Mad cyclist with possible type 1

Theblarney

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Following fairly substantial weight loss I went to my doctor who tested my HBA1C which came back very high. I was then told to come back after 6 weeks for a follow up blood test.

I had reduced my average a fair amount but given another 6 weeks to reduce further but told its looking likely I am type 2.

Following a visit with the diabetic nurse she sent off more bloods but specifically testing my GADS. The test has now come back where I am likely a Type 1 but my bloods are pretty good, below 7 after meals (without medication) but 8ish first thing in the morning before breakfast so really confused.

I am waiting for my referral to the specific diabetic team which will hopefully tell me more.

As mentioned I am a mad if not obsessed with mountain biking and hope this will not effect my cycling too much

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum :). There’s no reason at all that this should affect your cycling. At some point you will require insulin to manage rising blood glucose levels so you will need to plan ahead at this point and ensure you’re carrying a good supply of fast acting glucose to treat hypos as well as adjusting your insulin to manage exercise - runsweet.com is a site developed by doctors to help diabetics who exercise and should help give you good pointers.

I run, cycle and swim and am fully dependent on insulin and although I can manage to do these I still have to plan carefully around each to avoid going low/high, but refuse to let anything stop me.

Reactions: Antje77

Theblarney

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum :). There’s no reason at all that this should affect your cycling. At some point you will require insulin to manage rising blood glucose levels so you will need to plan ahead at this point and ensure you’re carrying a good supply of fast acting glucose to threat hypos as well as adjusting your insulin to manage exercise - runsweet.com is a site developed by doctors to help diabetics who exercise and should help give you good pointers.

I run, cycle and swim and am fully dependent on insulin and although I can manage to do these I still have to plan carefully around each to avoid going low/high, but refuse to let anything stop me.

That’s brilliant, thanks for the response!

D

Deleted Account

There are Olympic gold medallists, professional rugby players, football players, basketball players, ...
As well as actors, musicians, prime minister, ...
I have climbed, sailed, sky dived, mountain biked, ... since being diagnosed with type 1.
So my advice is to get on your bike and continue your madness.
Ok, you probably should test your BG first and take fast acting carbs with you but you can definitely continue to throw yourself down steep mountain tracks on two wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Juicyj and therower

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
having diabeties doesn't stop us doing anything. At the moment i just cycle but in the past i have rollerbladed, horse riding and i've been T1D since i was 7 i'm now 18. Also a year after i was diagnosed. I actually rock climbing wall and this was when i was 8.

I agree with the others to test before you cycle. Also if you feel low or your noticing your not controlling your bike like when you normally do when your on a trail and if it's possible to stop (I've never done mountain biking). Stop and test to avoid putting other cyclists on the trail at risk and to avoid hurting yourself.

So it shouldn't affect your cycling.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As mentioned I am a mad if not obsessed with mountain biking and hope this will not effect my cycling too much

It hasn't held this team of all diabetic professional cyclists back!

https://www.teamnovonordisk.com

Main thing to keep in mind is that when you exercise, there's a mechanism in each cell called glut4 - glucose transporter 4 - they work way more efficiently when exercising so less insulin is needed to achieve the same effect compared to when you're sitting in front of the telly.

So, if the at present uncertain T1 dx is confirmed, each time you're deciding on an insulin dose, don't just look at the carbs in the meal and the insulin dosage in isolation: think also about how much exercise you've already had that day (bg dropping effect if exercise can continue for a while - it's called after-drop), and will have in the rest of the day. If there has or will be a lot, you'll generally be looking at tailing back the insulin dose quite a bit as you don't want glut4 and insulin double-teaming up.

It can be a tricky balancing act, but it's doable.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
another tip: Also carry something like a piece of paper or card with you that says:
(Your name)
(Medical conditions and allergies (if any))
(Mum/Dad etc.. mobile number)
Because at least if you ever have an accident (Which probs happens quite a lot and also why i don't want to try mountain biking as you probbably fall off a lot) and injur yourself at lease Emergency Services and Staff know your diabetic etc...

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Theblarney . I've also just joined the forum and am a keen mountain biker. I wouldn't let type 1 worry you about being able to continue mountain biking. I've been diabetic for 27 years and have have raced mountain bikes for the last 5. I wouldn't lie to say that it is easy but you find your way and what works for you. I'm just considering going onto a pump but am wrestling with how easy it will be if I knock it out during a crash! My biggest advice would be to try and get a freestyle libre if at all possible either through NHS or privately. This has been the one thing that has made such a difference. You can pull it out of your pocket and test without even having to stop. you also see how youve been tracking the during the whole exercise period - invaluable!

HAppy to help with any questions you have :)

Reactions: Juicyj