replenished. Similarly, I am completely unfussed by general liver dumps, preferring to see them as a healthy physical reaction to hunger/stress or whatever. I tend to be comforted by my physical resources being run down and replenishing, in a similar way to cycling through food in the freezer. I want to have those stocks, but I don't want them to become aged by long term freezing.

That last bit is probably badly written, but it's how I view some of these things. o_O

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have lost 19kg in a maximum of 44 days (30 in June, plus 14 elapsed thus far in July (not counting today)? That's averaging approximately 3lb a week, assuming you began on the 1st June, so I'd call that brisk enough.

If you only have 7kg to lose, how do you intend to manage things, looking forward? Does the 7kg take you into the "healthy" BMI range, or something else?

Finally, whilst I have no scientific back up on this, as I have never looked for any, I would suggest your DP may be exaggerated due to the severe restriction in your dietary intake. I personally don't set a huge amount of store in DP (which could of course be influenced by the fact that my own is very modest) is that your body makes a contribution from your stored energy to get you off to a decent start in the day. Once you eat, those stores will be replenished. Similarly, I am completely unfussed by general liver dumps, preferring to see them as a healthy physical reaction to hunger/stress or whatever. I tend to be comforted by my physical resources being run down and replenishing, in a similar way to cycling through food in the freezer. I want to have those stocks, but I don't want them to become aged by long term freezing.

That last bit is probably badly written, but it's how I view some of these things. o_O
My body has never coped with stress and anger... and am normally stressed. I do get loads of sugar dumps in the day, but dp sends me up to the 6s sometimes. I do loads of exercise too. Yes 7kg takes me to the healthy weight range (or the upper limit anyway).

When i discovered i was diabetic from steriods i was put on in feb this year, my bloods were 29s, when i started the diet i had 16s before eating so was happy to just get bg lower than 10 then below 7s, i should be happy as havent seen a 7 for weeks but i guess the best thing to do is set a target and once you reach it to set a new target. The one i am on now is to keep bg below 6.

Not everyones bodies react so badly as mine which is why i say that what i am on is for my body... and i get there through testing several times a day as well as before and then at 1hr and 2hrs after eating (or hourly until my bloods return to normal) so as to understand what is going on with my body... i have also tested my non diabetic husband and try to attain his levels (though not the same diet)

This is what i am heading towards or at least trying to attain... if you set your levels low you will never reach your full potential how ever if you set your aims higher then you will always strive to do better!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My body has never coped with stress and anger... and am normally stressed. I do get loads of sugar dumps in the day, but dp sends me up to the 6s sometimes. I do loads of exercise too. Yes 7kg takes me to the healthy weight range (or the upper limit anyway).

When i discovered i was diabetic from steriods i was put on in feb this year, my bloods were 29s, when i started the diet i had 16s before eating so was happy to just get bg lower than 10 then below 7s, i should be happy as havent seen a 7 for weeks but i guess the best thing to do is set a target and once you reach it to set a new target. The one i am on now is to keep bg below 6.

Not everyones bodies react so badly as mine which is why i say that what i am on is for my body... and i get there through testing several times a day as well as before and then at 1hr and 2hrs after eating (or hourly until my bloods return to normal) so as to understand what is going on with my body... i have also tested my non diabetic husband and try to attain his levels (though not the same diet)

This is what i am heading towards or at least trying to attain... if you set your levels low you will never reach your full potential how ever if you set your aims higher then you will always strive to do better!
Just realised... not june. I started diet april the 2nd hba1c was in june, i didnt start seeing a proper weight loss until june though. First hba1c was 85 in feb, given result end of feb beginning of march, april researched lchf diet and reversal of diabetes as wasnt seeing much change in bgl on the diet they put me on. 6 weeks on lchf diet until 2nd hba1c.given result of 48 with a 1 month over lap and only 6 weeks on the diet so they agreed to re test in 3 months to make sure there was no over lap. There was a long time between doing hba1cs, getting results and speaking to the doctors.

But like i said it took a while to start seeing a weight loss (which was quite depressing). June i was 84kg.

Sorry for mix up as is really quite complicated.