Meaty May - for those with carnivorous tendencies

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Goonergal . No need to apologise for taking time to reply. Family time is very important.
I won't be joining the meat fest, even though it seems something that would be feasting on favourite food, I need my veg, but hope everyone participating enjoys, and gets the results they are looking for.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK folks, I need a group carnivore consult here. :D The outcome will decide whether I join you all for Meaty May.

Following several years of zero interest in Frankenfoods and processed food carb replacements, I recently placed an order for some Dr Almond bread mixes in order to make Mr B's life a little more interesting. Mission accomplished, and he enjoys them. I can happily ignore the bread, but... a profiterole packet accidentally fell into my Basket. Odd how that happens. And the results are amazing - and obviously not carnivore.

With perfect honesty, I am NOT going to stop eating them until they are gone, which will be well into May. The second half of the pack made 27 profiteroles, and at 2 a day, they will delight me for the next 2 weeks.

So my question is, what level of meat eating and non-meat eating are we thinking can be described as carnivore? 98%? 90%? 95%? I'm confident that I hit 95% animal products, including dairy.

As an example:
On a typical day, I eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream, one cup of roast chicory and 2 squares of 70+% choc.
With that intake, I am happy identifying myself as a carnivore. I particularly dislike food one upmanship where people are dismissed as 'dirty carnivore' or 'not really c' because they drink coffee, or eat a garnish.
It is a kind of food elitism that I abhore.

However, when I add in 2 low carb profiteroles daily, do I step outside the carni tolerance? It feels to me as though I do.

For info: the pack says 1.8g carbs per 100g in the finished profiteroles.
My portion is 2 profiteroles, at a total of 17g for the pair. That makes an absurdly insignificant portion of carbs (0.3g carbs). Far less than a slice of LC bread.
The filling is whipped double cream, and the choc sauce is those 2 squares of choc I always have, but this time they have been melted and stirred into double cream to make a non-sweet chocolate cream sauce.

So my query isn't about the carb load (adding 0.3g carbs a day is insignificant), but more the fact that I am cheerfully embracing a luxuriously choccy cream dessert on a daily basis, loving it, and feeling that it isn't in the spirit of carnivory.

Your thoughts?

(by the way, here is a pic of the little darlings.
What have you eaten today?
I have made it a link rather that embedding the photo in order give you all the option NOT to click)

Reactions: Chook

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK folks, I need a group carnivore consult here. :D The outcome will decide whether I join you all for Meaty May.

Following several years of zero interest in Frankenfoods and processed food carb replacements, I recently placed an order for some Dr Almond bread mixes in order to make Mr B's life a little more interesting. Mission accomplished, and he enjoys them. I can happily ignore the bread, but... a profiterole packet accidentally fell into my Basket. Odd how that happens. And the results are amazing - and obviously not carnivore.

With perfect honesty, I am NOT going to stop eating them until they are gone, which will be well into May. The second half of the pack made 27 profiteroles, and at 2 a day, they will delight me for the next 2 weeks.

So my question is, what level of meat eating and non-meat eating are we thinking can be described as carnivore? 98%? 90%? 95%? I'm confident that I hit 95% animal products, including dairy.

As an example:
On a typical day, I eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream, one cup of roast chicory and 2 squares of 70+% choc.
With that intake, I am happy identifying myself as a carnivore. I particularly dislike food one upmanship where people are dismissed as 'dirty carnivore' or 'not really c' because they drink coffee, or eat a garnish.

However, when I add in 2 low carb profiteroles daily, do I step outside the carni tolerance? It feels to me as though I do.

My portion is 2 profiteroles, at a total of 17g for the pair. That makes an absurdly insignificant portion of carbs (0.3g carbs). Far less than a slice of LC bread.
The filling is whipped double cream, and the choc sauce is those 2 squares of choc I always have, but this time they have been melted and stirred into double cream to make a non-sweet chocolate cream sauce.

