Made a big mistake in the pub

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ordered a diet lemonade, which they didn't have, but they said they had diet Pepsi, so I had that. It tasted too sweet, so for my next drink I had soda water.
Just tested my BS - 14.1 !!! I'm so cross. I've been really strict with control recently and have apparently undone it all tonight. Grrrr!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
This has happened to me before and it's so annoying when the bar staff get it wrong. I was advised to drink plenty of water and go for a walk which did bring it down.

Please do ring wherever you bought your drink and tell them what happened so the staff can be educated on how their stupidity can be dangerous.

Reactions: dbr10 and RosieLKH

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And weirdly, just 15 minutes later, plus 2 glasses of water, I'm now at 11.2.

Reactions: Chook
D

Deleted member 308541

Please do ring wherever you bought your drink and tell them what happened so the staff can be educated on how their stupidity can be dangerous.
It's a caveat emptor situation @Chook.

I volunteer to work behind the bar at the bowls club I am a member of. I hold a Queensland RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate that I understand the responsible sales of alcohol to people that are drunk, or sell to under age children (18). It does not say anything about soft drinks diet or otherwise.

I offer an alternative if we do not either have it stock, or do not sell the product. It is up to the customer to decide what he / she wants not me.

As I said it's caveat emptor, or the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

Reactions: Ixarix

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's a caveat emptor situation @Chook.

I volunteer to work behind the bar at the bowls club I am a member of. I hold a Queensland RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate that I understand the responsible sales of alcohol to people that are drunk, or sell to under age children (18). It does not say anything about soft drinks diet or otherwise.

I offer an alternative if we do not either have it stock, or do not sell the product. It is up to the customer to decide what he / she wants not me.

As I said it's caveat emptor, or the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

But she asked for diet Pepsi and it is reasonable for her to expect that she got what she asked and paid for. In my case I asked for diet tonic and got the full sugar variety. The person serving was in the wrong and should be advised of their error.

Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted member 308541

I ordered a diet lemonade, which they didn't have, but they said they had diet Pepsi, so I had that.

I will quote this bit.

But she asked for diet Pepsi and it is reasonable for her to expect that she got what she asked and paid for

The OP wanted to buy a diet lemonade which they did not have, but was offered diet pepsi instead which she purchased.

The next time I bet @RosieLKH will not ask for diet pepsi, sorry if this seems harsh but it's still caveat emptor.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats quite difficult in UK pubs soft drinks like cola and lemonade are most often dispensed from a handheld pump mechanism that relies on the server pressing the right button - short of leaping over the bar and peering over the servers shoulder to make sure theyve pressed the right button for the requested drink, theres not a lot the buyer can do to check

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, that was the problem, it's a pump button. Also, yes, I won't even bother ordering that again, especially since soda water is free!

Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted member 308541

Thats quite difficult in UK pubs soft drinks like cola and lemonade are most often dispensed from a handheld pump mechanism that relies on the server pressing the right button
The bar person said they had no "diet lemonade" but offered an alternative which the OP accepted.

It has nothing to do with the bar person pressing the wrong button on a dispensing machine, and serving the wrong drink.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Annoying, I agree!

But I have to admit that I have made far bigger mistakes in the pub :D.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Annoying, I agree!

But I have to admit that I have made far bigger mistakes in the pub :D.
Yeah - not even going to go there on mistakes in pubs! I seem to remember the start of an evening where Guiness and cider mix was the order of the day, ahem!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that was the problem, it's a pump button. Also, yes, I won't even bother ordering that again, especially since soda water is free!

Rosie - Some people choose to test their drinks, either using their blood glucose meter, or urine dip strips. That could help perhaps.

As for undoing it all tonight? I feel for you, but I doubt all is completely undone.

With this diabetes malarkey, every day's a school day.

Reactions: Serena51 and Ixarix

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rosie - Some people choose to test their drinks, either using their blood glucose meter, or urine dip strips. That could help perhaps.

As for undoing it all tonight? I feel for you, but I doubt all is completely undone.

With this diabetes malarkey, every day's a school day.

Normally it wouldn't bother me too much. I'd just class it as a one off and move on, but I am due to have a non-urgent operation on Tuesday (cataract) and just wanted my BS to very controlled as it's scheduled for 7:15 a.m. and I know that's when I'm at about my highest. I've been working hard on trying to keep the dreaded dawn phenomenon at bay, which is why it's so particularly annoying. I have some urine dip strip somewhere. I'll have to dig them out - or just stick to soda. I prefer that anyway!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally it wouldn't bother me too much. I'd just class it as a one off and move on, but I am due to have a non-urgent operation on Tuesday (cataract) and just wanted my BS to very controlled as it's scheduled for 7:15 a.m. and I know that's when I'm at about my highest. I've been working hard on trying to keep the dreaded dawn phenomenon at bay, which is why it's so particularly annoying. I have some urine dip strip somewhere. I'll have to dig them out - or just stick to soda. I prefer that anyway!

Ohh. That is annoying, but I still doubt the single episode will have done too much longer term harm.

Very good luck with your op. I gather that cataract surgery can be life transforming, in a brief space of time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @RosieLKH

It’s not nice when that happens. I now only drink sodas when I can actually see the can or bottle they come out of. So as well as avoiding the pump dispensers in pubs, I also no longer use the self service machines in case the buttons have been hooked up to the wrong drinks.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very good luck with your op. I gather that cataract surgery can be life transforming, in a brief space of time.[/QUOTE]

Seconded.
And the person who had Guinness and cider, for the diabetic (poor man's) black velvet can be a grey area

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very good luck with your op. I gather that cataract surgery can be life transforming, in a brief space of time.

Seconded.
And the person who had Guinness and cider, for the diabetic (poor man's) black velvet can be a grey area

Yes, I've already had one eye done, so know what's in store.

And I hasten to add that the poor man's black velvet was when I was at the tender age of 19, long before diabetes reared its ugly head. Of course, those carefree dietry days were exactly the ones that brought me here! That and a stressful job where I ate rubbish to compensate.

BS this morning, which is normally at its highest, is the lowest it's been for a while. So all the water last night possibly helped with that.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ordered a diet lemonade, which they didn't have, but they said they had diet Pepsi, so I had that. It tasted too sweet, so for my next drink I had soda water.
Just tested my BS - 14.1 !!! I'm so cross. I've been really strict with control recently and have apparently undone it all tonight. Grrrr!
I know of woman whose nephew went out to eat and asked for diet coke. It was dispensed from one of those bar style pumps. She was assured it was diet coke - it wasn't. You can't trust anyone.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will quote this bit.

The OP wanted to buy a diet lemonade which they did not have, but was offered diet pepsi instead which she purchased.

The next time I bet @RosieLKH will not ask for diet pepsi, sorry if this seems harsh but it's still caveat emptor.
Not really. It's negligence.