NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it safe for T2 to drink Lucozade when feeling weak or hungry?

I know it’s OK for T1s, but how about T2s?

I’m still learning, please advice!

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well by now you should know that Type 1's use it raise their blood sugar when low so.....unless you are having a hypo it's not a great idea for Type 2's.

Reactions: dbr10

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a number of preconditions in this question.
As T2 I never make any comments on anything to do with T1, for me it's a whole different ball game and I certainly wouldn't make such a sweeping comment on them.
T2's. weak or hungry, I would suggest, are not the same and how any one person would get to either place could differ.
I wouldn't touch the stuff.
If this site tells you anything as a T2 it is: test and see for yourself, as you might be different (or we are not all the same)
Why would you ask?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only speak as a T2 who is not on any medication. My personal experience is that, if i wait for about 15-20 mins, resting if possible, and eating something low carb (preferably protein) if possible, my liver kicks in and my shakyness goes. Even if i dont eat, it still passes and my sugars stabalise.

I have found, over the past 6+ years of being T2 that the lower my base blood sugar level on a daily basis, the fewer shaky episodes i get, unless something happens like a panic attack or sudden emergency.

I do get shaky episodes that can last for longer than 15-20 mins, and have fainted a couple of times recently, but that seems to be linked to the menopausal hormone fluctuations just now and will pass - according to my DN. But even when I have fainted (fortunately only at home, not alone, and keeping my blood sugars stable seems to have stopped them happening or me getting so uncomfortable these past few months) my liver does its stuff and kicks in eventually. I havent gone below 3.5.

If I had lucosade or something sweet it would then put my blood sugars high and a few hours later i would get a rebound shaky episode, often worse than the initial one.

This is only my personal experience, others may well have other experiences and ways of dealing with shakyness.

Have you measured your blood glucose levels when you feel hungry or weak?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only Lucozade zero maybe? ;)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s flavoured sugar water, why would anyone drink it?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I drank lucozade, it would make me feel more tired and weaker. There are studies that show sugery drinks increase appetite and dehydration so definately not helpful in a sports context.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s flavoured sugar water, why would anyone drink it?

With the intent to fix a hypoglycaemic event..
You see, during such cases with insulin dependants or Glickazide prescribed. We don't know where these lows might decide go?
So to bring ourselves back from an attack it's best to use a quick acting rapid carb to pull the bloods in check,
Rather than just hit the deck..

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's 'safe to drink but not really a good idea. It will raise your BS quickly but it will also drop quickly which could leave you feeling even worse than before.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You have learned how to read labels and how to carb count, I am curious as to know the reason for your question. As a T2 not on insulin or bg lowering drugs I have never even come close to a hypo so the only reason that I can think of for your question is that you must like the sickly sweet taste of Lucozade and might be searching for a good reason to drink it. Am I miles away from the real reason?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yep. Oh dear, and I was drinking a bottle a day in the best of faith that it would help with energy levels and fatigue whilst on chemo. Something helped as I didn't suffer too much at all, but I went from non-diabetic (not even pre diabetic) to T2 during that year. Admittedly I was also consuming gallons of cranberry juice, eating bananas every day, and consoling myself with chocolate, not to mention covering a lot of food in table sugar so I could actually taste something. . So maybe the Lucozade wasn't entirely to blame. :arghh:

Last edited:
Reactions: hankjam

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep. Oh dear, and I was drinking a bottle a day in the best of faith that it would help with energy levels and fatigue whilst on chemo. Something helped as I didn't suffer too much at all, but I went from non-diabetic (not even pre diabetic) to T2 during that year. Admittedly I was also consuming gallons of cranberry juice, eating bananas every day, and consoling myself with chocolate, not to mention covering a lot of food in table sugar so I could actually taste something. . So maybe the Lucozade wasn't entirely to blame. :arghh:
Yes. Had a relative who used to drink boxes of sweetened cranberry juice a day - because it's good for you, right? Turns out it wasn't.
I had a similar problem with fruit, especially blueberries. Piled on about half a stone around the middle and that was it.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everything in moderation.
Cranberry juice can be a godsend if you're struggling with a uti.
One small glass on a daily basis whilst the uti exists.