Mango Smoothie

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Meter no.: 22 I thought it was kind of sweet; treat at the plaza walking; rushed home feeling sick, treating with 6 units insulin
and glyclazide-- that's why glyclazide should not be removed from my regimen, imo.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Meter no.: 22 I thought it was kind of sweet; treat at the plaza walking; rushed home feeling sick, treating with 6 units insulin
and glyclazide-- that's why glyclazide should not be removed from my regimen, imo.
What insulin do you use?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I eat locally grown mangoes I only eat a small half because t will blow my bgl away, I have never tried a fruit / veggie smoothie though.

vz_eliquid_mango_tango.jpg

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What insulin do you use?
Humulin N, as immediate treatment, not excluding the regular evening dose of 40 (sometimes higher) this is advice from my pharmacist, whom I trust.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Most well controlled Type 2 diabetics (in the UK) avoid tropical fruit. Of course that's easier to do if we don't live in the tropics.
I would have a hard time avoiding mangos if I lived in Thailand for example where back in the 1990's I used to eat kilos of them per day!

A fruit smoothie is mashed up fruit and so has a higher GI between that of fruit juice and whole fruit - so why would a Type 2 ever drink one?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Most well controlled Type 2 diabetics (in the UK) avoid tropical fruit. Of course that's easier to do if we don't live in the tropics.
I would have a hard time avoiding mangos if I lived in Thailand for example where back in the 1990's I used to eat kilos of them per day!

A fruit smoothie is mashed up fruit and so has a higher GI between that of fruit juice and whole fruit - so why would a Type 2 ever drink one?
I didn't know. It was incredibly sweet, and only after I measured myself, did I realize that was why I felt so ill. It was delicious though.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Consuming it after being pulverized would mean that the sugar content was easily absorbed.
My daughter loves mango so I either avoid being with her when she has one, or take a tiny piece and slice it very small to eat slowly. It is not that much over the 10 percent limit I set myself, but a whole one blended would be quite a hit of sugars.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only instructions that I got from a GP when diagnosed with diabetes was " lots of fruit and vegetables it not melons or mangos " !!
Carol