1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lower carbohyrdate diet

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Little Fonzy, May 16, 2018.

1. bronisaurus

bronisaurus Type 1 · Newbie

Hi JoJoS, I’m new to this forum and to low carb eating but for what it’s worth I’ve already lost weight in less than a week of low carb eating.
    I’m loving this result, but what I love more is feeling clear headed because after meal spikes are so much lower and overnight my sleep quality is better even though I wake to check bsl ( I live alone) .

I have eaten plenty of nuts and cream and eggs and meat so I wasn’t convinced that I would lose weight straight away. This morning I’m working on my shopping list so that I make sure I’ve got the pantry and freezer loaded with good options. I didn’t mention but lots of salad and non starchy vegetables have also been consumed.

Looking at my app that I record everything I am putting so much less Humalog into my body on a daily basis and thus not ‘feeding’ that extra insulin with carbs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have been type 1 for 37 years and at last hospital appointment I had put on some weight so decided low carb

I still have about 45 g at breakfast, 20 at lunch and 20 at evening meal. I do this for 5 of the 7 days a week Cut out bread potatoes rice and pasta and I am not missing them at all.

In six weeks I lost around 4 kg, so overall happy with way things are going

• Like Like x 1
  3. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

But, apart from that...

Yes, I rushed into it too quickly. I was away from home for the day, and I just thought I was going to collapse. Desperate to eat anything to feel better. Should have reduced gradually.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lefeilouss

lefeilouss Type 2 · Active Member

Anyone experiencing frequent Hypos if you exercise? How do you overcome that?

Do you have some carbs during pre or post workout?

Any advice and thoughts?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook