Maximum Blood Sugar for someone without diabetes?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i am just wondering what is the absolute maximum blood sugar someone without diabetes should have? I mean highest point at any point in the day?

Hi,

I think it is important to distinguish between an occasional, short duration high peak, and the habitual lasting highs that a diabetic can experience. Also important to distinguish between the peaks that type 2 diabetics on meds or not on meds get, and the peaks that type 1 diabetics get.

As I understand it, if you rocked up to a random blood test at your doctor's surgery, and the results were over 11, they would test for diabetes (by doing an HbA1c test).
If you were under 11 they might also do an HbA1c, to see what was going on, because that 11+ is unlikely to be a one-off.

But in basic terms (because it is really quite complicated) a non-D may get quite high peaks that look out of 'normal' range, but if the blood glucose level comes down quickly, then that is much more 'normal' than for a diabetic where the same high reading may take hours to come down, or may just stay high.

However, I would take the view that true 'normal' isn't anywhere near 11mol/l at any time, and would be interested in finding out what foods were sending my blood glucose above 7mmol/l, and in what portion sizes, and I would be scrutinising the www.bloodsugar101.com website to see the information there, which shows a number of different perspectives, on what 'normal' looks like - and what the consequences of 'above normal' blood glucose could be over time.

Either way, the NHS and I have very different opinions on what healthy blood glucose levels are...

Reactions: Muneeb

Galifrey

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have only experienced in excess of 11 on a few occasions 12 and 12.5

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is normal is an arbitrary definition based on standards that have been revised over time and will likely be revised again in the future.

In this CGM study, 16 of 38 people who are “normal” based on standardized fasting BG and OGTT criteria had blood sugar spikes into pre-diabetic (>140 mg/dL) and some even to diabetic levels (>200 mg/dL). One recommendation of the study’s author is that it might be best for everyone to avoid foods like corn flakes and milk.

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2005143

In this study of normal glycemic people, some people reached peaks of about 150 after a high carb breakfast, but blood sugar stayed under 140 mg/dL for more than 99% if the day, so the peaks must have been quite short.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769652/

As more studies are done with more accurate CGMs like the Dexcom G6, the should be better info that emerges as to what is truly normal.

Personally I believe a person with truly healthy glycemic control would rarely see blood sugar over 120 at peak even after a very high carb meal and would normally see blood sugar back well below 100 at 2 hours.

Truly healthy would be at levels not causing any arterial damage.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have made a range of remarks in this, so I've felt the need to break them down and respond.

Well everyone are different. I for once do not feel any different if my blood sugar are 10-14 mmor or 6-7 mmol. I have several times checked my blood sugar, thinking it were low or normal and seen numbers up to 14 mmol.

Getting blood sugar over 16 mmol however makes me feel ******, so everyone are different there.

Yes, everyone is different. But you only feel that way because your body has adjusted to your levels being relatively high, that doesn’t mean that is normal. You may get false hypo symptoms from this as well as being ‘ok’ with highs.

When you say «Gp's information must be backed up by some evidence or study of some sort, none of which I have seen.» I have to ask, have you ever study medicine? Most of the curriculum for this study, and litterature on the subject have a consensus that blood sugar up to 11.1 mmol after something with high GI (glycemic index) are normal even for non diabetics. There is plenty of evidence to back it up if you read the correct litterature or books :)

I haven’t studied medicine, but by what you are saying for somebody to have knowledge of something medical related they must study medicine? People on this forum have much more knowledge than GP’s, but their knowledge doesn’t mean anything because they haven’t studied medicine? Medicine itself is much more than teaching about diabetes, living with the disease and having an obsession to make your life better, can’t be taught, I read a lot about diabetes as a passion. From what you are saying you seem to have studied it, but don’t seem to know the basics. I don’t believe that is the general consensus, and if you have read literature or papers showing evidence, please provide some links to enlighten me.

I also learn a lot form Dr Bernstein, who is one of the most renowned in diabetes management, and obtaining normalised glucose levels. Not mediocre standards, true non-diabetic levels. Dr Bernstein was met with comments exactly like this, having normalized his glucose levels to non-diabetic levels and reversing complications 'experts' thought were not possible, his experience and knowledge had no value as he didn't have the piece of paper to say he studied medicine. So at 45 years old he studied medicine ad started working in the field, did he change what he had been doing beforehand? No, he built upon it, so his knowledge was still there. He had a lot of pushback because his methods would cause financial loss to major firms.

Post meal and after eating are very different. Post meal are before eating, and would most likely be much lower in non diabetics if they havn’t eaten in a while. After eating however, are when the blood sugar breaks down the glucose, causing a temporary raise, hitting the peak 30-60 min after eating. And it is this peak I mean can hit 10-11 mmol in non diabetics when ingesting something with high GI.

Post meal and after eating are exactly the same thing. Before eating would be pre-meal. Just as in post prandial glucose levels are levels after eating. Dr Bernstein has mentioned many times, when he sees patients with 200 md/dL at any point, even a couple of times per month he would treat them as early diabetics. 10-11 mmol/L after meals is not normal levels.