So my query isn't about the carb load (adding 0.3g carbs a day is insignificant), but more the fact that I am cheerfully embracing a luxuriously choccy cream dessert on a daily basis, loving it, and feeling that it isn't in the spirit of carnivory.

Your thoughts?

I have made it a link rather that embedding the photo in order give you all the option NOT to click)

My thoughts are...they look lush and I admire your level of constraint, I’d eat the lot.
My next one is...join in with us, we can all post up what we’ve eaten daily if we choose and no doubt non C stuff will creep in, especially if my darling grandchildren insist on eating salted nuts of all kinds in front of me but I think all experiences are valid.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will not be joining myself as I am not a big meat eater so I need vegetables best part of my meals always have been I can't do without them. Good luck to those doing Meaty May

Reactions: Chook

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I particularly dislike food one upmanship where people are dismissed as 'dirty carnivore' or 'not really c' because they drink coffee, or eat a garnish.
Come on though who wouldn't love to be a "dirty carnivore" hehe:D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As an example:

Your thoughts?

I’m with @wiflib and @bulkbiker - we set our own rules and it’s about the spirit of the thing. I can’t imagine an entire month with absolutely no chocolate/nuts (came very close in January but the odd square passed my lips), much as I’d like to ditch the habit, we live in the real world. Speaking of which, no idea how you limit yourself to 2. That’s up there with @Rachox and her 1 Jaffa cake!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria ....it's all your decision, but It could be rationalized by saying that by volume the ingredients are c, or the chocolate that you would be having anyway?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, I have prawns, homemade pate, frozen homemade lamb burgers, frozen slabs of salmon, and various cheeses in the fridge.
That should take care of background 'wotz for dinner' moments. Then there are plenty of eggs, more cheese and beef ribs coming in today's delivery. With cream, of course.

And I may run out of profiteroles earlier than forecast. Mr B has developed a penchant, and his portion sizes are less controlled...

I have been wearing a Libre the last 10 days. Will be sorry to see it go, but have noticed that there has been a change in my overnight readings this time. More steady, with no 2.30 am drop, and no consequent rise at 3am. This means that my DP has been less. Back n the mid 6s, after several months varyingly higher. The season? 15 months on carnivore FINALLY impacting? Less stress? Only time will tell.

Reactions: zauberflote

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pork steaks in the sous vide from yesterday... finished off most of the non carni naughties in the fridge last night (and had some raspberries with creme fraiche and cream... don't judge!) so all set for an OMAD carni month. Lets go!

Reactions: Brunneria
M

Member496333

@Brunneria I would just enjoy real hearty food and not worry about the labels that come attached.

As someone who considers himself paleo, but eats cream and cheese, this is a conundrum I’m very well aquatinted with. I say find what works for you, or of course enjoy experimenting with new things, but try to ignore branding yourself as being one particular type of eater.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Am I the only one who thought Meaty May was some kind of political insult?:rolleyes:

I do eat a lot of meat based products but I also rely on dairy so would struggle to join you.
Stewing beef in the slow cooker also usually involves tomatoes and onions.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good Luck everyone, though I doubt you need it.

I'd love to join in but I couldn't afford to do it for three people and as a Mum (yes, I know mine are XL grown up monsters) my bairns would always have to eat as well as I do. So, I'll stick to having carni days.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. I’ve been almost pure carni and OMAD for a week now. Almost. I have cream in my coffee (about 5mls) as opposed to coffee with my cream.
My lot are having a Mediterranean chicken dish tonight, I’ve got a pack of sliced sausage and the contents of a salt mill to cow down on.

See you later.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Was looking at some sides to have with some burgers tonight besides the bacon I have sitting in the fridge and saw that Matteson's smoked sausage has carbs yet the low fat variant doesn't, that was a bit of a surprise.

helenfodele

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will definitely be eating carnivore in May- as I have been carnivore, totally plant free, (except coffee) for nearly two years now. My life and my health are so much better, I will never turn back!

Reactions: Brunneria