Medical exemption ?

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
Hi guys/gals, just been diagnosed type 2, on tabs and diet. Have too have tabs for blood pressure as well. Sent for the medical exemption card, does anyone know how long they take to be issued ?

anniep

Re: Medical exemption?

I can't rememebr for sure, but it wasn't long, though my pharmacy filled the prescription anyway - I suppose having metformin on it, gave the game away............................

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi, mine took two weeks sent to me in the post after gp signed application form and lasts for 5 years, also hypothyroidism exempts you for free prescriptions, got mine years ago with underactive thyroid knackered after my one and only pregnancy. Anna.x

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC

medical exemption card, does anyone know how long they take to be issued ?
site below says Around 10 working days days

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1126.aspx

Medical exemption card is only for prescription Meds
will not cover you for Dental or new glasses

As a diabetic you are entitled to free eye tests

To be Honest i have never had to show mine i just tell then i am diabetic and tick the box on the back of the prescription.

There are other ways in which a person may get free NHS prescription charges. These include:

* because they, or their partner, get Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit;
* NHS Tax Credit exemption certificates, if they or their partner receive tax credits and satisfy the conditions to receive a certificate;
* NHS Maternity exemption certificates, if they are pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months;
* the NHS Low Income Scheme, because they have a low incom

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

this has tickled me...! cant see the lads getting a medical excemption card If pregnant! ha ha ha. x

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )

To Bowell/anna29,
Thanks for that. I still have a few working days to wait then. I will try just ticking the box and telling chemist, three lots of tabs is expensive ! Thanks again.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

If your medication is to control your diabetes ie metformin, glic etc then your chemist will know you are entitled to free prescriptions and probably wont query you if you say you are exempt, while you wait for your card.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC

Good Question

Q: How many need to show your medical exemption card :?: Every time To get your goodies

I never Have ? ,,,I always seem to leave mine in the draw at home :oops:
I always tick the box on the back

RussG

It was my pharmacist that told me I could have an exemption certificate and didn't charge me for the first metformin prescription whilst the paperwork was being sent off.

As Bowell says, perhaps just tick the box and if they ask (which I have to say feels unlikely) say you are waiting for the certificate to arrive.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

The only time I have ever been asked for it was at the hospital pharmacy when I was collecting a consultants prescription for some strong pain killers for my sciatic pain or blood pressure tablets prescribed at the hospital, I guess in the absence of diabetic drugs their not to know are they.

My local pharmacy has never asked for it.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)

I was asked, but my mum isn't, sometimes if you're over the age of 60 (or just look it!) they wont ask is what my mum was told.

anniep

No i've never been asked - I don't look over 60 but maybe i do look diabetic somehow....

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ive never been ask for it either
Sue

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, only get asked for it up at the hospital otherwise my own local chemist has my meds n history logged onto their system so never ask for it. Anna.x

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sid Bonkers said:
If your medication is to control your diabetes ie metformin, glic etc then your chemist will know you are entitled to free prescriptions and probably wont query you if you say you are exempt, while you wait for your card.
I'm always asked for it, and the medication for insulin and keppra (for epilepsy - which would also entitle me to free prescriptions if I didn't already get them), I don't think insulin and keppra have any use other than for conditions where you get a medical exemption, I think it's just 'the rules', they have to ask if they haven't seen the card before.

imalittlefishy

I've only ever been asked for mine if I'm not getting something that is obviously diabetes related...with insulin/needles/test strips (and likewise with metformin) I think they can safely assume you're a diabetic and exempt!
xx

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
imalittlefishy said:
(and likewise with metformin)

Metformin can be prescribed for things other than diabetes that aren't covered by exemption - my friend used to take it for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) - before I was diagnosed my GP was considerering giving it to me to help with my PCOS symptoms.

I have been asked for my exemption card but only by those not seen it before - I usually show it anyway

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would be exempt at my age (67) anyway, but here in Wales all prescriptions are free! :wink: :D
Regards,
Malc.