Maybe - just maybe I'll get tested

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you ever tried going to reception and saying, “I need an a1c and a thyroid panel, can you book that please?” The receptionist might just put it through without thinking...
The receptionist at my gp surgery can't do the referrals for blood tests. The practice nurse can't either, it has to be a GP. I have suggested to the practice manager that the receptionist should be able to, to save gp time, but they won't do that.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After waiting to get through the system, I asked for my test results - told everything is fine - but what is my Hba1c I cry.
The answer was 42.
So - I find myself not really believing what I was told.
I do have an appointment at the end of next week, to speak to a nurse, so I'll just wait until then.

Reactions: Prem51

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The receptionist at my gp surgery can't do the referrals for blood tests. The practice nurse can't either, it has to be a GP. I have suggested to the practice manager that the receptionist should be able to, to save gp time, but they won't do that.
same here. Even my own GP, when recently asked, refused to do a Vitamin D or B12 test along with my next HbA1c in a months time. I cant even get a cholesterol breakdown test for another 7 months at least, even though my DN wants one for me. Its a nightmare. And the lovely phlebotomist has now said she isnt allowed to add a private phial of blood for me to do it myself by mail order. I cant afford a private blood draw, so am completely stuck.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Whoa. I just realised how incredibly lucky I am with my diabetes team. I have gotten away with walking into the phlebotomy bay and asking for a Ca/K blood test. They said get a doc to sign off, I stuck the clipboard under the nose of a doc walking past (OK, he did know me, I wasn't a random stranger), and tah-dah one blood test.

Hearing that some of you are struggling to 'qualify' for even a lipid panel or U&Es is shocking.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And the lovely phlebotomist has now said she isnt allowed to add a private phial of blood for me to do it myself by mail order. I cant afford a private blood draw, so am completely stuck.

I had the same problem when I wanted to do a Medichecks test. I took all the stuff with me, the vial, the bits and bobs, and the instructions and information from Medicare. It wasn't a phlebotomist, it was my regular and lovely nurse. She would have done it, but went away to check if she could. In the end she had been told no. It was breaking the insurance rules should something go wrong. She rooted about and found me a local private GP who she said would do it for me. I didn't have chance to follow that up because I had a funny turn a few days later and ended up in hospital. It was then Christmas and by New Year I had lost the motivation to do it.

I should add that I have no trouble getting any normal test I ask for at the surgery, all the cholesterol, liver, kidney and full blood counts are routine anyway, but if I want extra tests for vitamins and minerals, I get them.

Reactions: lucylocket61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same problem when I wanted to do a Medichecks test. I took all the stuff with me, the vial, the bits and bobs, and the instructions and information from Medicare. It wasn't a phlebotomist, it was my regular and lovely nurse. She would have done it, but went away to check if she could. In the end she had been told no. It was breaking the insurance rules should something go wrong. She rooted about and found me a local private GP who she said would do it for me. I didn't have chance to follow that up because I had a funny turn a few days later and ended up in hospital. It was then Christmas and by New Year I had lost the motivation to do it.

I should add that I have no trouble getting any normal test I ask for at the surgery, all the cholesterol, liver, kidney and full blood counts are routine anyway, but if I want extra tests for vitamins and minerals, I get them.
Yes, i think it may be an insurance issue. I cant afford the tests and the private phlebotomist, so will wing it and hope for the best.