Mcdonald's and T2s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Carb creep is a slippery slope. Getting cocky won't last long when blood sugars slide back up again. Thing is, just keep yourself mindful of what works for you in the long run, and what doesn't. A one-off over Christmas and such, or when needs must, whatever.... But once it's a regular occurrence, it can be problematic. Right now, you've gained ground and your reaction to the meal proved it has been working indeed. That means you're on the right track, and would do well to keep it up. ;)
Nice post thank you for those words. Very true and very good advice. Thanks

• Winner
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry I dont know what you mean?
You indicate that the numbers after eating your MacD's indicated pre-diabetes. Whilst you may be in pre-diabetes, perhaps even lower, or perhaps still in the T2 diagnostic ranges, all that your numbers after your MacD meal indicate is how that meal went for you. You might even find very different numbers if you repeated the exercise.

Snapshots are just that.

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Blow out yesterday, on the way home Cheese & Ham Toastie from Pret Manger, 50g Carb at 4:30pm, 5pm McDonalds Tripple Cheese burger and a Big Mac, but no fries.

2hr 15 min reading 7.2, 3hr 7.0 and 4 hr 5.7.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not good I know... I find it hard to be disciplined all the time. Maybe I'm not eating enough at lunch then blowing out on my way home.

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insincerity, mediocrity, politics
Two things I have to say about Mc Donalds
1. When I worked there we called toasting the buns "caramelising". The extra sugar in the bread goes hard so the sauce doesn't go into the 'bread'. :***:
2. If bacteria won't eat it is it food ? .:dead: , type in decomposition of Mcd into you tube . The fries never die. !!

I say this not in judgement, as I worked and lived on it for years. But I really would like everyone to look after themselves a little better.

When the kids asked me if they can have McD like their friends. I would say , "why you haven't done anything wrong" .:oops:

This said still get coffee from the drive through and the odd grilled wrap of the day , but throw most of the wrap.
I steer more towards grilled meat at the kebab shop or scotch eggs and cooked meat from super market .

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not good I know... I find it hard to be disciplined all the time. Maybe I'm not eating enough at lunch then blowing out on my way home.
It's a genuine question - are you hungry? are there no other alternatives? is it an experiment, or are you telling yourself that?

You've done so well, and yet you're sabotaging yourself - that's how it looks to me.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's a genuine question - are you hungry? are there no other alternatives? is it an experiment, or are you telling yourself that?

You've done so well, and yet you're sabotaging yourself - that's how it looks to me.
You are correct mate. I have a perfect weekend of 4s 5s 6s then I usually go sabotage mode. I need to control this and save these for Xmas etc..

When I go on these benders I am usually v hungry so I need to make wiser choices.

The element of experimenting has a bit to do with it to see how my body will react to my old ways prior March 2023 which was normal for me to eat like this. I need to stop. These days my body handles it better but I can't be slipping as the next Hba1c in Nov will be dire. I apreciate your advice for someone who's been in remission for years now. I'm only 3 months in and loosing discipline.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried testing at 1 hour, it maybe that you are in double figures and seeing that might motivate you stop the self sabotage. If you really can’t avoid the Maccie Ds then take the temptation out at source and order you food without a bun and a side salad instead of fries, order 2 if you have to to fill you up. if you don’t buy the carbs you can’t eat the carbs :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried testing at 1 hour, it maybe that you are in double figures and seeing that might motivate you stop the self sabotage. If you really can’t avoid the Maccie Ds then take the temptation out at source and order you food without a bun and a side salad instead of fries, order 2 if you have to to fill you up. if you don’t buy the carbs you can’t eat the carbs :)
Not tested Mac Ds at 1hr mark. Usually on the train home then from London to my home town outside. But good advice I need to eliminate. The first two months I did v well with the diet hence the Hba1c went from 82 to 30. Third month June I have been dipping in/out my old ways.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We’ve all been there at one time, it’s why I don’t do cheat meals- they trigger me, I can have the food around me in the house, other people eating it in front of me and not be bothered by it, but taste it and I’m off down a rabbit hole. I had issues around food in my younger days so don’t want to trigger that either. Believe me in 14 years in 13 of them on low carb and keto and I still crave carbs 3 days out of 7. I’ve just trained myself that I like other food better.

If you’re hungry because you’re travelling home etc try making up a little snack box for on the train, a few nuts, mini pepperoni, cut up some celery, cucumber and peppers into sticks, bags of pork scratchings, baby bel cheese, even a couple of squares of 85% chocolate anything that doesn’t need to be in a fridge. If you have a fridge you can store it in at work then you can expand your snack box even more.

In the early days I always had mini pepperoni, a small bar of dark choc and some macadamia nuts in my handbag so if I ever felt like I was going to eat something I shouldn’t I had both savoury and sweet something to keep me on track

Reactions: jomar_uk and 0110

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I used to get very tempted, less nowadays.
If this is when you are too hungry then I suggest you eat more fat in the previous meal or take healthier snacks with you. I tend to take a packet of Cheesies if I'm travelling then buy a sandwich and eat the filling.
I have got a lot more confident in ordering where they make up the food for you instead of prewrapped food. No bun, no bread, hold the fries, ask for a substitute eg salad.
My best success was asking for the toppings from a pizza without the base in a hotel, after the server consulted the chef I was given several little oven dishes, each topped with melted cheese. Single dishes of bacon, mushrooms, chicken, green peppers, olives, and very generous amounts.