1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low Mood and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by madlyinpursuit88, Jul 7, 2019.

1. madlyinpursuit88

madlyinpursuit88 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi guys,

I've been diagnosed diabetic for over 10 years now. Unfortunately for the majority of the time I've had to deal with low mood and depression. This means during a low period, I can just about remember to wash myself let alone take my medication, most of the time I don't even think of checking my glucose levels.

I was hoping to find some help dealing with this? What do you put in place to help remind you to take your medication, and check your blood glucose? I've tried Google Calendar notifications, but during my low period I'm rarely if ever near my phone and even when I am I just ignore them.

Thanks for reading

Emma

• Hug Hug x 5
  2. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello @madlyinpursuit88 welcome to the forum.

Not sure what to say othe than ask if you mood is worse when your blood sugars are high or low?

Some do find that when high it becomes a chore to do things so only thing can suggest is to try and keep your levels between 4 and 10 might help but that by the sound of it might be a little bit of a trail and error.

I'll tag @Juicyj as she might have some more useful tips but will also tag @Fairygodmother , @Robinredbreast

Take care :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. madlyinpursuit88

madlyinpursuit88 Type 1 · Newbie

To be honest I have no idea if my blood glucose levels have any bearing on my mood. Like I said I find it hard to start again with checking regularly and staying on top of it

4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @madlyinpursuit88 and welcome :)

Maybe just start with a chat with your GP first and see if you can get some support with your low mood ?

From experience running high has affected my mood greatly, by keeping in range and keeping levels in range has meant I feel so much better, it's associated with running high blood glucose levels, too much glucose in your blood affects how you think and how you feel so tackling this will help improve your mood greatly, but getting some support too from your GP or nurse is vital.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi, I agree with juicyj, I think first port of call should be your GP and also your DSN, they are both there to help and support you as you are obviously struggling. Moods can affect our BG with swings and roundabouts.
    I have and still do have bouts of low moods/depression, but I have always taken my medication and test too.
    I hope you can turn things around soon, being in control of our diabetes and not letting it control us, is a good start to hopefully a more positive and a happier future for you.
    Take care x

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #5 Robinredbreast, Jul 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Do you live alone?
    I wondered if there was someone who might help with establishing a routine with you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. feniangirl

feniangirl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with juicyj as well. My secret weapon for reminding me to take my meds is Amazon's Alexa. She can be programmed to repeatedly remind you of a specific time to take pills, check glucose, various appointments or any thing else. You can set as many times and dates you need. I also request that she remind me to check my glucose 2 hrs. after I eat, because I get busy and forget. You can raise and lower the volume in case you aren't right these. Alexa is not expensive and can also be very informative and entertaining.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

BRILLIANT!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Paul Jay

Paul Jay Type 1 · Member

10. Paul Jay

Paul Jay Type 1 · Member

Hi, I have issue remembering if I’ve taken my shot and how much I’ve taken. I second guess myself all the time.
    I have a week chart on the fridge. And I put a tick on it when I’ve taken my meds. Sometimes I write how much I took and the time. It does help as you scan it when passing and it provides comfort and confirmation you’ve done what you need to do. (Bought from Amazon, fridge magnet weekly planner)
    My second tip is an app I have called Medisafe. You can set it up to keep reminding you. It’s free to use and it makes a sound like shaking a pot of tablets when it’s time to take your meds and it will keep reminding you every 5 mins or so until you turn it off. You can also snooze it if you want to adjust your med time.
    I also use it as a reference point. I go into the app and I can see that I’ve taken my meds as the med type and time of day has a tick ✅ on it.
    I hope this helps and stay in touch with the community.

All the best.
    PJ

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. sbnz

sbnz Type 1 · Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wondered if there's a watch you can get that might have an buzzy alarm thing to remind you? If it's a watch you keep on all the time you wouldn't even need to think about putting it on every morning.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. spencersings56

spencersings56 Type 2 · Newbie

14. spencersings56

spencersings56 Type 2 · Newbie

Maybe if you have your meals sat at the same place most days (or at least breakfast at home) you could put the medications you need in full sight, so you can't help but see them, as that would act as a reminder? Just a suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

That's what I do. I don't take any diabetic meds but have to take levothyroxene first thing in the morning, and antidepressant med in the evening.
    I leave the meds on my kitchen work top next to where I prepare food and drink and take the levothyroxene before I make my morning coffee, and the antidepressant while I'm preparing my evening meal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook