Medication & Skin Sensitivity to the sun

Mash69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, just have a quick question regarding the medication I'm taking. I have been taking Glucophage SR for the last 10 days. Just wondered if any of you had encountered a sensitivity to the sun whilst taking medication. I had to go to A & E as broke out in a rash/hives/spots after spending a little time in the sun. The rash only appeared on the areas exposed to the sun. I was advised to take piriton as they thought it may have been a food reaction or possibly bite? But later on it dawned on me that it could be the medication reacting with the sun? Thanks everyone.....Michelle

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Mash69 I don't take any medication so can't help you, but I suggest Googling the medication and possible side effects.

Mash69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Mash69 I don't take any medication so can't help you, but I suggest Googling the medication and possible side effects.
Thank you archersuz . I did google and it said there was a possibility of sun sensitivity.....just wondered if anybody else had encountered experience of it. Thanks for replying though, appreciate it. Have a good evening

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on Metformin and wasn’t aware of particular sun sensitivity, but thank you for raising the issue. A quick Google confirms that extra sensitivity to sunlight can be experienced and I found warnings that you shouldn’t use sun beds whilst on Metformin.

Mash69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on Metformin and wasn’t aware of particular sun sensitivity, but thank you for raising the issue. A quick Google confirms that extra sensitivity to sunlight can be experienced and I found warnings that you shouldn’t use sun beds whilst on Metformin.
Hi Rachox & thank you for your reply. I sought the opinion of my doctor today who said he is as sure as he can be that the Metformin has caused sensitivity to the sun. I have only been on meds for 10 days, have never reacted to the sun before. Advised high factor sun cream, cover up where possible & to shade. Here's a photo of the reaction
20180604_110105.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox & thank you for your reply. I sought the opinion of my doctor today who said he is as sure as he can be that the Metformin has caused sensitivity to the sun. I have only been on meds for 10 days, have never reacted to the sun before. Advised high factor sun cream, cover up where possible & to shade. Here's a photo of the reaction View attachment 26847

Ouchie!