Maintaining healthy weight and stable blood sugar

Stillsmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed 10 weeks ago with steroid induced diabetes so treated as type 2.
Cut out all hidden and obvious sugars and blood sugar level now very good. Lost 8 kilos. BMI now 22!
Been told by practice nurse not to lose any more weight! But how do I manage my blood sugar level ?
Any ideas people ?
Have a great evening !

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cut down on some.of the obvious carbs like potatoes, rice and.pasta.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yup, eat less of the carbs that send blood glucose up, and replace them with more veg, fats and maybe protein, but not too much protein.

Basically replace all those starchy carbs you used to eat with interesting veg, in interesting colours, flavours and textures, and then make them even more interesting by adding herbs, spices, cheese, butter and olive oil. Mayo on salad. That kind of thing. If that doesn't work, then add in a bit of extra protein.

Some people here on the forum have reported that eating nuts as snacks and drinking the odd glass of wine allows them to fine tune their weight control without raising their blood glucose.

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on the low carb and high fat way of life mentioned a lot in this forum and can only lose weight very very slowly. I have cut out all major carbs with the exception of pasta. For this I use gluten free pasta which does not spike my blood sugar as much as standard pasta. I also always make sufficient to freeze to reheat for a second meal. The second pasta meal does not spike my blood sugar at all. I am also milk free for most of the time and only drink black tea. I have found hat I have graduated onto a lot more different vegetables and get most of my carbs from them, squash, turnips, parsnips and sweet potatoes to mention a few. I am very much aware as well from this forum that what works for me may not work for everyone. I go for a walk every day and have recently bought an electric bike to improve my fitness even further. I weigh 68kgs and am 5'7" so I'm still overweight. When I started 18 months ago I was 84kgs. Don't know by BMI. I'm a steroid induced type 2 female. Hope this helps. Good luck. :).

Reactions: Serena51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on the low carb and high fat way of life mentioned a lot in this forum and can only lose weight very very slowly. I have cut out all major carbs with the exception of pasta. For this I use gluten free pasta which does not spike my blood sugar as much as standard pasta. I also always make sufficient to freeze to reheat for a second meal. The second pasta meal does not spike my blood sugar at all. I am also milk free for most of the time and only drink black tea. I have found hat I have graduated onto a lot more different vegetables and get most of my carbs from them, squash, turnips, parsnips and sweet potatoes to mention a few. I am very much aware as well from this forum that what works for me may not work for everyone. I go for a walk every day and have recently bought an electric bike to improve my fitness even further. I weigh 68kgs and am 5'7" so I'm still overweight. When I started 18 months ago I was 84kgs. Don't know by BMI. I'm a steroid induced type 2 female. Hope this helps. Good luck. :).

fine weightloss -.... Still smiling :) welcome
there isn´t hardly anything healthy in pasta..... when not having any milk products you will maybe get low in the very needed calcium that is crucial for your bones and all over in your body, so maybe you do take calsium suplementations with magnesium ...
there are other healthier kinds of "pasta" like zucchini pasta... which also has vitamins and minerals in

Last edited:

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do have the odd latte, probably 2 per week. It's very difficult to put all I eat is one post. I eat two slices of cheddar cheese with my breakfast every morning so I should be ok, but it is a good point. :).

Reactions: Freema

Stillsmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do have the odd latte, probably 2 per week. It's very difficult to put all I eat is one post. I eat two slices of cheddar cheese with my breakfast every morning so I should be ok, but it is a good point. :).

Thank Triffo that's a great idea ! Will give cheese a try

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Morning @Triffo can you say when you reheat the pasta do you boil or use the microwave, and if permitted what brand do you use.

Reactions: Triffo and Freema

Stillsmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Triffo,

Thanks for that great reply.
You have made great progress with your weight ! That is fab!
My diet sounds very similar to your and hardly eat any obvious carbs except whole grain bread.
Maybe I will up the protein and add in the cheese.
Do exercise regularly, Respiratory exercise class and circuits at home.
First day today without steroids, so hope blood sugar all settles down!
Have a great day!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Calcium is actually very available in a well designed low carb diet - and really doesn't need any dairy at all.

Have a look at this link and you will see what I mean:
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20845429,00.html
Leafy greens, oily fish and almonds being excellent sources.

By the way, just wanted to remind people that the original post wasn't about losing weight, it was asking about halting weight loss.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Steroids can be a real problem. If the low-carb diet isn't adequate then do ask the nurse/GP to prescribe Metformin to help a bit with the blood sugar levels.

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Triffo,

Thanks for that great reply.
You have made great progress with your weight ! That is fab!
My diet sounds very similar to your and hardly eat any obvious carbs except whole grain bread.
Maybe I will up the protein and add in the cheese.
Do exercise regularly, Respiratory exercise class and circuits at home.
First day today without steroids, so hope blood sugar all settles down!
Have a great day!

Yes we do seem to be doing the same things even down to the exercise. Please let me know how you get on with your blood sugar now that you are off the steroids. My blood sugar has behaved remarkably well on the very few days when I have forgotten to take my tablets. So hopefully yours will as well. :)

Stillsmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes we do seem to be doing the same things even down to the exercise. Please let me know how you get on with your blood sugar now that you are off the steroids. My blood sugar has behaved remarkably well on the very few days when I have forgotten to take my tablets. So hopefully yours will as well. :)
So far so good Triffo! Off steroids for 4 days now! Due for Hb1ac week after next so we will see what it reads.
Thanks for your help.