Meat

ghost_whistler

Seems that meat is a dominant component of a LCHF diet. Not exclusively, there are some vegeterians i gather.

My question is, do we know that eating a high/higher amount of meat is healthy?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's going to depend on the meat. In my case, I didn't increase the amount of meat I ate as such, it remained similar, while the overall calories and carbs got slashed. I think that might be the case for many. I strongly expect that the overall nutritional balance will be the key, and the components themselves-meat or vegetarian- only matter in so far as they deliver nutrients.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Seems that meat is a dominant component of a LCHF diet. Not exclusively, there are some vegeterians i gather.

Yes, I agree that meat dominates your diet if you are not vegan.
However, as it has been said, it's about portion control as well.
If you put intermittent fasting in the mix, the amount of food you consume drastically reduces.
Getting the balance between protein, vegetables and carbs is so important to your health!
It's surprising how much we don't need to eat!

Best wishes

Hotpepper20000

For me meat is not the main component of how I eat.
I eat a large a variety of above ground vegtables ,a variety of dairy, and fish.

B

badcat

I dont think eating loads of meat is healthy. I eat some meat but simply do not like the taste of most meat or the ways in which it is produced - when i do eat meat it'll usually be an organic steak or occasionally organic unsalted free range bacon
There are plenty of other ways to get fats on LCHF - avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs, cream, coconut oil, nut butters mayonnaise, butter, cheese oily fish etc, although it is much harder for vegans
If you look on sites like diet doctor then you will find vegetarian LCHF meal plans

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Struma

ghost_whistler

Unfortunately seafood of any quality is significantly dearer than meat.

I take an omega 3supplement.

But do we have any idea how much meat is a problem? I must be eating about 200g per meal (600g a day). A lot more than before, largely in place of bread/wheat

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
600g is a lot. I haven't increased the amount of meat I eat but I do eat more eggs, nuts and cheese and veg.

Reactions: Lamont D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Because mankind thrived on it for a few hundred thousand years before we started farming? We didn't die out then...
And yes I know we were hunter gatherers but how long was fruit and veg in season ? More likely that we ate the plentiful animals that surrounded us.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure what 200g of meat really looks like, but I usually have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, and they keep me full till lunch, and then lunch and dinner will be something with meat, but bulked out with a lot of veg. Like I'll have steak cut into little cubes and have that stir-fried with cauliflower and onions and gravy, and then the cauliflower tastes nice and meat like, but I haven't actually used all that much meat. Could something like that help you reduce the meat portion?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat less meat than I used to do; almost every evening meal is vegetarian with either plant-proteins like beans, lentils or eggs added to the meal. Or I drink a protein shake (without any added sugar)

I love fish as well .. I used to love seafood but have unfortunately become allergic to it, miss that really a lot... I don´t think it is that expensive , there is so much don´t buy anylonger like candy and cakes and lots of others stuff , chips and so on so to pay a little more for fish and f.x. seafood is not something that would bankrupt me

in the mornings I eat a high protein islandic milk-product skir/skyr it is called in danish

my fats are coconut oil, nuts and cream and what is in the cheese I also eat a lot of

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But do we have any idea how much meat is a problem? I must be eating about 200g per meal (600g a day). A lot more than before, largely in place of bread/wheat

That seems an awful lot to me. I have fillet steak once a week (about 130g uncooked), chicken or lamb once a week, lambs liver once a week, bacon (2 or 3 rashers) and/or 1 or occasionally 2 97% meat sausages 3 or 4 times a week. Otherwise it is fish, salmon and eggs. I make sure I have a minimum of 3 salmon meals plus one haddock meal, and I take milled flaxseed every day. Plus dairy and vegetables, not forgetting Lidl high protein rolls. These are divided between lunch and evening meal as I don't have breakfasts. I avoid vegetable oils.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Meat....nom, nom, nom, nom...........

Sorry, what was the question again?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure what 200g of meat really looks like, but I usually have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, and they keep me full till lunch, and then lunch and dinner will be something with meat, but bulked out with a lot of veg. Like I'll have steak cut into little cubes and have that stir-fried with cauliflower and onions and gravy, and then the cauliflower tastes nice and meat like, but I haven't actually used all that much meat. Could something like that help you reduce the meat portion?
It looks like 7 oz. of meat. so just short of a half pound burger or a whole chicken breast, two thighs. This three times a day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The general recommendation for lchf is for normal amounts of protein, lower carb and more fat to compensate.
There is absolutely no need to eat as much as 600g of meat a day on lchf, and for some of us that amount of gluconeogenesis would be problematic.
If price is a concern, vegetables are much cheaper than meat or fish, gram for gram.

Some people like the idea of eating huge amounts of meat. I don't, and my body doesn't like it either, so i happily fill a plate with 3/4 low carb veg, less than a 1/4 of the plate as protein, and have some butter on the veg.

Even the Diet Doctor menus have more protein than i like, so i skip the protein breakfasts and sometimes reduce the portions in the other meals.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ghost_whistler

You also have been given a lot of info in your previous threads, which discuss protein and other aspects of macro balencing on lchf. Now that you have been on lchf for a while, you may find re-reading these posts very useful.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/protein-requirement.118328/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/30g-protein-meal.117123/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/constipation.116366/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-much-veg.115678/

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you get that idea? LCHF is a low carb, moderate protein, and high(er) fat diet.

So in my diet it certainly isn't a dominant component - and I believe it doesn't have to be either! I get my protein from a variety sources as well as meat: fish, poultry, dairy, eggs, nuts & seeds... My main energy source comes from fats instead of carbs now and as I understand it in LCHF, these should be a balancing act - i.e. less carbs, more fat on either side of a stable protein pivot.

However for some people, e.g.@NoCrbs4me, it's a personal choice to eat mainly neat and fat in a very low - almost no - carb diet.

Robbity

Last edited:
Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

ghost_whistler

That seems an awful lot to me. I have fillet steak once a week (about 130g uncooked), chicken or lamb once a week, lambs liver once a week, bacon (2 or 3 rashers) and/or 1 or occasionally 2 97% meat sausages 3 or 4 times a week. Otherwise it is fish, salmon and eggs. I make sure I have a minimum of 3 salmon meals plus one haddock meal, and I take milled flaxseed every day. Plus dairy and vegetables, not forgetting Lidl high protein rolls. These are divided between lunch and evening meal as I don't have breakfasts. I avoid vegetable oils.
I eat because I'm hungry,

ghost_whistler

@ghost_whistler

You also have been given a lot of info in your previous threads, which discuss protein and other aspects of macro balencing on lchf. Now that you have been on lchf for a while, you may find re-reading these posts very useful.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/protein-requirement.118328/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/30g-protein-meal.117123/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/constipation.116366/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-much-veg.115678/

How does this address whether eating meat is healthy?

ghost_whistler

Where did you get that idea? LCHF is a low carb, moderate protein, and high(er) fat diet.

So in my diet it certainly isn't a dominant component - and I believe it doesn't have to be either! I get my protein from a variety sources as well as meat: fish, poultry, dairy, eggs, nuts & seeds... My main energy source comes from fats instead of carbs now and as I understand it in LCHF, these should be a balancing act - i.e. less carbs, more fat on either side of a stable protein pivot.

However some people,e.g.@NoCrbs4Me, it's a personal choice to eat mainly neat and fat in a very low - almost no - carb diet.

Robbity

Moderate protein, acording to Dr Phinney, can be anything from 1-2g protein/kg LBM.

My question pertains to whether meat eating is healthy. Fats are discussed, but what about meat?