Manual Job.

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been approved a grant for an insulin pump due to me getting hypos for abour 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week and lantus can not be reduced anymore.

I have a physical job which includes heavy lifting and walking.

Can someone please explain which insulin pump they found most useful i.e don't get in the way.

I was thinking omnipod but heard that accucheck offer a slightly bet insulin pump but with a wire and was apprehensive the wire would get in my way.

Or are there any others apart from them two which i should consider.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No experience of the Insight pump or any other for that matter, but I've been using the Omnipod pump for just over 2 years now and have to say its an excellent pump, I opted for it because it was a tubeless/patch type pump.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just been approved a grant for an insulin pump due to me getting hypos for abour 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week and lantus can not be reduced anymore.

I have a physical job which includes heavy lifting and walking.

Can someone please explain which insulin pump they found most useful i.e don't get in the way.

I was thinking omnipod but heard that accucheck offer a slightly bet insulin pump but with a wire and was apprehensive the wire would get in my way.

Or are there any others apart from them two which i should consider.

Thanks

I have an Animas Vibe and find it robust. Yes, it has tubing but it sits under my clothes so it's not a problem. I don't have a manual job though so I guess it would depend on what your job involved. I like my pump because I can move it about as required throughout the day.

There are people here who have the Insight and find it ok, but I hated it. It's also had a number of alerts. Only my personal opinion, but I wouldn't recommend it.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Where I live you get no choice. You merely get your pump. I have an animas vibe and I like it. Sure there is tubing and I have had issues but given I don't get a bill at the end of the month I won't complain. It alerts when it only has 20 units of insulin left and you can adjust that. It can be set to alert on battery settings, timing and all sorts. I chose not to use a lot of things but its pretty smart.

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Medtronic 640g and I love it. It also has smartguard which enables the pump to predict future hypos and it will switch itself off for 2 hours and come back on when you sugars are in a safe zone thus preventing hypos. It can do this all while you sleep which means it can prevent hypos completely without your assistance. If your having hypo problems this very well may be something you could be interested in. It has many other functions you may like such as quick bolus which enables you to bolus in your pocket without looking at the screen. I like it because I can turn all the sound of on it but it can also have vibrate and audio alerts. There are many excellent features that all the modern pumps have like bolus wizards etc. Youtube has many videos of people showing their pumps. I guess the best advice is try to look at the features and take people's opinions with a grain of salt as what annoys someone else you may not even notice and vice versa.

Last edited: