1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Magnificent May Fast!

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by bulkbiker, May 20, 2018.

1. rab5

rab5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ll get me coat!

• Like Like x 1
  2. rab5

Come to think of it it might be a cultural thing. In Ireland we are not so sensitive about words. We tend to wax lyrical with the odd word that other nations(the English find offensive by the looks of things). I will endeavour to help the MODS out but maybe a list of banned words by pm might be helpful

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I believe the reason is because this is an open forum where every Tom, **** and Uncle Tom Cobley can read without registering to become a member. Many of these people are children.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rab5

Even your post is vetted.

I suppose if there are kids who can read words it would be a massive crime if they read a curse word. That I understand

5. rab5

Just to confirm I’m having a wee laugh

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes, widely read, and so need to keep in mind cultural sensitivities. Moderation of posts is not a personal thing. I often have a good laugh before I edit. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

now i really want to know if you typed the word or put asterix..

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

So do I. :banghead::hilarious:

9. Bluetit1802

I typed the name. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

:sorry:
    You are right, of course, duly noted

p.s. Just thought - do the 'like's and 'agree's or whatgever, get deleted as well?

• Like Like x 1
  11. bulkbiker

Hope we don't get many abbreviated Richards joining the forum or their names will get changed..

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Thanks for clarifying that Blue***1802.
    :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bluetit1802

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

14. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I honestly don't know.

15. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

To return to the topic of the thread..
    I am happy to report no rebound of weight, which remains the same loss of 3.5 kg.
    I haven't measured ketones, but have avoided carb foods and beer. BG levels are all in 6s, and even that liver dump where I have been seeing 8s an hour after getting up has taken a holiday today. I am not having breakfast until 1pm, and main meal finished by 7pm, only eating in that 6 hour window.
    Thinking of investing in bathroom scales that do the body fat percentage magic. Happy to keep using the ketostix unless anyone can give a good reason why I need to invest in ketone meter instead.
    Oh and the main meal since my fast was roast goose, with buttery cabbage, and green beans. Delicious!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. bulkbiker

Noice... that sounds v tasty and all that fat saved for cooking I trust..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Of course. Although after we had feasted on the crispy, fatty skin there was rather less of it left than anticipated.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Pipp just a little bit of info re ketones. I find that my ketostix no longer register my ketones think this happens over time and I’ve been keto for 9 months now - however I’m motoring along on average day of 1.6 ketones when I test my blood which I do about once a week. I got a free carenssens duo meter from spirit healthcare which is free delivery too if you buy one pack of ketone testers. They work out at a pound per test but accurate and resssuring. Think that as body gets more efficient in doing ketones it dosent waste them by spilling them into your urine. The ketostix worked well in beginning but now don’t register at all. Just a thought as not a huge investment if you or anyone else is interested in testing their ketones. See below
    http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/caresens-dual-blood-glucose-and-ketone-meter/

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Bluetit1802

@Pipp another ketone meter is the one that comes with the Libre sensor reader. It is dual purpose, but you do need the ketone strips for it. I mention it in case you are considering buying one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Thank you @shelly262 and @bluetit. Really useful info, much appreciated.

Having only had ketones tested before during my monitored Newcastle diet phase, (seven years ago), I don't feel a great need for regular accurate measurement. This recent short fast made me realise I recognise the feeling of ketosis. Although this time, the ketostix only just turned colour, indicating mild ketosis, the feeling of wellbeing, lots of energy, and no hunger felt the same as I remember from that ND time. Although I am inquisitive about how things work, I am wary of becoming obsessive. Not that I am suggesting that would be the case for everyone. I just know and understand myself. Not saying never, but not for now.

As for the Libre, I would really like to have constant monitoring of BG levels, but have been advised by immunology consultant that it is not suitable for me as due to my rare immune condition it could cause a severe reaction to have the 'foreign body' of that mini probe in place, and adhesive as well as being an allergen for me, would probably not hold, as I spend many hours a week in deep water. (Swimming pool, but also metaphorically).

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook