mars bar?

autty44

Dislikes
opposite of the above lol
hi, just a quickie question to see if i (type1) could have the odd mars bar as a snack in a week?
thanks
mick

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yes, course you can.. So long as you remember it has 69g carbs in it. :roll:

edit. should read 69g per 100g weight. Cheers Nigel. :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
autty44

When I was diagnosed 27 years ago, the old chap that was the main consultant at my diabetes clinic always recommended eating mars bars when having a hypo. He said that in all the years that he had been a consultant, he must of give this advice to thousands of people and should be given a award by the makers of mars bars.

Regards

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just had a look at mars website.

Each bar contains 43.6g of carbs, and 69.7 per 100g.

Regards

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Nigel

Collins Calorie Counter......Mars Bars. 69g per 100g. weight. (left that out previously.. ) Sorry ! As the normal bars are around 58g weight I think then that makes the actual carb count 40.02g.
(69/100=0.69 x 58 = 40.02) Off the Mars.com webite.

As a snack if you can manage it I suppose ? To me that is way more than any meal I have ! I never touch them. :( I think that I could probably manage one if my Bg was about 4 to start with....I'll test the theory one day ? :wink:

As for Mars Bars as a hypo remedy. That was the 'old' advice. That has now changed and a Choc Bar is not recommended, leastways not by my Endo and many other sources ? What is required if you are having a hypo is fast acting Carbs, such as Lucozade, Coke, Jelly Babies etc. Then when levels are improved have a carby snack to stabilise the levels.
That could mean a Mars Bar I suppose. :lol:

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We were told that a sweet treat is best included as part of or immediately following a meal, that way the treat is diluted with the rest of the meal and the sugar from the treat is absorbed at a slower rate, avoiding a spike in the BG reading. When Jess wants a sweet or chocolate bar we make it her pudding. But I guess if you're treating a hypo then it would be okay, but isn't a whole mars bar too much for a hypo treatment? If you buy the bite size bars they're a nicer size therefore not too many carbs at one go.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
HiSophiaW

I had to help treat a T1 who was having a massive hypo today, almost unconcious. No way could we have got him to chew or even swallow a Mars Bar ?? We had to use Hypostop and massage his gums before he actually came round. THEN after administering a Gluco Tab as well and checking his levels he was given a carby snack, which could have involved a Mars Bar if one was available. It is much too slow acting to be of any use in this situation. He was also very uncooperative and very aggressive. That even with only one leg !!

It is certainly NOT the first thing that you should have when having a hypo. Low (over 4 mmol/l) Bg levels are not a hypo per se ?

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
The fat content in a mars bar slows the absorption of glucose, so in theory a mars bar is not a good idea to treat a hypo, best treated with lucozade, hypo stop, jelly babies ect. Mars bars are best kept for use before long physical activities.
Suzi x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As I say, we are all individual, but I would recommend anybody going hypo to use lucozade, full sugar coke or Hypostop etc.

Regards

Nigel

dot

My son takes a mini mars bar to school with him on PE days. He reckons that is one of the perks - he can legitimately eat chocolate before PE (which he hates!)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would have a square of black chocolate to eliminate any Mars bar caving. I used to love them, but wouldn't dare have one nowadays. Still if you can cut one up into about 8 bits and have no more than 1 bit per day, you might be OK
Hana