Lucentis injections

mopsy21

Hi Lianne13

Sorry to learn this; it's not the news you want to hear at all.

I'm type 1, and I've just started a course of Lucentis in my right eye (diabetic macular oedema). Initial results are favourable. Clarity and colour have been largely restored to the vision in that eye, and the distortion has lessened. I've got another two injections to go, and I'm hopeful of the sight improving further.

I must say the thought of the injection was much worse than the reality! It was quite a quick procedure, and the injection didn't hurt at all - just a little discomfort later that day and from time to time for a couple of days afterwards. They give you eye drops to use for up to seven days after the injection to prevent infection, and these seemed to help.

Good luck and try not to worry too much about the procedure. It's really not too bad if my experience is anything to go on.

lianne13

Thanks I'm just so unsure of the results but I'm glad yours went well! How quickly did you notice an improvement? It only seems to be my distance vision that it's affecting everything else seems okay!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mopsy21

The slight improvement was the day after the injection. The vision issues were not huge beforehand; the Lucentis leaflet talks about improving difficulties in reading/driving etc, but my eye had not got to that stage, and hopefully it sounds as if yours are not there either! I thnk as diabetics the problems get picked up earlier than, say, age-related macular degeneration, which is also treated with Lucentis. I only really noticed the difference between each eye a few weeks before the assessment in January, which is when I was told I would be having Lucentis injections. The vision with both eyes was/is fine, but the right eye on its own distorted images, particularly faces. As you've found, it's mainly distance that you notice, although I did detect a slight deteriation in close vision with the right eye (i'm short sighted, so I normally have excellent close vision). Thankfully, this also improved after the injection. No doubt about it - Lucentis is a powerful drug!

Hope this helps and that you start the treatment soon.

lianne13

Yeah i only noticed a difference after I was out on a fluid drip in hospital and they think some of that fluid from the drip could have went to my eyes! Said I didn't have a lot of fluid around my macular either which I suppose is good!

lianne13

Hi just to let you know had my first injection and was not bad at all. The doctor and nurses were great! Got a floater though which feels weird but that will go! Just need to wait in the outcome now! Thanks!

mopsy21

Hi, glad the injection went well. You should see some improvement in now.

I'm just back at work following the second injection last Friday. This time was a little different - instead of just drops for the anaesthetic, the consultant injected it direct into the eye (possibly twice). Hence at least two injections into the eye! Outcome in terms of vision was stll the same, ie steady improvement, but the aftermath was not good. A blood vessel was nicked during one of the injections, which led to the eye being bruised. Coupled with the injection sites and the bruising, the eye was rather more painful than the first time, and there was a significant amount of redness, which was a bit distubing. You may wonder why I'm telling you this! I checked with the local Eye Casualty unit and was reassured that this sometimes happens with the injections. She told me that blood collects at the bottom of the eye and that this would disappear, but could take up to three weeks. The time to worry would be if the pain continued or got worse or if the vision deteriorated. None of these happened, and the pain only lasted as long as the discomfort did the frst time.

So I'm sorry to maybe put a damper on you looking forward (!) to your next injection, but it really is just one of those things. I understand that the injections are usually no trouble at all. It depends on.who is carrying out the procedure as to whether anaesthetic drops or injections are used, but nicking a blood vessel is just bad luck, just like with insulin injections!

Please don't worry too much! You should have been given phone numbers for your local Eye Casualty and information on whether to contact them. I spoke to a nurse there, and she was very helpful. They're quite happy for people to ring, but let's hope your next injection goes smoothly.

Good luck!