Magic Wand

Rakhi_gohil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If someone told you that they have a magic wand and they can take away your Diabetes for a day. Would you take them up on that offer?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not me - I've got chicken thighs with crunchy skin, cauliflower and mushrooms for dinner, followed by strawberries and cream.
I'm perfectly happy with that.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T2 - probably not as I wouldn't do much different than I do now, but, if I was T1 I would most definitely say yes - I cannot imagine how all consuming counting, calculating, testing, counting again must be so it would be wonderful for someone with T1 just to have 24 hours of not dong this. I don't think it's about food but freedom xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Not sure. Would waking up the next day be like that moment of dis gnosis again, with all the emotional upheaval and people not understanding?

Rakhi_gohil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure. Would waking up the next day be like that moment of dis gnosis again, with all the emotional upheaval and people not understanding?
Nope you wouldn't have to go through that all again it's just be back to your usually routine. It'll be more like a break for 24 hours

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Nope you wouldn't have to go through that all again it's just be back to your usually routine. It'll be more like a break for 24 hours
Ok. I'm in. Who has the wand?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I would quite happily have a day off please. Especially after today which has been diabetically pants. I woke up at midnight needing a wee, which is normally a good signal of a hyper. I wasn't mega high, but higher than I'd like, 7.4 so I gave half a unit and went back to sleep. At 7:30 when I woke up I was 8.5 because my pump had decided I was going to drop low (obviously I wasn't) and had suspended my insulin for the last two hours. So when I bolused for breakfast my body went "yeah that's nice, but blood sugar won't be moving under 8 for well over 90 minutes cos I've not had any insulin going in at all for the last two hours, so you know how you were going to have raspberries, lol no". It did make getting to my yoga class a little tight the morning. I would happily put this stupid pump in the microwave, I do not cope well with waking up high. And the predictive low suspend did NOT stop me passing out hypo for at least a little while yesterday afternoon. I mean I live alone so I'm not sure exactly how unconcious I was or for how long but there was definitely lost time and I was 2.2 when I was with it enough to realise I had to test.

So yes, when can I have my day off?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Till midnight?
Until the "prince" shows up with a glass slipper shaped vial of insulin..

Reactions: Rakhi_gohil