1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Me again

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by ExChocoholic, Mar 6, 2020.

1. ExChocoholic

ExChocoholic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You may recall I've been in hospital with a particularly nasty kidney infection and hospital put me on insulin as BS high. First off they went down to 10 - fasting - not great but better than original 15 +. Suddenly they are shooting up again. I had 9 yesterday morning but 17.5 last evening before 2nd insulin shot and I ate was 2 weetabix and a few raspberries, I small slice of low carb bread with melted cheese. Now this morning back at 17.5 and I wonder if I'm doing my insulin shot properly - I know it sounds crazy but it's like I'm not on insulin. It is novomix 30 I started at 6 in morning and 10 evening I've upped that to 8 and 12. My daughter also T2 thinks it might be infection.

2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

Could be the infection, could be a bunch of other things. Weetabix is very high in carbs, did you know that and adjust insulin accordingly? (Because you did have low carb bread after, I can't help but wonder whether you knew weetabix was seriously high...) Might be a good idea to check what your meals are carb-wise, check whether they're high low or moderate, and keep an eye on your blood sugars.... If they're that bad and you can't get them under control, you might want to call 111 for help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ExChocoholic

ExChocoholic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Weetabix is very high in carbs, did you know that and adjust insulin accordingly? (Because you did have low carb bread after, I can't help but wonder whether you

No I didn't check. It was what they gave me hospital, so maybe back to porridge.

4. Member496333

Member496333 · Guest

If Weetabix is causing issues then I'd be surprised if porridge is much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook