low carbing & fibre (TMI)

goose64

I've been managing my diabetes by restricting carbs (not really low carbing) but am finding that I'm getting constipated. As my mother & grandfather both had bowel cancer I don't wany this to continue - i eat plenty of fruit & veg but it's not helping - any ideas?

paragliderpete

Hi Goose64, can't say I've had much experience , but you could try taking something like benefiber or similar fiber suppliment. I got mine from tesco, but I don't think all stores stock it. I did find that it caused my bm's to rise. You could also try fresh Figs or Apricots both are in season at the moment , and are high in fiber.

KennyS

Hello Goose and welcome!

I have been working on improving if not eliminating an IBS problem that I have lived with for years. I have approached this problem from three directions and, knock on wood, I seem to be moving in the right direction so's to speak. One, I eat a lot of head vegetables (broccoli, cabbage etc) and leafy veggies like spinach along with meat and fat. I am also working on my digestive system from the probiotic angle (good bugs). Their is much research to suggest that most of our metabolic and immune problems come from a poorly maintained gut. Third, I have been looking for a binder to replace eggs in various baking recipes. I like eggs but they just don't make recipes for some things taste good so, in a search for a suitable binder, I turned to psyllium husk.... works as a binder and as a natural fibre addition. I don't use a lot mind you as a lot of psyllium can actually be inflammatory but ..... what I am doing seems to be working as my IBS swings are much reduced for the better...

Hope this helps
Kenny :wave:

Defren

Hi Goose and welcome to the forum. This issue has been raised before, so hopefully I can help. A LCHF diet can cause a bit of a problem, I get around it by adding flax daily to my diet. You can buy flaxseed and grind it yourself or buy it ready ground. I have a bowl of full fat Greek yogurt, with berries, chia seeds and flax every day, and never have a problem. The flax is zero carbs so fits into a LCHF diet nicely.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Coconut flour is a fine powder rich in fibre - I use it in drinks, almond porridge & an almond cake-bread recipe.