Makes sense to me.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First I want to state "There is no evidence to support this idea" I have found articles on line that specifically say this, no evidence, but it makes sense to me.

EMS Electro Muscles Stimulator helps reduce Insulin Resistance IR & helps control Blood Glucose BG.
There are plenty of evidence that exercise reduces IR in muscles which in turn helps reduce BG levels. I like the term Muscle Activation MA so I will be using that from now on, is when you "stress" the muscles into contracting.

EMS stimulates MA so it must have the same result reduced IR & BG. :bookworm:

IF this is true, and it makes sense to me, it could be a particularly useful tool for those who struggle or are unable to exercise. If you can get the same benefit as 20 sit-up by using EMS for half an our while watching Eastenders why are more people not doing it?

I can be the first person to come up with this idea on here has anyone stumbles across supporting evidence in the travels through cyberspace. ;)
:bag:

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I take a medication to stop muscle twitching. I'm stuffed! And it would take more than the chance of reducing muscle IR to force me to watch Eastenders :angelic:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I Have MG EMS for me is not a good idea.

Though may work for others, I don't know.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I can be the first person to come up with this idea on here has anyone stumbles across supporting evidence in the travels through cyberspace.

Certainly no noticeable difference using the EMS machine that you put your feet on. I notice muscle contraction to above the knee and affecting the thighs so maybe not enough muscle being zapped. Also my limited knowledge seems to remember something about different types of muscle.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To reduce IR with exercise it needs HIIT or restiance training using meaningful loads. But any movement can burn up a little BG.

(Remember that when you walk you are lifting yourself up with each step.)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To reduce IR with exercise it needs HIIT or restiance training
You don't need to do HIT to reduce IR .
Although it does have proven effectiveness it is not a necessity, you can improve IR without doing HIT training. (I am on your side and a keen advocate of HIT and its benefits. Just don't agree with you saying "need". Remember we are talking here about the benefits that EMS could provide for people who struggle with energy or ability to exercise.)

Resistance training= "stress the muscles" which means to make them contract. :bookworm:
EMS by definition makes them contract.

Ergo same result at least that's the idea.;)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tend to think that EMS gives no more benifit then standing up every 30 minutes to look out of the window......

Reactions: Serena51

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To reduce IR with exercise it needs HIIT or restiance training using meaningful loads. But any movement can burn up a little BG.

(Remember that when you walk you are lifting yourself up with each step.)
nope, sorry, that is not true.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI @DavidGrahamJones having problems with the quote button even refreshing the pages is not working just now.
"Certainly no noticeable difference using the EMS machine that you put your feet on."

Think were talking about different EMS machines here I'm talking about the pads that can be moved to activate different muscle groups abbs, pecs, arms legs etc... There is a lot of research to show EMS when used in conjunction with regular exercises promotes greater muscle growth than just exercise by itself.

The idea that EMS can help promote muscle growth is not new, muscle growth is associated with reduced IR and BG. Athletes have been doing it for years.
So why not diabetics?;)

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Think were talking about different EMS machines here I'm talking about the pads that can be moved to activate different muscle groups abbs, pecs, arms legs etc...

They do the same thing, although the main use is putting your feet on my machine, there are pads that I can "plug in" and use to place on different muscle groups.

I read somewhere that the Russians have been using it for years and years and if you google "ems machine and insulin resistance" there are several links to research going back to 2005.

Edit: One quote "Results:  The muscle stimulator acutely increased pulse, blood pressure, energy expenditure and glucose uptake. Daily use over 12 weeks improved insulin stimulated nonesterified fatty acid suppression but did not result in changes in body composition or clinical parameters." First published 2004

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if you google "ems machine and insulin resistance" there are several links to research going back to 2005.

I just done this google I came up with (from one study)
Although the muscle stimulator acutely mimics exercise, limitations in the size of the stimulating current mean that the magnitude of these changes is too small to produce clinical benefit.
But getting people to do as little as standup and look out of the window every hour has been proved to have clinical benefits.... (Sorry I can't remember the study ref.)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I kept getting "Server Error" with several of the links, could be my stupid WiFi, but the edit I just made came from another link, so looks like a mixed lot.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But getting people to do as little as standup and look out of the window every hour has been proved to have clinical benefits.... (Sorry I can't remember the study ref.)

I have seen this mentioned on the forums. I think it was in Leicester, and it showed that standing for 5 minutes (not necessarily moving about) after sitting for a period reduced BS levels. I believe it was @DCUKMod that mentioned it. If it does nothing for BS it certainly helps with eye strain problems whilst working at a computer.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it is due to standing making lots of muscle work holding up the person's weight. But a EMS system just gets a little bit of movement, but with no load on the muscles while they move.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Bluetit1802

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you not understand the first sentence in bold writing at the beginning of the post?

First I want to state "There is no evidence to support this idea" I have found articles on line that specifically say this, no evidence.
Is it to much to hope
I guess it was.:meh:

Last edited:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it showed that standing for 5 minutes (not necessarily moving about) after sitting for a period reduced BS levels.

Just as there are many articles stating sitting or lying down and clearing your mind can have great benefit for controlling BG also reducing stress and thus lose weight through lack of cortisone in the system.

But neither are connected to EMS having a beneficial effect on IR :p

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you google "ems machine and insulin resistance"
Thanks for that I have done my own searches but I did throw this in to google and it sent me to "Google Scholar" never seen that before.

The very first article I read concluded:
Electrical muscle contractions improved hepatic steatosis and reduced insulin resistance and serum IL-6 levels in NAFLD patients.

This is the first thing I have read that supports my idea.
Perhaps I should have looked harder. ;)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
This is the first thing I have read that supports my idea.
Perhaps I should have looked harder.

The one I read from 2004 said something similar. It's like a lot of things, there will be different conclusions to similar research. I like the idea because any exercise I do ends in pain, I get muscular spasms in the back from just walking, but I still manage to play golf (badly), and walk (my fit bit says 6,000 steps, short of the 10k, yes).