Low salt and sugar foods, spreads and sauces.

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I enjoy the Marks and Spencer range of balanced meals as many are low salt and sugar and tasty. I have today found Tesco do Tomatoe sauce with 50% less sugar and 65% less salt. Or Heinz have 50% less sugar and 25% less salt tomatoe sauce. I discovered Heinz also have soups and bake beans 50% less sugar and 25% les salt. My local 99p stores do Gullon sugar free biscuits and Gluten free as well. Becoming Diabetic and changing to a healthy diet is a bit of a learning curve.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember to watch for the total carb content, as well as the sugars.

I have read very mixed reviews of those Gullon biscuits - no added sugar, but still high carb.
And i avoid baked beans completely, even the no sugar ones, because the beans themselves spike my blood glucose.

Sorry to be a voice of doom and gloom, but really i am just suggesting you test everything, to check it works for you.

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
foodlikeproducts.jpg

Reactions: 11 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I agree with the testing of everything.
I'm at the moment going through a phase of testing everything I eat, I test BG before meals and 2hrs after, I have set meals that I have worked out the affect they have on my BG levels I add a new food and check for spikes. Example baked beans a big no no, unless they have all the tomato sauce washed off and even then I can't get away with more than 2 tablespoons.

I've also worked out that if I eat every 4hrs, I'm tending to avoid liver dumps, something that has been a real curse recently.
I also end up eating something at around 2am to avoid the dawn phenomenon.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used Heinz all my life and won't change now. I like the spicy
Ketchup.

julia_maleary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the testing of everything.
I'm at the moment going through a phase of testing everything I eat, I test BG before meals and 2hrs after, I have set meals that I have worked out the affect they have on my BG levels I add a new food and check for spikes. Example baked beans a big no no, unless they have all the tomato sauce washed off and even then I can't get away with more than 2 tablespoons.

I've also worked out that if I eat every 4hrs, I'm tending to avoid liver dumps, something that has been a real curse recently.
I also end up eating something at around 2am to avoid the dawn phenomenon.
Excuse my ignorance but what is liver dumps?

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Excuse my ignorance but what is liver dumps?

It's just a term for when the liver dumps glucose and raises the BG, also known as the dawn phenomenon in my case it been happening during the day as well, it's something I need to talk over with my GP this week.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I've used Heinz all my life and won't change now. I like the spicy
Ketchup.
Me too till now. Aldi do one that's cheaper nicer and more ingredient friendly .... never be afraid of change.

Reactions: 2 people

Downtown_Man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Warning: Avoid Heinz Ketchup Like The Plague, Here’s 3 Research Backed Reasons Why
http://healthycures.org/warning-avo...e-plague-heres-3-research-backed-reasons-why/

Looking at the Nutrition labels on a bottle of regular and a bottle of 50% less sugar - I can happily report that the article seems completely wrong at least for the UK.
For the 50% reduced - ingredients in order:
Tomatoes (174g per 100g of ketchup)
Spirit Vinegar
Sugar
Salt
Spice & Herb extracts
Sweetener (Steviol Glycosides)
Spice

Per 100g
Energy 64kcal
Fat 0.1g
Carbs 11.9
of which sugars 11.4g
Protein 1.4g
Salt 1.3g

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A 15ml serving of Heinz Tomato Ketchup (50% less sugar) is 1.8g of carbs.