Mcdonald's and T2s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Anyone have any experiences? It certainly spiked my sugar levels last night. Two burgers and half portion of fries. 2hr reading 8.6. Then in the 6s in the 3rd and 4th hour.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I must say for eating McDonalds those numbers aren’t to bad.
OMG please don't say that .. That was twice a week before my diagnosis. So quarter pounder with cheese, and a big mac and a half packet of fries. One hour before Greek yogurt and blueberries and half hour before that loads of peanut butter and nuts. Anyway I went rogue yesterday I think due to persistent 4s and 5s readings all weekend I was good. 1 hr reading after Macs 9.8, 2hr 8.6 then 6s in hour 3 and 4. Definitely not doing that again today.

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a daughter with very narrow eating. McD's fries are one of the few hot foods we can get her to eat. As a result, it's often where we end up halfway through a long car journey. Now I'm T2D, there's very little to go for on the menu. I think it's going to be a cup of coffee and if I'm really desperate - a bacon and chicken salad (hold the dressing).
In terms of carbs - the breakfast muffins seem to have less carbs than the burger buns and wraps, but it's still 27g per muffin. If I'm going to blow my carbs for the day, I'd sooner KFC personally.

Reactions: MissMuffett

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Anyone have any experiences? It certainly spiked my sugar levels last night. Two burgers and half portion of fries. 2hr reading 8.6. Then in the 6s in the 3rd and 4th hour.
I guess the 8.6 is pretty clear evidence that what you ate is too much for your system.

The bread and fries are the main issue for me. The meat patty and cheese not so much. I have had no BG rise problem when no bun, no fries. I have to say though that that's only when there is literally nothing else available - eg 3am in an airport. For preference though, if you're going to have a burger, at least have a decent one.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a rarity for me to eat this kind of thing but last time I had a McDonald’s about 6 months ago it’s very easy to get a burger no bun and replace the fries with a salad, - especially now you can order from those screens inside. It’s not my food of choice but my food of necessity (travelling and forgot my pack up ) If you go to the McDonald’s site there is a nifty little page where you can add and take away items and it gives you the full nutrition count so you can work out your food beforehand.
For example a Big Tasty is 47g carb per portion - take out the bun and it’s 7.2g carb

I think it’s worth a looking at all fast food chain websites nutrition pages, it can be surprising and quite shocking what has carbs and how many, it can help you stay on the straight and narrow imho

Reactions: MommaE

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

What medication are you on?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I don't know whether you order at a pole or not, but I usually order a burger of any kind, without the bun. No problem whatsoever with blood sugars. Sometimes I get a stack of 5 patties, sometimes I get them individually wrapped, but even if the servers are amused, no-one's ever given me any trouble. I love their Double McTasty with Bacon, works just fine without bread too. The burger patties stay jucier when there's none. In the Netherlands I can also opt for a very nice side salad with a vinaigrette, (the "proper" salads are often carby), the espresso is good, they've got water, so.... I can and do eat at McD's, without spiking blood sugars. Though considering what you had, I'm a bit surprised you didn't go over into double digits, and stayed under nine!

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think you have to knock on the head unless an emergency and sugars and worryingly on low side. It’s the bread that spikes you.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a daughter with very narrow eating. McD's fries are one of the few hot foods we can get her to eat. As a result, it's often where we end up halfway through a long car journey. Now I'm T2D, there's very little to go for on the menu. I think it's going to be a cup of coffee and if I'm really desperate - a bacon and chicken salad (hold the dressing).
In terms of carbs - the breakfast muffins seem to have less carbs than the burger buns and wraps, but it's still 27g per muffin. If I'm going to blow my carbs for the day, I'd sooner KFC personally.
Ask if you can have just the burger patties as you have allergies :p

Reactions: Mr Hairyman

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditch the burgerbuns and the muffins. I've had an excellent breakfast of eggs, bacon and sausage patty's, no actual muffins included. ;)

D

Deleted member 574368

Don't they offer things on the breakfast menu that don't have bread or potatoes?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't know whether you order at a pole or not, but I usually order a burger of any kind, without the bun. No problem whatsoever with blood sugars. Sometimes I get a stack of 5 patties, sometimes I get them individually wrapped, but even if the servers are amused, no-one's ever given me any trouble. I love their Double McTasty with Bacon, works just fine without bread too. The burger patties stay jucier when there's none. In the Netherlands I can also opt for a very nice side salad with a vinaigrette, (the "proper" salads are often carby), the espresso is good, they've got water, so.... I can and do eat at McD's, without spiking blood sugars. Though considering what you had, I'm a bit surprised you didn't go over into double digits, and stayed under nine!
Hi Jo, I may try that just order the beef patties. Or I might have half a bun and stack up 2-4 patties in there. Lets see. But this suggests to me pre-diebetes numbers after 2 burgers and fries -1 hr reading 9.8, 2hr 8.6 then 6s in hour 3 and 4.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo, I may try that just order the beef patties. Or I might have half a bun and stack up 2-4 patties in there. Lets see. But this suggests to me pre-diebetes numbers after 2 burgers and fries -1 hr reading 9.8, 2hr 8.6 then 6s in hour 3 and 4.
Those numbers aren't half bad, (pretty good actually) expecially considering the bread: I wouldn't have a prayer, as buns toss me into the 20's. But if you're still hungry afterwards, as I think I might've been, try finding a configuration that gets you enough food to kill the hunger, and doesn't spike anything. You already know what you're doing, but just in case someone reads along who responds more diabetically than prediabetially, so to speak. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Those numbers aren't half bad, (pretty good actually) expecially considering the bread: I wouldn't have a prayer, as buns toss me into the 20's. But if you're still hungry afterwards, as I think I might've been, try finding a configuration that gets you enough food to kill the hunger, and doesn't spike anything. You already know what you're doing, but just in case someone reads along who responds more diabetically than prediabetially, so to speak. :)
This is it, I am getting more and more cocky...This was the type of food which got me a HBAC1 OF 82 in the first place, usually I would have a full fat vanilla milk shake with this as well and a few choclates when I arived home. I need to stay grounded and make wiser choices. On the weekend both days my finger prick no's were 4s & 5s. So Monday (yesterday) I felt cheeky, Recently I have been experimenting alot, the weight loss and the low AC1 made me like this. But today back on the grind, around 20g Carbs only for the whole day.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt very much a single reading from any given meal indicates anything other than what your meter said in the moment.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is it, I am getting more and more cocky...This was the type of food which got me a HBAC1 OF 82 in the first place, usually I would have a full fat vanilla milk shake with this as well and a few choclates when I arived home. I need to stay grounded and make wiser choices. On the weekend both days my finger prick no's were 4s & 5s. So Monday (yesterday) I felt cheeky, Recently I have been experimenting alot, the weight loss and the low AC1 made me like this. But today back on the grind, around 20g Carbs only for the whole day.
Carb creep is a slippery slope. Getting cocky won't last long when blood sugars slide back up again. Thing is, just keep yourself mindful of what works for you in the long run, and what doesn't. A one-off over Christmas and such, or when needs must, whatever.... But once it's a regular occurrence, it can be problematic. Right now, you've gained ground and your reaction to the meal proved it has been working indeed. That means you're on the right track, and would do well to keep it up. ;)