1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carbs

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Petal55, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

Hi, I’m looking for help I’m really struggling at the moment with my meals and this is causing me to not stick to it ....doesn’t seem to change my blood sugar levels whatever I eat normal or low carb
    I’m not seeing my consultant till November as my appointment as been rescheduled..
    I take
    metformin twice a day 850 mg
    Gliclazide 160 mg twice a day
    Atorvastatin 1 a day though there is nothing wrong with my heart or cholestrol I was told this was to prevent it

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What are you eating in a typical day?

3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

If there's nothing wrong with your cholesterol levels, try discussing coming off of it. Statins up blood sgars, aside from a whole bunch of other quite nasty side effects, so it may be worth going without. (And this is coming from someone who has heart disease in the family on all sides. I'll not touch a statin again unless I can then thankfully die 3 days later, they made me so miserable!). Anyway... That is one reason why your blood sugars may not be coming down. As for the diet itself, what have you been doing up until now? It sounds, at the moment, like you're mixing carbs and low carbs... Low carb eating'll have to be kept up for the rest of your life to be successful, really... Ignoring the odd falling-off-the-wagon. It's a lifestyle, not a on-and-off kind of thing, because it'd make it hard, if not impossible, to reap the benefits.

So... Can you tell me, or us, as others will chime in, what your usual low carb meals, snacks and drinks look like? Maybe there's some hidden carbs you're not aware of somewhere, or it could be tweaked to fit your needs better, especially so you can actually eat stuff you like AND control your blood sugars.

If your diet is consistently low in carbs and there's no room for tweaking, you'll want to get further testing done (C-peptide and GAD testing for antibodies and insulin production values), but for now, lets assume this can be fixed yet... And go from there.

Hugs,
    Jo
    PS: With gliclazide in the mix, low carb can cause hypo's, so do be careful eh!

4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

When are you testing? Is it your morning numbers that don't change or have you been testing before and 2 hours after low and high carb meals to compare them?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

Hi all , I’m eating plenty of chicken with salad eggs with salad
    Egg & bacon & sausages, Weetabix or porridge for breakfast , odd slice of toast on nimble whole meal , chicken salad sandwiches on nimble whole meal , yoghurts and home made jelly’s

6. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

I’ve also looked on diet dr etc but don’t find food appealing so I wouldn’t stick to it as I’ve not got much of a eating palate

7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Yikes.. Weetabix or porridge are pretty awful for most peoples blood sugars and nimble probably won't help either.
    More chicken salad and less(no) sandwich will likely help more.
    Stick with the eggs and bacon and check your sausages for meat content. Aim for the 97% meat versions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

Thanks for the reply’s so far

9. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

I also do plenty off exercise a day

10. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

There up and down all day

11. xfieldok

Sorry, far too high carb. You need to drop the bread and cereals.

Some people wrap their food with lettuce instead of bread.

What are your favourite foods and maybe we can suggest something.

12. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

Chicken bananas pasta eggs bacon a sandwhich

13. xfieldok

Testing.
    Test before you eat.
    Test 2 hours after the first bite.
    If the difference in the readings is more than 2mmol then you had too many carbs.

You shouldn't be hungry on low carb.

14. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

Quite boring really I tried other diets but get fed up as food bland to me

15. xfieldok

It's not getting any better. Bananas are a no no. Have you heard of zoodles? They are spiralizer courgettes, a great carrier for sauce.

16. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

@xfieldok I can only stomach cereal in morning

17. xfieldok

I have coffee with double cream. Please test before and after your cereal tomorrow.

18. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

As you've already heard, weetabix, porridge, toast and sandwiches, pasta and banana's... None of those are low carb. So that's the good news: there IS actaully room for improvement and less of a chance you're a misdiagnosed T1 (Which happens more often than you might think).

So the puzzle now is to find things you like to eat. Do you use spices and herbs at all? As you mention foods being bland? An omelette with berries, coconut shavings, cream and maybe some erythritol (can do without, mind you). Cauliflower rice with curcuma, garlic, pepper and salt, cheese and maybe bacon's a staple here, though I might switch the herbs and spices around, goes great with just about any sort of meat... Snacks could be blocks of cheese, pork scratchings, olives, a square or two of extra dark chocolate, stuff like that. Full fat greek yoghurt, or for variety, full fat coconut yoghurt... With nuts, berries and/or coconut shavings, maybe with sweetener, cacoa or cinnamon...? Maybe make your own keto mug bread to replace the toast?

Think on what you'd like to eat and whether there are alternatives for it. You might be surprised....

19. xfieldok

If you can think of something you really fancy, google it and just put keto first.

20. Petal55

Petal55 · Active Member

Ok will do , thank you

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook