Low Carbs & Hypothyroidism

SweetHeart

Morning All!

My husband was diagnosed as T2 two weeks ago now. It's taken us a while to come to terms with things and, after lots of research on these boards, my husband has decided to go low carb. At present he still has a slice of toast or two per day, but when the loaf is finished he may decide not to buy more, depending on how his BG is affected by the wholegrain seeded bread. His initial diagnosis fasting level was 14.9, but through diet it is steadily dropping, and this morning he is down to 7.8. He's had one spike (up to 13.1) caused, I think, by a largish portion of white rice the night before.

Now, I have said that, although I am non-diabetic, I'll go low carb with him. This may be a wise decision as my father is also T2, so heading off my chances of developing diabetes might be wise. I could also do with losing about two stones in weight.

I do, however, have hypothyroidism and I take 50mg Levothyroxine daily. My cholesterol is 5.0. so I'm concerned that on low carb the level might increase. Are any of you Low-Carbers hypothyroid sufferers and how does it effect you?

Thanks,

Julia

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
SweetHeart said:
I do, however, have hypothyroidism and I take 50mg Levothyroxine daily. My cholesterol is 5.0. so I'm concerned that on low carb the level might increase. Are any of you Low-Carbers hypothyroid sufferers and how does it effect you?

Julia, I don't know anything about hypohyroidism, but I do know that many people see a marked improvement in their blood lipid profile while low-carbing, so you'll probably find that your cholesteral will go down rather than up.

You should probably have a chat with your GP about it first (or at least do your own research on low-carb with hypothyrodism).

Jimmy Moore has had some guests talk about it:

Dr. Datis Kharrazian: Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms?
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shown...n-episode/

Janie Bowthorpe: Stop the Thyroid Madness
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shown...thorpe-ep/

Dr. Jorge Flechas: Iodine Therapy for hypothyroidism
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shown...isode-283/

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have hypothyroidism and take 100mg (mcg?) of Levothyroxine daily.

Low carbing doesn't affect this at all, except (for me) being the best way of losing weight. Also my cholesterol levels are never better than when I'm low-carbing. I refuse to take statins.

Lots of people low-carb in different ways and to different levels. The diet I use is a Sticky Thread, called Viv's Modified Atkins Diet. It works for me. If you think it's too low for you, use it as the basic diet and add in more carbs, such as fruit and veg, going for Low GI choices.

I enjoy my diet. I hope you will too! :D

Viv 8)

WhitbyJet

I have hypothyroidism, take 100mcg thyroxine twice a day, low carbing doesnt affect me negatively at all, I feel and am very healthy and fit.