MedicAlert bracelets?

sub

Where have you got yours from?

Charlotte is only 2 and it's proving difficult to get a bracelet for her.
My mum bough her one from www.universalmedicalid.com It's ok, but the disc is too long for her wrist and the nylon is rough on her skin.

I've looked at the velcro ones from www.medicalert.org.uk but not sure how long they'd last for. And the £50 pricetag puts me off a bit (includes years membership)

Other alternative I though of was just getting the metal tag and making my own bracelets instead - but where can I get the tag only from?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sub,

Why not try a local jewelers and ask if they have something suitable what could be engraved, or alternatively they may be able to make something suitable which can be adjusted as your child grows older, outdoors markets can be a lot cheaper than high street shops but either way don't forget to ask for a price in advance.

Nigel

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have a MedicAlert bracelet for Jess, but we do have a simple beaded bracelet that has the word "diabetic" on it. Jess never goes anywhere at this age without an adult, all I simply want people to know if there was an emergency is that she has diabetes. Further emergency contact details are kept in her test kit so that information is available if it is looked for. The bracelet is one I bought from an Ebay seller. Each bead has a letter on it, usually spells the child's name, but we chose the letters to spell diabetic. It's pretty, cheap and suitable for a younger child. When Jess gets a little older and starts wanting to be out on her own more then I'll invest in a more expensive bracelet that will have emergency contact info engraved on it. Two sites I have in mind for this are icegems and designs-by-diana.com.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I didn't like the idea of a beaded one when my son was little in case it broke and he swallowed or choked on them. I actually ordered a quite expensive one from the US that is on a webbing band and I was able to get a name, phone number and call 000 (Australia's emergency number) put on the back. Hopefully you can see the photo.

I've seen some others here that aren't too bad. You could google star alerts. One of the other bracelets I have has the metal plate threaded onto the webbing and it nearly cuts Khaleb.

Attachments

• Medic 2.JPG
    Medic 2.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,204

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
PS. I really like the clip on this also as I have to be quick putting it on or off so it isn't fiddly at all.

mtr01

Thanks for the info..

Having recently joined this forum, i was pleased to find a thread about free tags & medical jewllrey. Having pondered on do i /dont i wont one, i duly sent my self addressed envelope away. Today i recived my "freebie" necklace and tag from drwf.org.uk. Thankyou. I now hope that if i need medical assistance while out & about, hopefully somebody will see the dogtag im wearing. :D :D