I thought that maybe this was information all diabtics got from their diabetic nurse or gp at diagnosis. But it might be different practice from different countries.

Also I’ve tested a lot of my friend who are non diabetic, and well blood sugar over 9 mmol are very common if tested at the correct time, after eating or drinking something with much carb.

They may want to get tested for early or pre-diabetes, if that’s the case often.

But if you’re able to keep your blood sugar between 4-7 mmol 80% of the time, I have to say you’re doing a pretty good job. Because that is hard and much work when being a type 1 diabetic :) And I think that might be the reason for you feeling bad with 10-11 mmol, because you’re used to stay pretty low (I mean low in diabetic terms).

Its good control, still not non-diabetic levels and I don’t achieve this by advocating mediocre control or believing 10-11 after meals is ‘normal’. To be able to better my diabetes management I have to know what the true non-diabetic levels are. There has been many studies which show the normal hba1c is around 83 mg/dL (~4.6mmol/L) and this is in adults with children slightly lower, and this is definitely not achieved by having ‘normal’ peaks after meals of 10-11. The J curve which has been shown by a number of studies (which I’m sure you are aware of, being a medical student) shows that the mortality rate increases both above and below the normal level of 83 mg/dL. If you are happy with your control or wish to manage your diabetes knowing the risks, then that’s your choice. But you can’t push stuff as being normal, when it is not. People need to understand what normal or true- nondiabetic numbers are to be able to strive towards it.

Bottom line, all the litterature I’ve read, and from my GP my understanding were that blood sugar up to 11 are not uncommon for non diabetics. But I mean as a peak, it should of course go down, and be under 7.8 mmol after 2 hours, and less than 6 mmol at the 3 hours mark :)

As above, please provide links to some of this literature. I don’t take what GP’s say as gospel, as the err on the side of caution. The reason the hba1c target is less than 7% is to ensure they don’t get sued for deaths by hypoglycaemia, not because they know that as ood control. Doctors have been pushing many things over the years as normal, which clearly have not been the case (prime example of high carb). Again 11 is not ‘normal’ levels for non-diabetics. I’m sure you have heard of Dr Bernstein being a medical student, but I suggest you read his book.

Sorry for the long post, but people can't achieve good/non-diabetic control if they want, without knowing what the true base conditions are. Dr Bernstein is a perfect advocate of this and his book is a must read, regardless of low carb or not.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
What is normal is an arbitrary definition based on standards that have been revised over time and will likely be revised again in the future.

In this CGM study, 16 of 38 people who are “normal” based on standardized fasting BG and OGTT criteria had blood sugar spikes into pre-diabetic (>140 mg/dL) and some even to diabetic levels (>200 mg/dL). One recommendation of the study’s author is that it might be best for everyone to avoid foods like corn flakes and milk.

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2005143

In this study of normal glycemic people, some people reached peaks of about 150 after a high carb breakfast, but blood sugar stayed under 140 mg/dL for more than 99% if the day, so the peaks must have been quite short.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769652/

As more studies are done with more accurate CGMs like the Dexcom G6, the should be better info that emerges as to what is truly normal.

Personally I believe a person with truly healthy glycemic control would rarely see blood sugar over 120 at peak even after a very high carb meal and would normally see blood sugar back well below 100 at 2 hours.

Truly healthy would be at levels not causing any arterial damage.
@Sapien - this is a very helpful contribution - your comments about my situation would be appreciated. From my own testing over a few years mean averaging - I have noticed that being 'naughty' the previous day from after lunch which is my main meal - will be proven by my pre-lunch testing the following day. BUT I have been able to show consistent readings within 6-7 mml
(108-126 mg/dl) and only once have I achieved 5.6 mml (100 mg/dl) in all that time. But those readings are at that time and I take up to 4 hours to come down after meals most of the time. My concerns have always been because of the One Touch Ultra advertisement on their meter showing '5.4' as being normal. I have only achieved this success (I think) during the past three years going to low-carb. Diabetes has done its worst for me giving me Congestive Heart Failure long before diagnosis and subsequently extreme Diabetic Neuropathy. We have no experts in S/E Asia so this is why I am asking you for your opinion - readings between 6-7 mml appear to be normal for me - what do you say? Thanking you in advance.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I actually had a meter and tested off and on before I was a diabetic or even close to being a diabetic. My fasting level first thing in the morning was always 5.6-5.7 (100-102). My after meal level would go up to around 7.5 (135), but drop back down to 5.6 (100) within 2 hours. I don't have a clue what my A1C was as they didn't test it until years and years later when I started having issues. I caught my blood sugar when it first started fluctuating and I woke up to a couple of 6's (108's) and panicked and went into the doctor immediately. Of course they ignored my concern as I wasn't that high yet. But I knew I had had an uncle that had type 1 and I was concerned and it turned out I was right.

I do stay under 7.8 (140) 96-99% of the time.