Low/ high blood sugar

Margo749

Hi.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 2 months ago. I'm 44 not overweight by much and have an active lifestyle. I'm taking 3 metformin a day. My count was 98 on the day I was diagnosed. I keep a check usually on my morning(b4 coffee) blood sugar. It is usually between 6/7.5. Yesterday I was put on keflex antibiotics for a kidney infection. Today my bloods are dipping and rising like crazy. I'm going from 4.3 to 16.8 in a few hours. Had low gi roll with ham mayo and lettuce(usual lunch). Just wondering if anybody knows, do antibiotics affect blood sugars?
I'm very new to all this and still learning. Tbh i have never watched my diet before or thought of calories or carbs, today is the first time I've heard about low carb diet being good for diabetes. The leaflet I got from nurse in my Dr office says complete opposite to what I've seen on dietdoctor. Going to join dietdoctor and see does it help.
Sorry for long winded post but just bit worried about the spikes in my BS. I've never gone so low before and I feel quite dizzy and nauseous:grumpy: with it. Also my BS has never been this high when I checked them either.
Any advise to deal with this?
Thank you
M

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually a type two diabetic does very well by restricting the amount of carbs eaten - I would not eat a low GI roll as they are not low carb - a lot of us lament the protein rolls Lidl used to do - but there are more low carb alternatives around now.
I tend to stick to foods which are 10 percent carbs or less, and have a daily limit of 40 gm of carbs - it seems to be working so far.

Margo749

Thanks for reply. It is the Lidl low gi rolls I have been using up in till now. Reading this forum today has been a real eye opener for me. I was worried about the spikes in my blood sugars today and was wondering has anybody experienced this from being on antibiotics?
Perhaps it has all to do with to much carbs in my diet. Have found some lovely recipe ideas online today. So here I go again trying to get my head around eating what's good for me.
M

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Margo749

Welcome to the Club No one really wants to join.

Not sure about the other drugs you are taking affecting blood sugars.
but 6/7 is very good i think, for a T2D in the early stages of monitoring.

and totally with you on the never watching diet, i used to eat what i liked with little obvious effect unto 2011.
then i had a scare and went all low cal this low fat that..fruit and cereal took up a lot of my diet..
but i was no angel ...i deffo drank too much.:sorry:

BUT since i got diagnosed, or more precisely since i came on here..my HBA1c has improved but more importantly my Lipids (aka Blood test scores ) all get way better.
all the good stuff happened when i switched to LCHF..( higher fats, but i prefer "better fats")..
how weird is that after all the years of DON'T eat fats..eating more fats got me into the safety zone re T2D and my bloods normalised..:rolleyes:

not being smug, but just to show that for me, the LCHF worked wonders.
and that the diet i also got given failed for me..(56..TO 57..and i was STARVING Hungry all the time..:***: )
here is my latest hba1c test post, with a chart of how much my blood works has improved.

Others, IF you stay and read have exceeded me, and all on this way of eating (WOE).

Plenty to read if you want to know more, sadly the HCP tend to dismiss this way of eating, but the proof of it's success is in every signature

Good luck finding reasons for the fluctuations.
and best of luck on your journey.
i hope if you can, you travel with us,

the results for me have been a god send.

Last edited:
Reactions: Margo749

Margo749

Lol I like it, The Club nobody wants to join. It's great to have some solid info from people who are going through it. Tbh the 6/7 Reading is when I behave myself don't mind the chocolate or cakes going. But I like my vodka or whiskey no way thats going. not everyday mind you but on the weekends, just substituted seven up free for my cranberry juice. When i was diagnosed i decided i was not giving up full fat milk, real butter or alcohol. Looks like the dairy products was a good plan anyway.
Thanks for your reply.
M

Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Margo749 , and welcome to the forum!
Usually it's not the antibiotics but the infection itself that plays havoc with our blood sugars.
I wish you a speedy recovery!

In addition, here is the information sheet about diabetes in general we like to give our new members. Please come back with any question you have and have a good read around the forum :)
Good luck!

(and wodka and whiskeyshouldn't raise bg, and nor does butter :) )

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd drop the rolls though - they are 45 gm of carbs per roll - my upper limit is 40 gm of carbs per day.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol I like it, The Club nobody wants to join. It's great to have some solid info from people who are going through it. Tbh the 6/7 Reading is when I behave myself don't mind the chocolate or cakes going. But I like my vodka or whiskey no way thats going. not everyday mind you but on the weekends, just substituted seven up free for my cranberry juice. When i was diagnosed i decided i was not giving up full fat milk, real butter or alcohol. Looks like the dairy products was a good plan anyway.
Thanks for your reply.
M

I also went full fat milk and cheese, etc.
and the odd vodka now goes with diet indian tonic water...used to be orange juice,
but now i prefer my new mixer.

i do thinks beers for me are what push my cholesterol slightly up, so worth keeping in check
i don't normally drink too much these days (holidays excepted) but when out a Guiness is about my lot,
then it's a vodka + diet tonic...Chin Chin.:D

Margo749

The rolls are history. It's fascinating reading the low carb diet. It is much more up my street than the diet I'm on.
Btw it totally makes sense when I read that it's the infection not tablets that are affecting my BS... Doh...
Chin chin