Sophiesophie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi amazing diabetes community !

I have searched high and low for any information/ stories from fellow diabetics regarding medical abortion, but cannot find a single thing, so am feeling very alone in all of this nightmare.

I have always been extremely careful and always used contraception so was shocked to find I had missed my period a few days ago. After feeling pretty ropey the previous week and having some unusual ( for me ) PMS symptoms, I found out I was pregnant, with several tests stating I am 2-3 weeks pregnant. Due to my financial position and my poorly controlled blood glucose levels ( I don’t think baby would be safe given my situation ) and after discussing with my boyfriend, I decided it was right I get a medical abortion; which I’m booked in for next week.

However, there is no information on wether this affects type 1 diabetics or not. I have read some horror stories on how intense the process can be; that it can induce vomiting/ a great deal of blood loss and am really looking for some guidelines or information on how I can prepare properly as a type 1 diabetic.

Any Advice/ personal stories of this situation would be SO much appreciated, as I am going into this blindly as my first ( and hopefully only ever ) abortion and am petrified as any one would be, along with the idea of having to care for my diabetes too.

Thank you so much for any guidance or help
Best wishes
xxx

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea, sorry, as I'm a rather infertile T2 (with a likely miscarriage when I was 18). But just wanted to send you big hugs.

You're still early days, so I'm hoping it won't be too impactful. Just do make sure you have a few days to recover in bed, just in case. Assuming there might be cramping and maybe some residual bleeding, maybe something to protect your matress like incontinence padding or a bit of bin liner between the sheets, and a hot water bottle/ibuprofen for your belly after.

All in all, just be as kind as possible to yourself. Bloods could go up for a bit because of the stress of the procedure, mentally and physically, but I think you may already be prepared for that.

Just, you know. More hugs from someone who's entirely useless in all this.
Jo

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No experience or advice to offer other than like Jo be very kind to yourself. Many years ago I looked after a dear friend (not diabetic) after a medical abortion and encouraged her to stay in bed for a few days with a hot water bottle and ibuprofen (whatever pain relief suits you). Equally important is to not blame yourself for the situation, things happen in life, we all have times we’d rather not have. This is defo a time for your partner to step up and look after you. Sending you best wishes and hugs.

Paule Foster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi amazing diabetes community !

I have searched high and low for any information/ stories from fellow diabetics regarding medical abortion, but cannot find a single thing, so am feeling very alone in all of this nightmare.

I have always been extremely careful and always used contraception so was shocked to find I had missed my period a few days ago. After feeling pretty ropey the previous week and having some unusual ( for me ) PMS symptoms, I found out I was pregnant, with several tests stating I am 2-3 weeks pregnant. Due to my financial position and my poorly controlled blood glucose levels ( I don’t think baby would be safe given my situation ) and after discussing with my boyfriend, I decided it was right I get a medical abortion; which I’m booked in for next week.

However, there is no information on wether this affects type 1 diabetics or not. I have read some horror stories on how intense the process can be; that it can induce vomiting/ a great deal of blood loss and am really looking for some guidelines or information on how I can prepare properly as a type 1 diabetic.

Any Advice/ personal stories of this situation would be SO much appreciated, as I am going into this blindly as my first ( and hopefully only ever ) abortion and am petrified as any one would be, along with the idea of having to care for my diabetes too.

Thank you so much for any guidance or help
Best wishes
xxx

Hi Sophie,
First of all so sorry you find yourself in this situation. I’ve not had a medical abortion but lost several babies in the first couple of months - one at 12-14 weeks. You are still very early so will probably be like a very heavy period with lots of clots. It’s groups of cells at this point do you won’t see anything. The cramps aren’t that bad with an early one but hot water bottle & alternate paracetamol & ibuprofen every 2 hours does the trick for me. Take a few days off & lots of self-care tlc. I wanted to be on my own with radio & light videos. Most of all be kind to yourself. Your boyfriend may want to be around a lot & “help” - I sent mine out to get snacks & explained I needed to sleep, be alone etc. You’ll take a while to process (months in my case) so again be kind to yourself, lots of rest & nice diet. Sit in the garden in the sunshine when you can. Your hormones will be crazy for a few weeks so explain this to your OH & anyone close, DON’T make any big decisions & keep a box of tissues handy. Crying (for no reason out of the blue) is actually helpful.
BG levels - no idea, but cortisol (stress hormone) has a big effect. Are you on a Libre 2 or another CGM? If not you can get a free one (lasts 2 weeks) to track you BG over this period - start a few days before of course. Then you’ll feel in control.
Very good luck xx

Sophiesophie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sophie,
First of all so sorry you find yourself in this situation. I’ve not had a medical abortion but lost several babies in the first couple of months - one at 12-14 weeks. You are still very early so will probably be like a very heavy period with lots of clots. It’s groups of cells at this point do you won’t see anything. The cramps aren’t that bad with an early one but hot water bottle & alternate paracetamol & ibuprofen every 2 hours does the trick for me. Take a few days off & lots of self-care tlc. I wanted to be on my own with radio & light videos. Most of all be kind to yourself. Your boyfriend may want to be around a lot & “help” - I sent mine out to get snacks & explained I needed to sleep, be alone etc. You’ll take a while to process (months in my case) so again be kind to yourself, lots of rest & nice diet. Sit in the garden in the sunshine when you can. Your hormones will be crazy for a few weeks so explain this to your OH & anyone close, DON’T make any big decisions & keep a box of tissues handy. Crying (for no reason out of the blue) is actually helpful.
BG levels - no idea, but cortisol (stress hormone) has a big effect. Are you on a Libre 2 or another CGM? If not you can get a free one (lasts 2 weeks) to track you BG over this period - start a few days before of course. Then you’ll feel in control.
Very good luck xx
Hi Paule,

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I am really really sorry you went through that; my heart goes out to you.

This sounds like what I would expect; That stress would probably be the most impacting thing on my blood sugars, inside from vomiting if I have that as a side effect from the pill ( apparently it’s very common ) Luckily I do have a CGM so that’s a relief and I can keep an eye on everything. I spoke to an advisor the other day and they let me know if I felt worried I would be able to go through the procedure in hospital, rather than at home, which gave me a little peace of mind that that is an option.
Thanks so much again !

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I spoke to an advisor the other day and they let me know if I felt worried I would be able to go through the procedure in hospital, rather than at home, which gave me a little peace of mind that that is an option.
It's great that they are offering you that support if you need it. I'm very lucky in that my contraceptives never failed me but given that they are taking your T1 into account I would have thought that you should be fine physically. My only suggestion would be to make sure you are up to date on T1 sick day rules and have some method of testing ketones, just to be on the safe side.

Take care, sending some virtual hugs.

Sophiesophie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's great that they are offering you that support if you need it. I'm very lucky in that my contraceptives never failed me but given that they are taking your T1 into account I would have thought that you should be fine physically. My only suggestion would be to make sure you are up to date on T1 sick day rules and have some method of testing ketones, just to be on the safe side.

Take care, sending some virtual hugs.
Thanks Ellie !

Thanks so much for your reply. Apparently my GP has reviewed everything and they are happy for me to go ahead at home. They have prescribed me anti nausea tablets just in case as they feel only the vomiting side effect will directly impact my blood glucose levels. Have taken the first pill this afternoon and so far, everything is ok. Thankfully it seems the medications do not affect blood sugar but I am fully prepared with ketone testing strips, my CGM and blood testing strips just in case and have been pre-warned of signs to look out for RE post infection xx