old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi Guys and Girls
It has been suggested to me by a relative also with T2 that I should wear a SOS talisman or Medi-alert bracelet or necklace or something of that description with my medical history on it, as I also have HBP. (stress related)
What do you guys think, as I welcome your opinion.
I might add I am allergic to lots of fruits and pure aspirin. am 72 years old and male.

Thanks people

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wear an SOS Talisman on a chain round my neck. I like that you can write what you like on the paper insert. It’s waterproof so I don’t ever have to take it off.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a silver SOS talisman on a necklace too. Between type 2 and a myriad of other issues, it seemed like a good move.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wear one.
Although really it is more about the bee sting allergy and the gluten intolerance.
I have included the reactive hypoglycaemia, and not mentioned T2, since I only get RH and T2 blood glucose levels when on gluten AND too many carbs. Kind of like dominoes. One sets up the next, and the next, and then we all fall down.

It took me a while to get my head around being labelled, but the pros outweigh the cons.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good idea! Medical alert bracelets are there to tell people the things you can't say when you're unconscious. If doctors know some medical history they can help you better. There are a variety of styles you can get so you will be able to find one that suits you!

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi Guys and Girls
I am so glad I asked the question, Some people might have thought this was a bit OTT but I used to wear something similar in my youth as a motocross racer and scuba diver as a just in case, this was a simple "dog tag" saying do not give Aspirin and my blood group. engraved on the other side was my name address etc.
many thanks for your input I really appreciate it.
Stay well stay safe out there

Regards

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I've got a cheap rubber bracelet just saying T1. I've thought about getting one which has more detail on. I prefer the idea of a bracelet though as I think it's more likely to be seen if I flop and someone takes mu pulse

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here's mine from theidband.com
img_0869-jpg.25553

I can recommend them for a good product and very speedy service.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 366
Reactions: Mike d

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got mine tattooed on my arm in 3 languages :angelic:

Mostly because I work for an international company and needed to be able to communicate to as many people as possible :) only for diabetes though.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a bracelet (the logic is if I'm wearing a scarf and collapse, they'll at least take my pulse and find it in the way - a necklace could be missed / removed without being properly looked at) and an ICE app on my phone. They both have info of the meds I'm on, my GP and that I'm a parent carer, which should, hopefully, trigger some safeguarding if my son is with me or some phone calls to social workers if he's not.

However, I can - and do - take the bracelet off unless I'm going out. Partly because it's a little uncomfortable and I can't get used to it. Partly because I, too, struggle with the "label" thing. It's a compromise.

I didn't want to get an engraved bracelet - situations, medications all that stuff change. Instead, it has a little compartment that opens up with a little slip of paper inside, onto which I've written all the relevant info. The phone app is annoying as all heck, but is able to convey more information and I know that paramedics (in the UK at least) will check mobiles for info if a patient is alone and unconscious: the phone doesn't need to be unlocked for the info to be available, and I'm also able to ping a text and my GPD location to friends if I'm in trouble.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A3A3FD40-2079-4FA5-B51B-1901E8D8ACFF.jpeg

I couldn’t find any I liked, so I made this yesterday from scrap silver with some scrap red gold for the skull and crossbones. It’ll attach to a range of leather wristbands as well as a grungy style silver bracelet (which I’m making today), so I can chop and change how it looks. Personal details are on the back. This is just an initial “in progress” pic, the letters have been blackened further and the gold polished up.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a cheap rubber bracelet just saying T1. I've thought about getting one which has more detail on. I prefer the idea of a bracelet though as I think it's more likely to be seen if I flop and someone takes mu pulse

So long as they pick the correct wrist! ;)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand the bit about taking a pulse at the wrist which some people would do but you have a 50:50 chance of them picking the correct wrist and discovering a bracelet. As a retired nurse, I think you’ll find that most medical professionals will feel for a pulse at the neck in a collapsed person situation, so on those occasions a necklace is valid too.
I forgot I have the Medical ID available for view on lock screen too like @SockFiddler

D

Deleted member 308541

I forgot I have the Medical ID available for view on lock screen too like @SockFiddler
I have a Quoll Medical ID card, which works through a QR Code, I have the ID card in a case that I have on a lanyard around my neck. I also have a pix of it on my lock screen.

medical-card-600x600.jpg

I have blanked the QR code as this a public forum on the lock screen.

AWo9mk0.png