Medical Fridge & Vat

Kyota

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was looking at purchasing a small seperate medical fridge for storing insulin as the family fridge gets too full. Anyone who has ever checked would vouch they are quite expensive around £200+ for a small countertop fridge. My thoughts were that as a diabetic can you purchase a medical fridge without needing to pay VAT on the item? Has anyone had any luck in this matter?

D

Deleted member 308541

My thoughts were that as a diabetic can you purchase a medical fridge without needing to pay VAT on the item?
I do not like your chances on that, just shift or remove some food around in your main fridge so there is room.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was looking at purchasing a small seperate medical fridge for storing insulin as the family fridge gets too full.
Take the eggs out, they keep well outside the fridge and you'll have room for months of insulin. Otherwise, I have never paid more than 25 euro's for a fridge. What is a medical fridge? A second hand household fridge seems to do quite well for my insulin.

Reactions: Guzzler
D

Deleted member 308541

Take the eggs out, they keep well outside the fridge and you'll have room for months of insulin.
When a T2 insulin dependant friend stops at our place, that's where he keeps his insulin in our kitchen fridges egg compartment.

ncK7nHD.jpg

Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was looking at purchasing a small seperate medical fridge for storing insulin as the family fridge gets too full. Anyone who has ever checked would vouch they are quite expensive around £200+ for a small countertop fridge. My thoughts were that as a diabetic can you purchase a medical fridge without needing to pay VAT on the item? Has anyone had any luck in this matter?

If you are considering buying a truly medical fridge, then you will be paying significantly more than a domestic fridge. If you want to buy more fridge space, where you can store your medical supplies, without worry it'll be over-filled, I think you might find the justification, in terms of qualifying for VAT exemption, tricky, although I'm no expert.

If you look up the HRMC's exemption rules for medical equipment, it's outlined there, and if you look up medical fridges, your eyes may water quite a bit at the costs. (£400 +, inc VAT) https://www.hce-uk.com/epages/HCE-U...527&PageSize=36&OrderBy=ListPrice&OrderDesc=0

Bearing in mind you can access a small fridge and fridge thermometer for under £100, I'd be cracking on to decide if I really needed it and if you do, buy it.

On £100, my feeling is shopping around, with the likes of AO or the other big retailers, and their offers, you may just save more than the VAT you might or might not have paid.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
To be classed as a medical fridge, it must have the facility for measuring the minimum and maximum temperatures, which are recorded daily, and stored for a time period. Also, temperature must be uniform throughout the fridge. Because of this, there is the large price hike.
You don't need this at home, I advise following the advice of previous posters.

D

Deleted member 308541

Bearing in mind you can access a small fridge and fridge thermometer for under £100, I'd be cracking on to decide if I really needed it and if you do, buy it.
My meat thermometer cost me $2.00 at Aldi here in Bundaberg, the fridge egg compartment it's in, cost $800.00 plus GST. Pix in post #5 of both.

Zodiak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gardning
Buy ordinary fridge at Argos uk £30.00