Medical Exemption Certificate- Who do I need to go to to get one?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When collecting my prescription, I was always aware of the fact that I was ticking the box that said I was under 18.

When I hit this age and went to collect my first prescription, I told my pharmacist that I couldn't tick this box anymore so she told me just to tick box E- I have a valid medical exemption certificate. I did so, but it didn't sit right with me, but just assumed this certificate was automatically it on my file due to my diabetes.

I recently found out that I was right and I do actually have to apply for and obtain this certificate.

My question is, who do I have to speak to to apply for it? My GP? My diabetic clinic?

If it's the GP, do I have to book an appointment to get the form to fill in? Or can I just drop by and ask for the form?

I'm at at total loss as I was never told, can someone tell me what I should do?

wilcl4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask the chemist for the form I got mine within 2 weeks if you need any meds in the mean time keep the till receipt from the chemist and you will get your money back upon receipt of your exemption certificate

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
D

Deleted Account

I got mine from my my GP's reception. Completed it and then took it back for Dr's signature.

I strongly recommend getting this sorted asap as there was a time recently when people treating diabetes with insulin without the medical exception certificate (which is more like a credit-card than the kind of certificate you may want to display on your office wall) were being changed for their prescription ... or, worse, getting fined.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone,

I'll pop in on the way home from work today and pick a form up. It's a little concerning that this isn't explained as soon as diabetics turn 18 considering this is such a big deal.

I'll post again if there are any problems!

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well that was interesting, I went to pick one up and asked the nurse if she could look up my NHS number- she outright refused telling me she was busy.

Got home to fill it in- the moron gave me a MATERNITY exemption certificate so now I have to go back to get another one!

D

Deleted Account

It's a little concerning that this isn't explained as soon as diabetics turn 18 considering this is such a big deal.
Many of the changes in circumstances which happen when you are 18 are also relevant to an adult when they are first diagnosed. I found that most newly diagnosed diabetes advice is aimed at children and have been disappointed there is nothing for newly diagnosed adults telling them about things like registering for medical exemption certificates, informing the DVLA and ensuring diabetes problems are covered by travel insurance.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've got a repeat prescription it might have your nhs number on it. The GP never told me I was eligible for free prescriptions - it was our lovely pharmacist who pointed it out.