Lump on stomach, worried

jagger38

I am on a animas pump, and normally use my stomach and sides to put the insets in. Recently I noticed a site that I had used, had left a small red lump which did not disappear like it normally does. It has now grown in size, and although not painful, looks like it could be infected. I am always very careful with hygiene, and am not sure what it could be. It looks like scar tissue, and I am planning on visiting my doctor next week. Would anyone be able to give me some advice, as I am concerned. Many thanks.....

C

catherinecherub

I'll bump your post up Jagger in the hope that someone will answer.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had something similar at Christmas but it became angry looking very quickly so I saw my GP who gave me antibiotics, it raised my sugars too so I'd get it sorted soon. I believe it was cellulitis but if yours isn't too bad it might be something else.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JoB90

Dislikes
Needles & Being Type 1 Diabetic & Being Partially Blind
Although i dont use a pump at the moment, im changing over soon as i have had lumps where i inject. I get them a lot & they become red & inflammed, i massage the area for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day & they go down, i have also recently started to spray my injection site with anti-septic spray before i inject & it had stopped the redness
Hope this helps.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jagger38,
A lump could be one of two things it is either infected,or it could be some some small amount of muscle that builds up underneath the skin when your set is left in for too long or sites are not rotated enough. It happens more if you have sensitive skin as well. I use a tea tree oil body wash in the shower which is really good at keeping things clean. It's also really good at helping to clear up infections if you have any neat stuff. I find it works far better than antiseptic creams/sprays/gels. Which hazel I find is really good at healing up the muscle type of lumps, but you have to let the skin around it heal as well which means changing your insertion area until the lump has healed up. Sets can go anywhere there is some loose skin, so could be thighs, bums, upper arms and hips as well as your stomach. Hopefully it will clear up soon but probably better off getting the doctor to have a look as well.
Laura