medical tags

dot

My son, nearly 13 and type 1 for the last year, is going to visit his aunt in London over half term - his first outing away without parents since diagnosis.

I really think he should have some type of medical tag before he goes, but being teen in a rural farming community I can't see him taking kindly to the idea of wearing a bracelet. I wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to a product we could use. I was thinking perhaps a "charm" type thingy which could go on his watch strap, or perhaps could be fitted on to one of those ultra trendy surfer type bracelets - the type with leather straps that wrap round the wrist.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Ta

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
icegems.com really nice surfer style stuff and have a sale on

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I have little faith in such appendages. I have always worn a bracelet myself - and continue to do so - but only to keep friends and family from worrying. They should perhaps be more worried that in 27 years and numerous "events", not a single paramedic or policeperson has ever noticed the bracelet or taken note of the information clearly indicated thereon. On one occasion the bracelet was actually stolen along with my watch, and I was only rescued later and dealt with appropriately by my compatriots. I'm certain others will report marvellous stories of salvation and dare-do with them, but I remain unconvinced (if a little cynical).

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
I too wear a bracelet, sos talisman plus I have a sticker in my car windscreen alerting to the fact that I have a bracelet.
But as I love tattoos I am getting one done on the inside of me right arm :wink: I like to make sure :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
kay957 said:
I saw those ones on here that are like the support bands like you get for Anti Bullying and dog charities, kids I am sure would wear them?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetic-prod ... tband.html

I think kids are the last people who would want to wear them. I showed my 8 year old and there's no way she'll wear that, it screams "look at me I'm different" which is the last thing kids want.

Icegems have some nice items and my daughter was happy to point out several items that she'll wear, they have some nice looking items for boys too.

dot

We will have to sit down together to find something he will wear - I haven't broached the subject yet though. I have a nasty feeling his reaction is not going to be positive or particularly receptive.

I think though that if it is made a condition of him going to see his aunt he'll be more likely to accept it as he really does want to go (he has been looking forward to going to the Natural History Museum since he was 7!).

Fujifilm

What about the U-Tag sport - http://www.utagice.com/acatalog/UTAG_-_Sports.html looks ok and the beauty of the USB is he can have all his details and name of medications, amount he takes etc. recorded on it.

Plug it in PC and its all there, like others have said, medical bods might take any notice, but the reason I ordered one is, should I have a problem and with luck someone contacts my wife, she can tell them that all my info is on the USB on my wrist, she is then not trying to remember all my medications.

Also I am due to go away with some mates who are not the brightest, I will tell them if anything happens to me the info is on the USB.

If I am 200 miles from the nearest computer it could be a problem. :lol:

dot

The our most recent visit to the DN Lestyn was given a new information pack that they are asking for ideas and comments on. Its much more comprehensive than the info we were given at diagnosis. He noticed that it mentioned wearing ID and he told me that the leaflet said he should wear ID. He was actually really receptive to the idea (which really surprised me) and so we sat down and trawled the internet to see if he could see anything he would feel happy to wear. He came up with this.
http://www.iceid.co.uk/products/MEDI-LE ... ED%29.html

I thought this looked ok as you can always replace the plaque if your contact details change. So I will have to order one now and will have little more peace of mind when he is off on his own.

Any guidance on what to put in it in order of impotance? I am guessing there won't be room for much more than Type 1 diabetic and an emergency telephone no.

jopar

I assune Lestyn carries a mobil phone with him..

So if you need to keep the id plauge short, T1 and emergency phone, but perhaps is NHS number, so his medical records can be located quickly if needed..

On his mobile, use ICE as a name (emergency services regonise this) and add futher he's T1 and emergnecy contact numbers here as well... Now a days it's probably more likely in an emergency they will look at his phone for a contact number...